Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Newton Ewell Commissions Thread

In my quest to find more artwork for StarArmy, we've found a few great character artists but so far we've had basically nothing for mechanical stuff, like power armors and starships--that should change. On 4chan's /m/ forum I ran into the artist and local anime convention guest Newton Ewell. Newton has illustrated Roleplay books (including Palladium's Macross RPG) and is a real professional. Unfortunately, he also charges some heavy duty prices ($150 per piece). Anyway, Newton offered to do illustrations for Star Army and today I'm going to commission him to start out with the Mindy M2-2.

1176094656543.png

If you could make a high quality poster of that, I'd so buy it. Endless advertising opportunities, too.

I think my heart just skipped a beat. That is just...no, words cannot describe how awesome that is. I bow before this man - he must do more!

I'm pondering a common Nepleslian armor next, perhaps the WATER...

Or perhaps something like the EARTH? A larger, bulkier (alright...I admit the EARTH is huge) armour type would be a great contrast to the delicate looking Mindy.

Y'know, I just realized ...

This is the Mindy 1F. Nekos pilot it.

Nekos have four fingers.

This baby has five.

... ?

No, it's the M2, which is meant for Yamataian AND Neko use....a Neko likely only uses 4 of those fingers, the pinky just....mirroring the others or perhaps extrapolating from them.

No, Wes is just being his usual inconsistent self.

This was supposed to be a 1F. Wes decided it was a 2A after it was done. The fingers are probably the artist not handling that particular detail, but Wes photoshops stuff to his liking anyways, regardless of any other considerations... so... *shrugs*

Oh, I give up. Whenever I make a submission in the future, I'm going to make sure it's all my own stuff and rendering them myself instead of trusting anyone with anything.

EDIT: Wait a second ... M2. The M2.

This IS still the 1F then, right? As in, M2-1F, right? Not M2-2A? Which Fred will eventually do?

The M2-2A's page on the wiki puts up this artwork, even though the forearms are obviously wrong and that the M2-2A has little advantage holding the saber-rifle. The things in the back sort of match the Dragonfly config, though.

The Mindy was Wes' little baby in the first place. I'm cranky over getting my submission their own artwork eventually... but Wes doesn't seem to care a whole lot about it.

Well, it's Wes' Mindy and it's Wes money so he can do what he bloody wants with it. If I have a tendency of being cranky over giving art to my own submissions, I'll make art before ever submitting something in the future and avoid the whole distasteful scenario.

Wes, you do mean the AIR/AIR2, right? The choice for speedsters everywhere!

Also, anyone else notice the color similarity between the aether rifle and the rather famous Wing Gundam buster rifle? Not insulting it or anything, just saying. That thing's pretty damned sexy, even if the backpack reminds me a little too much of the Valk's FAST pack.

Doshii Jun said:
This is the Mindy 1F. Nekos pilot it.

Nekos have four fingers.

This baby has five.

... ?
The Mindy is more like some new Mindy M2-1 variant (no Mindy has cannons on the back like that or anti-missile turrets on the shoulders). I only put it on the Mindy 2 page because we don't have any other artwork for the Mindy 2.

As far as the hands go, I noticed that too and have been debating correcting it.

Then we better get cracking on making a submission for this artwork!

With permission, I can do it. Or you do it. SOMEONE needs to do it!

Also, added a disclaimer at the bottom of the image on the Mindy 2 wiki page to reflect that the image isn't actually the Mindy 2.

... That is an amazingly cool picture.

I am honestly taken aback by just how amazing it is, and am now envious of the Yamatians.

My Mantus and the Hikael shall never have such treatment :)

Speaking of more amazing mecha art, which armor should I get Newton to draw next? He's waiting for us to decide. I was thinking whatever the Nepleslians' main armor is should be next. Not sure which one is the most common, though...

To decide you should probably work out which armours are used the most in the site - and put them in order. You can them omit armours which look similar to each other.

I realise I'm shooting myself in the foot.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back