Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Nepleslia

Status
Not open for further replies.
*shrugs* Personally I think anyone that has a good idea and motivation should be able to be to GM to a degree, perhaps the informal style of play that has been going around Nepleslia recently.

For example - in the Angel plotline - who is the GM?

That is the one where you have made all but 2 of the posts, where you have set up story, characters, and ect, and has been inactive for about half a month?

Anyone can GM, very few can actually get people to want to play.

Really? That long? Wait ... *looks* 10 days dude, and Doshii's really busy.

It's working anyway. I think the GM should be decided on a plot to plot basis really. Have a good plot in mind? Mention it here.

It is a PvP role-play we want to set up so there is no plot, just conflicting characters. A good GM for a PvP plot merely needs to play his character with those guidelines in mind and manage the NPCs in the world in a fair and unbiased manner.

Oh yeah, and draw people in and all that fun stuff.

Tom has dissapeared and should have been back by now or at least dropped a line. As it is he can't really do his moderator job either.

Calm down so I can finish my post. Here:

I have some ideas for a plot I wanted to begin; I was talking with Thomas about it before Easter, but I was holding off until I had more time. Now that Zack's happened to bring it up and I see there's a "market" for it, I'd like to suggest the method for RP.

Of course, I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to take charge, it's just that I would definitely like to see a plot similar to the old Assassin's War in Ayenee and I meant to propose such a plot. I don't know if it'd work in this community because the focus was usually on combat, and it was epic in a sense but didn't end up going much of anywhere because no one wanted to take damage. It's not that it was all combat, there was some intrigue and social interaction as well, but as a means to battle. And since I'm not sure how much everyone is up for mindless gang fights over and over, that would have to be improved.

Nevertheless, some of the best stuff I recall was social interaction. Betrayals, espionage, and all that. Most stuff was what's called "JPing" here; SPs were usually short affairs detailing the actions of a character if the actions were important but no one else was around IC or OOC. JPs were usually done spontaneously if the guys involved were online--it could be as few as two or three or up to something like five to ten, but not often a very large amount of people. So basically, if you saw some of the guys from your group online, you might have a meeting with them, or if you saw some enemies, you might have a fight (or a meeting with them, if you'd like). Most of the time a skirmish or whatever would be completed in one night, so anyone could be available.

Again I apologize (especially to Zack since he suggested the thing) if it sounds like I'm taking charge, I just saw this as an opportunity to propose this "plot." Of course, while I had Nepleslia in mind, I don't actually know much of anything about the situation there at all, or whether something like this could be worked into the current plot or would stand alone. John and I actually had something in mind for the Street War plot, but we've had no time.

There's kinks to work out; as much as I'd like something exactly like the Assassin's War but in a different setting, that wouldn't work. First, there'd have to be several people involved. ZCorp was three people, so it's not like we'd have to have the whole community in on this, but anyone up for it would be nice, since there has to be more than one side. There was also an independant board where the plot was going on, and frequent posts might clutter the Nepleslia board up if there's stuff like the Angel and Street War plots going on separately.

It's all up for discussion, of course. If people are interested, I'll be thrilled, but if this isn't what yall had in mind, I'll be cool with that too. To answer some of the issues raised in the thread:

I thought by GM Zack meant one who controls exactly where the plot goes. As I said, I've always thought more of independant RP. A moderator would probably be necessary to run the forum, but most OOC conflicts were resolved by the players and moderators only when player discussion degenerated into argument.

In a more general sense: There is a necessity for a plot, because even without those people unskilled at or unwanting of PvP, endless, mindless battles would become meaningless. While it'd be nice for most people to be ready to fight if necessary, there's nothing wrong with one having a character that stays at home or base and interacts with the others through means other than combat. Additionally, while social RP becomes pointless and redundant when it is the focus, it's a lot of fun when there's actually a plot that the players shape. I'm talking about making plans, spying, betraying, and infiltrating, that sort of thing.

I'll be happy if someone's interested in this, but I'd think it's a long shot because it's not everyone's cup of tea, and some of those who might want to participate might be busy. I'm still rather busy, but I'll hopefully be around to discuss this PvP plot even if it's done in a different manner than what I've described. I really don't want to force this on anyone especially since I'm not the guy who suggested this RP in the first place, but I think it could work out beautifully (of course it could be a disaster, but let's stay optimistic :P).

I think it's a great idea, and would gladly go along with it. From what I saw of the Assassins war, it was great, and some good PvP action of the type would be a wonderful addition to the site.

I'm willing to use those organisation I control in it, even before we discuss this (as who controls what), any further.

This will never be as good as the assassin's war unless characters that their player's really care about are on both sides.

So this all boils down to 'who is going to start something?' which of course no one can really do because the person controlling both the government and the gangs is gone. That is why I asked that a new GM be appointed so that we can begin.

I'm not seeing the problem here - pick people to RP as the gangs and the government, different people. As the RP goes on people will create NPC's that they don't want to be killed, and will fight to preserve them.

We can't pick people to RP them because someone is already RPing them. We need a new GM to take control of the NPC organizations because Tom obviously can't run them.

A new GM would be the best choice for delegating who gets what NPCs though it probably would be best for the GM to run all NPCs until the player characters actually are able to either take control or start their own organization. If the NPCs need to be passed down to other players then the GM can do that when it needs to be done.

Normally I would want Wes to do this but he simply doesn't have enough time to put the amount of time needed into the plot anymore.

1. Create character to stick with.
2. Attack existing stuff people care about (provoking counterattacks).
3. Maintain reasonable tech level (no nukes, ultra tech, or it'll be no fun)
4. ?????
5. PROFIT

Obviously it can never be the same as the Assassin's War, but a plot different, though along similar lines, could prove to be just as worthy.

I agree with Wes. It's not necessary for the same characters in currently running plots to be used (it's a lot more fun when it's not so clear cut as the police, the good guys, and the gangs, the bad guys, anyway), but they certainly can be if you want to use your character that's currently in a different plot. They could get out of their current situation (through more GMed RP if necessary) and then there would hopefully be no more need for GMs.

Of course, since these are gangs/police organizations and not elite assassins, there's going to have to be NPCs, but I'd hope they wouldn't play such a big role. Because there's NPCs for the grunt work, most of the player characters would likely have positions a bit higher than that (not necessarily all, though). There'd need to be a motive for the conflict (e.g. trying to monopolize the assassin market) as Wes pointed out, such as profit.

So, can we appoint a new GM for Nep. so that the start can be organized?

Otherwise, all the discussion in the world about this won't lead to anything.

Uso Tasuki said:
So, can we appoint a new GM for Nep. so that the start can be organized?

Otherwise, all the discussion in the world about this won't lead to anything.
We don't need a new GM. If we have GM needs for this scenario, I'll take care of them.

No we don't. Stop trying to weasel your way into the GM position. It could be started already if you would RP in Nepleslian instead of just talk about RPing in Nepleslia.

Make it happen people. Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back