Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

NAM Gyro 500 (Lurking in NTSE since New Years)

Re: NAM Gyro 500 (Update)

He'd need to talk to Wazu first (Wazu might even be the one to suggest going all free market with this item) but it isn't specifically against his contract to sell things himself.

About slightly less than a meter, actually. The initial gunpowder charge causes the gyrobullet to go way faster than the RPB rocket does, since the gyrobullet is meant to go as fast as a normal bullet of it's same caliber as soon as it leaves the barrel. Thus the bullet covers more distance before the rocket fuel actually kicks in. A gyrobullet goes about 3 times faster than an RPB rocket before the fuel charge kicks in, which is why it's considered to be an 'upgrade' of sorts.

The rocket fuel would probably still ignite even while within a target... but it's possible it won't (flip a coin, I dunno). However, the explosive charges at the tip would still be effective regardless of distance, and the resulting explosion could well ignite the fuel if it hasn't already been set off.

There are some cons and pros about having a gyrobullet gun. In one hand you have it's destructive power, on the other, you have it's destructive power. Meaning, if you shoot the thing into a wall near you, or you miss-fire into the holster, you're going to feel the effects near you. The bullet is gonna blow up and shrapnel across a nearby distance, which could potentially be hazardous to you.

I edited the article to reflect what I've said here, if that's what you wanted...

Well, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that (Mach 3 projectile + body = not good, which should be obvious)... but I'm going to interpret that question as "Would the gyrobullet, if penetrating someone within the distance of a meter or closer and exploding, affect both the shooter and the victim?"

Depends. There are a lot of factors that have to be taken into account.

First off, it would depend on the material of the target (intended or not intended) and it's consistency.

If the wall the gyrobullet would be accidentally shot against were made of, say, wood, it would probably burst into the wood and shatter the wood when it explodes. The splinters and maybe a few shrapnel would blast in the direction of the u blah blah blah huge explanation.

I was going to explain this in detail, but I feel a summary works better. Basically, either two things can happen: the gyrobullet penetrates the material, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, then you have the problem of the gyrobullet exploding out in the open. If it does penetrate, then the gyrobullet will blow up within the material, and chances are little to none that there will be a problem.

The case with flesh is that the gyrobullet penetrates and explodes inside the target. The material is soft enough that the gyrobullet penetrates, but there is enough of the material present to sink the tip of the gyrobullet into the explosive chamber which then ignites the explosive charge. The gyrobullet would then explode within the target, but with the organs, muscles, bones and other cartilage being in the way of the shrapnel, the resulting blown-off pieces would just displace across the body and come to a stop.

And that brings us to our second factor: how thick the target is.

Obviously shooting a forearm or shin would cause the target limb to be basically blown in half, but would the shrapnel affect the shooter if the victim is close enough? It's possible. The shrapnel could well blow out of the victim and cause some damage to the shooter. Thigh or a shoulder? Depends on thickness, but usually it's thick enough to stop outgoing shrapnel.

However, if you shoot the torso, it's not gonna happen, as the torso is much thicker and deeper. The head might have differing results depending where it's shot, but chances are not as likely once more due to the bone structure stopping outgoing shrapnel from coming out.

Finally, the third and last prominent factor that should be taken into account is round type.

A standard gyrobullet round would not be able to penetrate into most walls before it explodes. An armor piercing gyrobullet, however, would, because it's tip is made sharper and more durable, thus allowing it to penetrate into a target before exploding regardless of what material it is (well, excluding some really strong materials and metal alloys and all that, but common materials would be most likely penetrated and whatnot).

There are other factors, such as how the gyrobullet hit (if it grazed, it's obviously not going to explode, as the tip didn't even touch the target), where/what the gyrobullet hit (if it shot a hole into an ear or tore a finger in half, the tip charge won't be triggered as it is not sufficient material to push the tip down and cause an explosion, whereas shooting through a hand might cause the gyrobullet blow in mid-air), etc...

The gyrobullet is not something taken lightly. And again, the weapon was designed with Freespacer Automata in mind. For automata the bullet shrapnel wouldn't be a problem at all, since they're made of metal and all. To any fleshy being, however, it might pose a potential threat.

It should be noted, though, that the fragments are pretty small, and chances are not a lot of them are going come out if they just burst from inside a body part. If you're wearing thick clothing or some amount of armor, you're basically safe from any collateral.

I think a lot of the outcomes of the use of the gyrobullet should be determined by judgment factor from the GMs and the players but the above are the standard guidelines of how it'd work.

You are firing a bullet that goes Mach 3 close to the shooter. Would the resulting shockwave harm the shooter? Is what I am trying to say. :|

A sonic boom isn't going to be any more harmful from this gun than from any other gun.

Well, you have a point there. Not so much in that it would hurt the shooter though, because there are modern high-performance rifle cartridges that have a muzzle velocity that is actually faster than Mach 3.

However, these are rifle cartridges.

It's understandable that they would have much more propellant in them, not to mention a longer barrel that they're being shot from, and thus have a much higher muzzle velocity than those in handguns. On the other hand, it's also understandable that this is the future, and chemical propellants have quite possibly evolved considerably since 'then' through either nano-scale manipulation and other such things (metamaterials and whathaveyou), and it's clearly possible (to be expected, even) that a hangun's muzzle velocity would increase because of to this evolution.

I'm going to lower the speed by a little (probably Mach 2.5 or something), and perhaps then lower the distance traveled before the rocket fuel ignites, to lower the intensity of speed by just a notch.

Tbh, I thought that the common muzzle velocity was around Mach 3. You learn something new every day, I guess.

Well, I think all the changes that had to be made were made. Just making sure you guys know that this article is ready for approval.

It's not waiting on me, at least, as far as I know.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back