• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

New Race: öndháttr (Rivisions have been made)

Skhaal

Inactive Member
Novus Grothia: Au Verde Heimr- öndháttr

The öndháttr or 'Spiritkin' when translated into basic english, are probably quite odd yet also quite 'run-of-the-mill' sentient race to posses the technology they do. They seem to have gone undetected by star army several light years away in a separate galaxy, controlling already two planets beside their main one but other than that are relatively peaceful. They seem quite heavily religious and faithful to a Pre-Christian religion known as Asatuar, A norse religion based around Polytheistic Beliefs that promote fighting with honor, courage and being hospitable and honest to each other.

The race appears as a bipedal reptilian sub-humanoid with discrepancies however. These breed of reptilian sentient carries a unique trademark, they have powerful 2 fingered hands plus thumbs, every finger ranges from 3.5 inches long and 2 inches wide at the base at youth and 4.5 inches long to 2.5 inches wide at the base for adults. The fingers are complexly constructed in a way that their joints can lock into place at will with a pin of cartilage that wedges itself between the joints, preventing them from opening up until they are withdrawn or broken. Their anatomy also quite different in muscle distribution. Most bipedal distribute muscle mass proportionately throughout their body unless a certain area of muscle mass it strengthened by training, However öndháttr have weak torsos yet strong forearms, thighs and legs which seems to make up for their frail center bodies with the force output their hand to hand strikes can do.

Playing the öndháttr

Welcome to the ranks of the öndháttr with your öndháttr racial selection! They are proud, fierce and noble warriors with the strength and intellect to back it up. They seem to excel in many forms of melee and hand to hand combat based on their own fighting styles, offensive with a twist speed defense proving quite effecting yet there are other teachings that feature using they strong arms and legs to provide 360 degrees of aggressiveness.

Aside from the combat practices they are quite a silent breed of fighters from the age of 6, male or female to fight. Every person whether it be common civilian to high ranking commander, is a warrior ready to fight and die for their lordships. Other combat practices, they are quite skilled in using their mind for learning vital information useful for the primary research job, for creating the Jötunn (Joo tun) Living Constructs or other such things. The öndháttr take such pleasures such as reading, writing, sparring, painting, creating small living constructs as early as the age of 18 with the aid of the production facility for a very small fee.

Despite their rather primitive culture based around military warfare, discipline and technological development, they seem quite peaceful as they peacefully gained possession of 2 worlds as their own without bloodshed, the race that had once owned these lands were known for the rare metal properties which would make great use weaponwise. The öndháttr had convinced the race, due to the fact they had suffered many civil wars due to the metal mines they secured, That upon realizing they had protected the metal mines of their planet too violently and the diplomatic leaders decided to travel to, a large once occupied world and settle there peacefully in condition that the öndháttr should be their allies and protectors. The agreement was made and gained valuable and strong metals in which to infuse into their living constructs natural metal growth plates DNA.

Emotionally the öndháttr experience every emotion some stronger than others, öndháttr lack tear glands so in order to fully express their feelings they would spar with another with fierceness to exact the tears they lack, or rather the lack to fully express grief, and then take a series of hits before withdrawing. Like a ritual, and based on the other's movements is like speaking without words and can offend the griefing, normally on purpose. However they do express their emotions without sparring.

öndháttr have exceptional vocal chords ranging from normal speaking volumes to bellowing calls capable of reaching the ears of others for miles due to much genetic tampering in the past. Technologically speaking, They have quite an array of weaponry up to plasma projectors and anti-matter projectile weapons.

The planetary surface is actually 100 feet below a extremely powerfully reinforced series of metal plates above the surface protecting against any hostile attacks and keeping inhabitants safe, the internal structure is heavily maintained by Jötunn, Organic power armor which is a actual living thing that organically produces a metal exoskeleton and it naturally shapes itself to be able to equip öndháttr weaponry, which no other sentient can equip because of the special ay they are created. These beings live to fight, repair, protect, whatever they see they must do.

öndháttr may be disciplined but romance and physical pleasures are quite a frequent part of any culture to breed or have sexual intercourse with the would-be mate however sometimes the relationship will fall apart due to one of the mates being inadequate mentally or physically and will decide to leave the mate. This is very much the same thing that happens to any sentient and obviously the male are often feeling great sadness because of this, some even purchase shuttles and leave the planet if they have been rejected too much.

öndháttr speak primarily old norse as a means of communication, Which is interesting seeing as normally beings close to Yamataian space normally speak english or japanese, they however decided to take their religion further. However if A öndháttr should be exposed to a japanese or english speaking sttlement they would try to learn the language in multipule means, but if they are unable to communicate it is possible they will go mad.

Anatomy wise, öndháttr are quite similar to their reptile ancestors, for they have a closed circulation due to a three chamber heart consisting of two atria and one, differing positioned ventrical. There is normally one st of two aortic arches In spite of this öndháttr appear to have advanced versions of their reptile ancestor's anatomy yet maintaining quite similar only larger and more efficient.

However instead of taking the cold-blooded trait of lizards they appear to have picked up a trait most commonly found in the Leatherback sea turtle, They can maintain a warm blooded body as their series of blood vessels are coated in a thick, oily coating that coats it to a degree to contain the heat within the vessels themselves and is even found around the heart, this coating however does not restrict movement or flow in anyway and would become weaker if a individual öndháttr were to stop eating their recommended supplement of fatty, meaty foods they would probably lose their warmblooded attribute and become coldblooded which might hinder them slightly dues to the cold climate of their planet.

Their bodies also are built strangely, at birth they can develop outer bone plates or not in most cases. Also öndháttr female give live birth to their off-spring, a trait shared by mammals and it is uncertain and probably unlikely that öndháttr can give birth or impregnate mammal-like sentient being.

Back to their language, the norse language they rely on was originally picked up by a colony of a nameless bipedal race of humanoids which also spread the faith of Asatruar to them via Eddas and other such texts. From these texts after learning the language they based their new civilization on it. However this took place thousands of years ago and since then have made their planet into a fortress, thick layers of plating covering the planet's surface and covering the surface with Anti-Starship turrets.

Names are chosen through Prefix and Suffix, The Prefix is crossjender and the first half or so of the name where as there are 2 lists of suffix, 1 for each gender. It is mostly chosen at random to keep individuality up however in somecases there may be 2 suffix, and the family name cannot be changed.

The vast majority of öndháttr share the following characteristics:

öndháttr's most noticable physical attribute are there powerful and strange arms which seem to serve many purposes. The fingers are quite string and thus steady which is good when tinkering with shuttles and such hawever are large so they would need more space in which to work. Their most practical use is the hand which are covering in a thick skin but unseen to any living things eyes, they are covered with many, many microscopic fibers which penetrate send electropulses to the nerves beneath the skin in a way that triggers them to send signals into the mind alerting it of pain, after such the one contacted begins to feel great pain and the area being touched begins to swell and even after letting go continues to swell until it splits appart like a pimple and bleed perfusely.

This is however triggered upon the öndháttrs' will as a aggressive action or defensive maneaver, they can however interact with hand to skin contact without causing any problems as if the fibers didn't even exist. öndháttr stand upright between the sizes 5'7â€

Is there any particular reason why a completely alien species speaks a language that came from Earth, a planet which may not even exist in this setting?

The race appears to be as normal as a bipedal however carries a unique trademark, they have powerful 2 fingered hands plus thumbs
At this time, we're not accepting new species submissions that are basically modified humans. See this post for details.

The öndháttr or 'Spiritkin' when translated into basic english, are probably the strangest sentient race to posses the technology they do.

Mishhu are weirder.
Melumsi are weirder.

Also: How has being reptilian effected their personality and outlook on life in order to make them more alien - significantly different from humans?

I believe I mensioned they are capable of eating meat or plant metter however If they do not eat a certain amount of meat they will lose their thick fatty and oily layering covering their heart and blood veins thus becoming cold blooded which could be hazardous in sertain parts of Au Verde Heimr

Also, I think It's how the Race thinks compared to most races, they seem to have an unusually high creative side of their mind followed secondly behind logic. Thus is why they feel the need to construct odd weapons such as the Jötunn as organic power armor maintenance drones and militant variants.

No offense to you personally, Skhaal, but I'm thinking that maybe we should be limited to one new species per player. How this new species of yours will interact with the Thaxarians will introduce a host of balance and fairness issues. Let's not open up that can of worms.

In addition, I feel that the Thaxarians could use a bit of attention. We haven't heard from them in a while.

Well, It is a bit hard When Sekiko kinda left Star Army. Also getting tom at a time he's not busy (Which is hard via time zones) and Also I do not intend on introducing them to the Thaxarians, Also Thaxarians if I recall are further away in a seperate galaxy, and when I get around to it may restrict thaxarians to their own homeworld to actually squeeze a plot out of them.

If you can tell I have done much researching on this race and I would hope it could be my last and with this race I may be able to design tech for them (Mostly defensive purposes).

Hmm. Okay. In that case, I have no objections to you owning two species if this means that you'll be around more.

(I'm well aware of the hypocrisy. XD)

Zakalwe said:
Is there any particular reason why a completely alien species speaks a language that came from Earth, a planet which may not even exist in this setting?

Please address Thomas's concern though.

And could we please call the species Ondhattr rather than öndháttr? It would make referring to the species a lot less painful.

Reactions: Wes

This should have been enough however I shall expand on it if requested to do so. Also...A filter for the name would be nice because...well I had to do a lot of copying and pasting

Word filter - good idea.

Oh, and Sekiko's coming back. It turns out she's had really bad flu for a while and has been hovering around death's door.

I'm usually ready for an RP whenever I'm on really.

I'd like to know more about that layer of metal around their planet.

Good, Good, We really should put together a JP schedule when she gets better.

As for the metal plates however, They will be covered in the Planet description im working on. After all the whole plating is a planetary trait as well as defense.

I apologize for the double post but I really would hate for this to get ignored. So I did a little work on the planet Au Verde Heimr. Still incomplete but hopefully it will draw more comments and more importantly draw more comments and suggestions to help me out.

General Data
System: Novus Grothia
Planet: Au Verde Heimr
Type: Mult-enviromental shielded beneath Extreamly thick and massive plates hundreds of miles above the surface.
Stellar Radius: 1.01 AU from star
Circumference: Roughly 30,000 Km
Surface Gravity: 0.86 G
Length of Day: 17 hours
Length of Year: Roughly 333 days

Background and History
Overall: Au Verde Heimr's name is rather accurate as a metaphor for such a beautiful landscape beneath the planetary dome despite all the wars it had seen in the past. Most of these wars caused by traveling merchants and colony ships that pit stopped there...before the dome. The first step into technology started back 700,000 years ago by a small colony ship that had then decided to make this there home. Upon noticing the savage tribal Reptile peope they attempted to use diplomacy numerous times but all failed rather peacefully. However as soon as the code was cracked they immediately welcomed them.

As time passed they learned the technology they had brought and learned to use it and were slowly being manipulated. This contined for a few years until the Ondhattr had developed staggering intellect and had picked up some words from them, some latin as they spoke. The idea of a incomplete language drove some to seek private tutoring and eventually they could now understand the conversations the colonists could say and many were very unpleased by how they were reguarded.

Needless to say, far after the mines were established they had a civil war, driving the settlers away in dwindling numbers. They also gained quite a bit of swag such as mining equipment, weapons,and even proper clothing...which was fought over for quite some time.

Another ship had arrived on the surface with quite a bit of tension however the people showed kindness hwever yet again spoke an unknown dialect which were taught. The humans spoke greek and passed on their knowledge, now having the knowledge of two languages was confusing but they depended on the greek later on as time passed. Sadly the small group of researchers or who knows what they were, fell ill to a violent plague which only effected mammals such as human, killing them all despite the Ondhattr's efforts. The plague wiped out quite a bit of the domesticated animals which caused a shortage in meat products.

Some time passed, about 70 or so years, before they began to get sieged by alien vessels, firing energy projection cannons and killing few. This enraged the Ondhattr had began developing round to Atmosphere energy cannon turrets. It took 15 years of a sort of oppressive way of life time they were created to repel the invaders.

It was then determined that they should place these all over the planet and protect it with their lives. They began shaping their way of life around Bravery, Courage, in which paved the way for the Norse speaking inhabatants of a Exploration Vessel. If the vessel had made a wrong movement away from their designated landing parimiter it might have been shot down. The vessel stopped there to stock on food and in exchange they seemed gave what the Ondhattr wanted most...knowledge or weapons. When The Poetic Eddas, Icelandic Sagas, Norse Language and Asatruar customs and religion was introduced it spread through the entire race like a plague.

To say the least, the Ondhattr packed the ship full of food and supplies to show their thanks however sadly unseen by them the ship was shortly attacked by a nearby planet and the pilot killed while his hip was salvaged.

Half way between the past and present the Chieftain resigned as leadership roles and gave them to the kings. There was a series of events, such as chess only with soldiers before they became Jotunn, and used them in strategic strikes against one another, only having 6 and they needed to capture a shield, a sword, and a chest of armor, from one another. This had dangers but they didn't send their troops to the slaughter or else they would lose all favor and thus win or lose, they wouldn't become king.
Present day Au verde Heimr, this custom is still carried out under then name Ã

Wait wait, are you saying the planet's covered in a tropospheric shell? Where did they get the respourses for something that massive a construction project?

And still, I have to chime in, why do these people know a Terran language? .

Right now it is a tad, awkward but I'm thinking of a mass influence being triggered in a way. the lanuage being spread through out some galaxies as a form of wide conversion to a faith of sorts. Being a Sci-fi setting I figured that the language could be added so.

The resources were gathered by two other owned planets, But more on point they got the resources by replicating the makeup of one metal and putting various pressure, heat, etc to simulate the creation of the metal through artificial means at a accelerated rate. It's based f the process that is used to create diamond, synthetic, ever slightly weaker yet diamond non-the-less.

Why do the Nekos speak a Terran language?

If that's the only issue besides the metal shell around the planet, what's keeping the race from being approved?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…