• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Nano-ring /universal nanobotic item/

115 was added when manufactured ages ago and will supply the wisebots with energy for almost an eternity. No further need to refill, and is to be thrown away when batteries are depleted. ^___^ Anyway, less than 1 gramm of radioactive material will probably have little destructive-effect. The radioactivity is turned into energy by the wisebots directly, unlike in nuclear plants where there is heat generated and thus water is turned into steam is used to operate turbines.

As for niobium, it still remains quality conducting material on room temperature. Not superconducting, of course, I only mentioned that they still present one of the best conducting abilities available. Note that in today's electronics niobium is used only in alloys because of its immense production cost and rare availability.

Okay, I updated everything you asked for. Awaiting questions, suggestions, criticism, whatever moves yer boat.

PS.: sorry 'bout the double post.

"Instinctual mental connection?"

I thought it would be the closest to how I imagined, but you're quite right that I didn't explain that.

We already know the artificial nerve connection between ring and brain, so... I'll just skip that.

What I meant is that you cannot create items with too much detail or over-complicated structure. Such are decorative items: sculptures, statues, fancy metalwork and such. Complicated structures restriction: even if the user knows how (for example) a pistol works, he can't just imagine that he is holding the firearm and create it. Weapon parts are possible, but only separately and only with necessary materials and knowledge.

Oh, I found a better word already: spontaneous! (Is it really better ?_?)

St00pid example:
I'll stick to the popular sword for now. The weapon created is not actually a sword with hild and blade, but rather a blade forming on the user, in this case, the arm. To achieve this, the user must 'imagine' that the claw grows and is attached to his arm. The bots act accordingly to the signal and form the blade. Action of course is not instantaneous. The time of 'production' is determined by the mass of the item, of course.

Assume that enough nanobots are in reserve to move. The user 'sends the command' to the bots to rearrange into the shape of a sword (whatever type the user prefers from European style longswords, epée swords or even Eastern style blades). An epée sword would be ready in about 1 to 1,5 seconds. A katana sized sword would take about 3,5 seconds, because it has not only a blade but a dangerous edge as well. A LARGE blade, similar to those of double handed swords, could take up to 7 or 8 seconds.
This is merely an example. The user can create a duster or a small dagger even, or separate a knife from the reserves. Quality of the blade depends whether it was created hastily or with time to adjust minor details (surface, edge), but don't expect a blade with dragons and 'pwetty icons' engraved in it. The former can result in very poorly made weapons, while the latter can be almost or just as good as a hand-made piece.

I hope I was more reassuring than puzzling. ^______^"""

Don't you think that is a little fast for a ring-sized amount of little molecules?

It's not really the nanobots in the ring that construct the item, but the 'fodder-bots' created by the 'wisebots'. Reserves can be anything from an already built block of bots or the nanobotic metal shirt on your arm and back.

Back to the sword example:
True that if you put for example a block-o-bots straight next to the ring and your arm, construction is faster than when you have your reserves all around your torso.

However, if you believe the construction times are overpowered, let's compromise for a more appropriate amount. (Note that we can't render the poor lil' things too slow either. In that case, nanobots would be almost useless in any systems' repairs and structure.)

Any more suggestions? I'll gladly work on answers for 'ya.

The technology isn't so bad (I don't like the tiny "supercomputers" though) but I'm kind of skeptical about this whole "ancient technology" thing (Not just for this ring).

Didn't the Thaxarians get rid of their tech?

You shall find the story behind the ring in my bio. But better to be brief, I shall brief it briefly. ( ;) ) As you pointed out, Thaxarians decided to get rid of modern technology, or at least as much as possible. Here come Kilian and friends to the picture.

Kilian was a member of a machine cult in their homeworld, and as the order for destroying modern technology was issued, this cult of elite scientists decided to preserve (or rather: save) their greatest achievements. Many other Thaxarians had their memories deleted, put into escape pods and were launched into space. Kilian was the only survivor (due to a rather malevolent meteor storm, which occured shortly after their escape) and landed many years later in Nepleslia.

That's about it in a nutshell. Tell me if there is anything else up to be explained or modified! :)

The last thing is the super computers. How is it possible to have a "supercomputer" that small?

You got me there, to be honest, but we cannot comprehend such advanced miniaturalisation procedures. I mean... everything can be fashioned to be smaller and smaller with great care.

But if their size is truly a pain, I'll cook something up. ;)

I have only one idea as of now.
How about if half of the ring was the supercomputer, while the rest was a pile of advanced harvesting and building bots? In that case, the solid base could send the signals to the rest of the bots, and it isn't as small as a single bot separately. Hmmm? :)

That would work (half computer). Edit the original post to include the information you added during the discussions (and slow it down some to be more realistic/fair) and you should be good to go.

B'right on it!

But... How much slower were you thinking about precisely? Meaning: what would be considered fair yet still threatening enough?

Oh, and while you're checking up on techs and sheets: if the ring is approved, would you look at my bio as well, please? The rest of the guys said that only the ring as an item is an issue now.

I was thinking like 30 seconds or so. >,>

Wow, half a minute's loooong. I suppose that would vary for various items, from spoons to bastard swords. Hmmm... At too slow speed, nanobots are useless in almost any system in combat.

How about... 5,8 inches per second? A 1 meter long, sharp edged blade would take about... 8 seconds? If you try it out maybe on a table, pulling your finger at a constant speed, 8 seconds really ain't too fast. But half a minute is a liability. (Has anyone else heard what the average survival time of a US soldier in Vietnam was? I heard it was SEVEN friggin' seconds.)

Suppose that reserves range from your wrist up 'till the middle of your upper arm. The time until the bots reach the hand takes about 3 secs. 5 seconds left to construct a blade. With that much time, you build a combat-ready blade about 1,7/1,8 times the length from the middle of your upper arm to your wrist.

Edit: Wes, is it possible that I change the base bots and ring metal to zesuasium? I read that it's widely used and extremely resistant. I'm thinking about long term use, and don't really want the ring to wear and tear. :?

Oh wouldn't it be nice if it wasn't restricted. Heh, It's basically only used for Neko Power Armor, and Sometimes Yamataians.Plus if the ring was created on thaxaria it would most likely be darksteel.

20 seconds to make 1 meter of blade armament is just about as suicidal as 30 seconds. Such a long timespan won't make a serious difference in close quarters combat. Isn't that so? :?

I am willing to decrease average build speed to 4,5 inches / s, but only for weapons with sharp edges. An epée type sword in that case will have a speed bonus construction-wise.

Deal? ;)

3. If you're going to be in a fight, you should be prepared for it at least a little in advance.

Of course, that's what reserves are for around the whole body. However, I might need the speed in an emergency. I already waste a whole lot of time if I don't have any reserves on me.

And you might also go shady or covert ops if you catch my drift. :)

I'll raise you an 0,75 and how about we call it settled? ;)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back