• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Net Neutrality

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get into IRL political matters here much but in this case we really have to.

FCC Chairman Ajit Pai, a former Verizon lawyer, plans destroy net neutrality, which will give big cable companies immense control over what we see and do online. If this happens, companies like Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T will have extensive control over what we can see and do on the Internet and the power to slow down or block websites and charge apps and sites extra fees to reach an audience.

This would not only be hugely bad for big content sites like YouTube and Netflix, but it would basically remove small, personal, donation-funded sites like Star Army from the same playing field.

If we lose net neutrality, we could soon face an Internet where Star Army and other sites are forced into a slow lane online, while for-profit corporations who can afford expensive new “prioritization” fees have special fast lane access to Internet users. It's inherently unfair.

The nightmare scenario is one where websites are treated like TV channels and your ISP won't let you get to Star Army, etc. because it's not in your internet bundle tier. I'm not saying that will happen if net neutrality dies but it would certainly open the door to make that reality. Also ISPs would basically make any site they didn't like essentially disappear by screwing with its traffic.

Guys, I firmly believe the best part of the internet is the part that's run by people doing the stuff they love and not the part where businesses try to milk people for profit via adclicks or product sales. But the best part of the internet is the part that will be harmed the worst by loss of net neutrality.

Neutrality is not a partisan political issue, although some people would like you to think it is. Instead it's us, the people of the internet, versus Big Cable. Overwhelmingly the popular opinion and FCC comments have been pro-net-neutrality (by the way, Comcast got caught stealing people's names and using them to make fake FCC comments without permission).

We've fought this before back when Tom Wheeler (former Comcast guy) was in charge of the FCC and popular support won the day, but we'll need to do it again.

So on July 12, 2017, websites, Internet users, and online communities like SARP will come together again to sound the alarm about the FCC’s attack on net neutrality. You can learn how you can join the protest and spread the word at https://www.battleforthenet.com/july12/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…