• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Rejected Submission [NPC Enemy] Ligveru

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is an interesting concept, that everything is within the bone, my one question is the space between bones.

The connections in human bone are surrounded by synovial fluid which lubricated the joints, has fibrous cartilage in between the joints so the bones don't rub against each other and moved by muscle.

How do they move their bones? Just a thought

They have gravity manipulation so they can have their bones be separate and it is also how they move their bones.

... Scary people that resemble stuff of nightmares raised by necromancers. Undead dragons!
My question is though, using their picture as reference, how do they fit inside their ships?
Are they all just made extra big on the inside and outside to accommodate?
Do they vary?
Are there runts?

Added:
"They are about the size of small shuttle craft at puberty and at full adulthood several years later, are around 60x35x20 meters."

So at adulthood on DR they are between a mecha and starship. This means their ships are quite large, too. The ship article I am submitting soon will be odd, to say the least.

They have gravity manipulation so they can have their bones be separate and it is also how they move their bones.

Do any other SARP races have gravity manipulation as a natural ability? Neko are artificially built to do it. It seems very strange that they would just evolve what is essentially magic. And this ability is traditionally something that takes effort, concentration or at least conscious choice to use. Do they just collapse into piles of bones when they sleep? Or do they not sleep? Even then, what if they get knocked out...or is that just impossible?

You're probably trying to justify the very nice art, which is fine, but maybe there could be a simpler way to get this result? Maybe they have joints that are somehow invisible, like they don't show up to standard light but would show up on some specific type of scan? Or maybe there are even mono-filiment style links between the bones that are too thin to be detected by the naked eye? Related...do they not have eyes? They have eye sockets, so they clearly used to, at some point....

Along with the visible flesh on their wings, that makes me lean even more towards the idea that they actually do have some exterior bits that are somehow normally undetectable. Maybe the pattern on the wings shows that they have something like a camouflage ability? And they're just designed to make their weak points appear invisible/missing while the wings are for showing off?

Also, you mention the Leoteona a few times but never link to them. But I guess that page isn't finished.

Sorry to post again, but just realized...are there males and females? Gender is never mentioned. I see talk about eggs, but nothing about how those eggs are made. Not much you can tell from the art, either.

I reiterated this in the other thread, but the art for the Leoteona is just a sketch right now and I'd rather make their page when it is fully realized art.

Adding that they've been on the planet for centuries in the top of the history section.

Gender and reproduction have been mentioned.

Made it so that their joints and wings are now simply invisible. So they use wings to fly and their bones are held together by something of substance. Those additions can be found in the bottom half of physiology.

I also changed the art to take out the wings altogether so that they're completely invisible.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, especially since you put money and time into this and have been so helpful lately, but don't really think having skeleton dragons running around really enhances the "sci-fi" of the Star Army setting. They seem like something for a Halloween event...I just am having a hard time "feeling" this submission. If you can make a poll that shows that a lot of SARPers like this idea, I'd reconsider, but right now I don't think the concept makes a lot of sense, mainly because they're big skeletons. Sorry Ame, please don't be mad at me.

Maybe the art and basic idea can be recycled into something else?

A scientifically created skeleton dragon thing seems completely plausible.

Maybe the art and basic idea can be recycled into something else?

A scientifically created skeleton dragon thing seems completely plausible.
I mean, that's why we allow "elves" to persist instead of allowing them to fade away.

Maybe they could be some sort of constructed faux-deity that was created to play off the fears of the species they enslave on behalf of a greater overlord (Kuvexians? Idk). Kind of like some sort of "opposite of the prime directive" situation.

There's already an interest check on the species that these skele-bros enslave, and people seem to be into them.

I could see this being the last physical component to a species that is mid way through evolution into a creature made from pure energy, only the bones remaining as it's last physical presence in this dimension. No less scifi-feeling than the rock monster from Galaxy Quest, which was literally just a jumble of rocks.

I think the push to get this abandoned was a poor one (something I voiced elsewhere, which I'm hoping to rectify by posting here), particularly on the grounds that this was both for a plot and had been a subject of many chat occasions with plenty of hype behind them. The species that was tied to them was also equally a nice subject, so it seems like we've eliminated the tool mostly on the grounds of "well, it doesn't fit".

But we haven't removed elements that still contradict the scifi norm and are fantasy rips (see the many fantasy races that still exist without work to "scifi" them), and as it was said, these beings are far from impossible based on the things we've seen in many staples of scifi. Rock monsters, force ghosts, and dragons (Pern was a scifi, if people know the series, that had dragons that were the result of genetic modification and were practically "advanced beings") are p good staples of all the scifi series of yonder years. Don't even get me started on tar people.

Here's hoping this gets picked back up when Ame comes back.

What "push" are you referring to? The reason this was rejected was not because I was asked to, it was because ultimately I have to decide what fits and doesn't into the Star Army universe and I didn't feel like dragon skeletons fit well in the overall vision of the the universe, particularly in a visual sense. I would like the aliens to look like aliens, for the most part, rather than something from D&D. Star Army's a space opera, and while there's room for tons of alien ideas, I'm wary of it being a RIFTS-style multiverse were we accept everything and then find ourselves in a senseless jumble where there's no discernible theme and feel. Ametheliana got some cool adoptable art and wanted to use it, but the article bent over backwards to explain the design whereas ideally the artwork should complement the article. In essence the tail was wagging the dog and it didn't feel right thematically or suspend disbelief for me.

It sure feels like a push when we exclude something like this but pass other things that are far more questionable. The fact the article bent over backwards is a sign of the work and the replies here are proof that it wasn't just some idle glimpse from the rest. That aside, you are the setting manager so I'll concede. My post was more to further express the sentiment I have heard and has been shared here, that this has potential as a tool for the setting and, as far as I could gather, was far from a stretch. Especially when we essentially have other-dimensional magic supplying power to one faction and other fantasy races abound. At least to me, I feel the art being the building point wasn't the issue, especially as many other species have been built around adopted art before ever being concepts on SARP.

Again: Sorry if it comes off a bit rough around the edges, but it just seemed really out of place. I don't mean to stir up trouble, simply this is my way of echoing the same as others that I'd love if we could work to make this element work. Especially so it can serve to potentially future members and GMs if we take the time to nurture it, unlike the many other fantasy-esque/direct species that have become a trademark of the past rather than worked on.

Last edited:
RPG-D RPGfix
Back