• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Submission [neplesia] - Garden variety Stabbage

Raycaster

Inactive Member
Submission URL
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=items:food:stabbage
Submission Faction(s)
  1. Nepleslia
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
I had an idea for a new plant to introduce into the setting, and after some consultation, it was decided that it would most likely be a neplesia plant. So, I'll go ahead and suggest it as that, and frame it with some reasoning for its inclusion there. And maybe elsewhere.

On the surface, and in brief, a stabbage is a plant that closely resembles a breed of cabbage, but in the center of the leaves is a spike or thorn growing out from the stabbage heart. Grown for food and makeshift weapons.

I'm not sure if it conforms exactly to templates, but that's where the copyedit process comes in, yeah?

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hey Ray!

Fun article. :) Here's a few things that stand out on a quick glance.

It's common to have a bit of text after the each section, including the initial one. Under the very first 'Stabbage' header, you should include a brief description of what the plant is and what it's most important qualities are. Think of it like, "If someone only reads this one section, I want them to come away with a good understanding." It's also normal to include a year that the item was 'released', but in this case - maybe when people realized it wasn't just normal cabbage?

Template wise, it looks like we don't have anything for a specific plant species. I think you're okay with this approach, but I have some suggestions.

These two templates seem relevant:
You might be able to pull a few things from those over to make the article look more 'official'. The damage portion in particular would benefit from the same formatting as the Ammunition on the 'Weapon' template. (
[[guide:damage_rating_v3|Purpose]]: (Damage Rating here - Tier XX, Heavy/Medium/Light Anti-Personnel/Armor/Mecha/Starship/Capital Ship)
)

I think you'd be well served to break the 'Description' block into a few sub-sections. Taste, Harvesting, etc.

Other possibilities are things like how much it costs, etc, but that's just further roleplay considerations.

All in all, very nicely thought out.

Some notes on what comes next:
After submission, the community has at least 3 days to take a look and comment. Once the 'timer' has expired, an NTSE mod can take a more formal look. If the article is in good shape, has had no objections raised, and has an FM approval from the appropriate faction/s, then it is usually given the approval stamp. If any issues are discovered, those will be called out for you to resolve before approval can be granted.

Once approved, the submission thread is relocated to the 'Approved' (or Rejected) forum and the article itself is moved out of the wip: namespace for you. And that's it!

Thanks again for the submission! If no one has picked this up for review in a few days, I'll do the honors.

I'll see about what I can fix up on it shortly. The main idea I have is what's there, but the formatting can get an update, yeah.

I sUPER want to know what part of the plant the base/handle would be made of. In my head the thumb would probably rest right about where a normal cabbage gets splayed apart- the part I normally tear off to separate the root from "fruit". Honestly? Saying that the stabbage has a cool reinforced tap root cluster that acts as the handls would be enough.

FM approved.

It could probably have a bit of tap root as a handle, an opposed tapering grip... although I mostly envisioned the shoot to be long enough that you could carve some grip/traction at the base. Although I also think it would be based more on a cone cabbage, the shoot would extend up through it similarly to a red cabbage, only narrower, smoother, and pointier.

Pic: Red Cabbage Cross Section

Yeah if the shoot extended more it would make sense, alright! I really wanted to wrap my head around it the way you envisioned- thank you. Approval stands, have fun editing the requests that your reviewer requested and thank you for this lore addition!

Hello! Let's see if this submission meets the requirements for inclusion in Star Army's lore...

[ ✅ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ✅ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ✅ ] 3. The article follows our wiki-style guidelines, including No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✅ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ✅ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate and are not broken
[ ✅ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ ✅ ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ✅ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ✅ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ✅ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Approved!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back