• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Nekovalkyrja, Neko, and Valkyrja - Proper usage?

Nashoba

SARPaholic & Admin
Convention Veteran
Retired Staff
I realize that this is moving into the realm of semantics, but I have seen different usages of these.

Nekovalkyrja - proper name for all NH Species.

Is there a plural? Nekovalyrjas?

But I've seen these used as well:
Neko - seen as short hand for Nekovalkyrja, occassionally as a epithet, slur

Nekos - plural of Neko

Valkyrja - Seen this used in dialog by a Nekovalkyrja almost as a pride statement

Can we get some clarification on this?

Nekovalkyrja: Full species name, proper term. Singular or plural.
Neko/Nekos: Most common short form of Nekovalkyrja.
Cat/Cats: Racial slur primarily used by Lorath and Neko-haters.
Valkyrja or Valkyrie/Valkyries: Increasingly popular among Nekovalkyrja, emphasizing their "warrior" nature.

Speculation: Valkyrie might eventually replace Nekovalkyrja as the official species name due to its more "mature" and less "mixed" nature.

Valkyrja or Valkyrie/Valkyries: Increasingly popular among Nekovalkyrja, emphasizing their "warrior" nature.

First time I encounter the term myself in this context... but I can clearly picture the nekovalkyrja supremacists backing that one as they push for the independence/superiority of their own species. I'd expect most fine with their lot or favorably-inclined toward humans to give the new appellation a raised eyebrow and a shrug.

If I may ask, Wes, please don't use Valkyrie. I had plans for something on Kohana using this name, probably a weapon or armor, and it would be confusing to have it a dual term.

Though, if by the end of February, you don't see anything from me using it, I rescind this protest.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back