• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Need a Hand with Grocery Store

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
I've started working on a grocery store since Star Army doesn't really have one, and it's something players will be able to spend their character's money on (we need more of those). This store is for Yamatai since that's my faction, but if @Koenig808 approves we can use them for Nepleslia, too.

The problem is I'm super busy right now, for many reasons. So I was wondering if anyone could please help me out by going in there and working on it.

Here's what I need you to do:
  1. Add whatever items seem reasonable for a small grocery store to have
  2. Add prices for each item (in KS). You reference real-world prices and just change dollars to KS, or just make them up based on what feels right. Note that product sizes should be in metric measurements, since that's what Yamatai typically uses (e.g. no gallons of milk or pounds of flour).
Even doing just one of the departments would be a big help to me.

The thing about a grocery store would be why and how would we RP there? Most of our characters are in the military, so food is supplied.

The thing about a grocery store would be why and how would we RP there? Most of our characters are in the military, so food is supplied.

For the times when you'll have plots that are not military or who take on a more civilian role over that of a military one. Its always best to be prepared for if/when that happens.

I'm attempting to make more support for civilian plots. Also, it's entirely possible for a military supply or military cook character to shop at a store to buy items for a small starship like the Eucharis.

I'm attempting to make more support for civilian plots. Also, it's entirely possible for a military supply or military cook character to shop at a store to buy items for a small starship like the Eucharis.
For the times when you'll have plots that are not military or who take on a more civilian role over that of a military one. Its always best to be prepared for if/when that happens.
Point taken.

I'll have some comments to make later about this (which will be constructive), but as food for thought I'd ask you three questions:
-How does a store like this compete with online ordering services that could thrive using Yamatai's net infrastructure and ubiquitous mental net access and wouldn't need physical storefronts?
-What kind of service do people expect inside? Do they use mostly trained people, androids slaved to a central computer or maybe just robotic kiosks?
-Do they have any specialty goods that make them especially popular? Do they sell health food? Beauty products under an in-house brand? Fresh produce grown on-site? Do they offer vat-meat so realistic that they can simulate specific cuts of meat and even bones and marrow?

The Sakishima over a year ago did a break episode that we were home, My character the Captain bought the crew all condos. They rped shopping for food and housewares for a big party we did. And the Fun Part was the simple fact it was a break from the military norm of the Sakishima's main mission statement, and allowed us to play house :p

This is a pretty cool idea, I'm sad it was never finished! I love the little details about SARP that other RP sites just don't have. There are manufacturers, entertainment companies, even superstores, just like in real life. It goes a long way towards making the SARP universe feel like it could be a real place. I might take up this project at some point, the art is already there, it just needs a list of products.

Since ZHS deals a bit more in non-military life, I have started exploring some ideas related to the Tsubomi School Store and possibly the Tsubomi Mall. I've talked to Wes about one idea, which I'll hopefully be able to show off sometime in the coming months. But the plot is certainly a good opportunity for stuff like this, if anyone is interested.

I think little things like this are important just cause they add to background and those times when even in the military you have shore leave or the like. I remember doing a long term Star Trek campaign and the little things that would pop up added to that experience or when I was creating a star wars campaign. The idea's that when you go on a planet and you have some familiar items pop up adds to that plot. I mean I know in the star army you can get a house after 3 years of service heck wouldn't it be that little factor that you take that time with a loved one or friend do shopping talking about those experiances you had or just things your catching up on you have some familiar store fronts and products? I mean I know in canada if you talked about me and a friend met up in a tim hortens you would be like oh I know what exactly that store looks like or mcdonalds. Now it takes a while for people to accept the brand but I think it can help in those little moments.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back