• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

[OCG/ LSDF] M37/38 All Environment Battledress Uniform.

After reading through the post, I've found that the suit fits the criteria I have for a uniform and atmospheric suit for the LSDF, and other Lorath space fairing organizations. Some refinements are still needed, as I have heard from Jeff/Vesper, but at the moment, it is already a marvelous bit of work.

I'd suggest manufacture and government be labeled as "Lorath Occhestain Manufacture" and "Lorath Matriarchy" as government.

Added a system to attach to surfaces, the other issue (accessories) will come in a later thread.

As there are no outstanding issues to be addressed, I request someone approve this item and move it. Thank you.

Vesper

There's a bunch of spelling and grammar items I'd like to see revised.

Answer me this, though. This thing has a LOT of layers in it. How thick is the actual suit?

I went through and corrected those grammar problems I could find (Office 2007 has a much better spell-checker than Open Office), but I would be first to say grammar and spelling are not my strong areas.

To the thickness, I would say the suit has a average thickness (in non-armored areas) of ~4mm, with the armor panels being ~11mm. Keep in mind that that number of layers is for purposes of detail. Any modern body armor (barring just slapping a hunt of ship plating to yourself) would consist of many layers.

For comparison -- a motorcycle racer's leather jacket is usually 1.5 - 2 mm in thickness, with the armored parts as thick as 6 mm. Most kevlar body armor is within 1 cm in thickness.

I don't know how thick the ACUs are, but 4 mm, considering the size of a Lorath, is probably just right.

So, we have this extremely thin power armor (and yes, this is a power armor) that:

-increases strength
-can walk up walls
-blocks sharp objects
-blocks projectile weapons
-blocks energy weapons (?!)
-blocks EMP
-blocks radiation
-supposedly protects the wearer from jolts despite being extremely thin
-has nanomachine repair capability, which basically no armor has at the moment

I think it's overpowered, especially for Lorath to have made several years before first contact with Yamatai.

NOT APPROVED.

Wes said:
So, we have this extremely thin power armor (and yes, this is a power armor) that:

-increases strength
-can walk up walls
-blocks sharp objects
-blocks projectile weapons
-blocks energy weapons (?!)
-blocks EMP
-blocks radiation
-supposedly protects the wearer from jolts despite being extremely thin
-has nanomachine repair capability, which basically no armor has at the moment

I think it's overpowered, especially for Lorath to have made several years before first contact with Yamatai.

NOT APPROVED.

-Strength increase can be delivered through thin fiber servos.
-Stonethread
-Stonethread
-Stonethread
-I'll let a physics major handle this one.
-Isotopes which were mentioned.
-Gel-like those Dr.Scholes inserts?
-Lorath have the nanomechcanical knowledge to make an armor which would repair over time. If the existence of advanced Lorath nanotech is in question, then it would seem to disagree with previously approved posts.

None-the-less, some revisions could be made. :?

For the strength enhancement, as it states in the writeup this is not very significant. The strength enhancement is more of a minor side effect of the layers purpose as emergency splint and backup to the bullet-resistant layers.

As a generally comment to the other points, those aspects of the suit are effectively unchanged since the previous attempt at getting it approved and at that time you yourself said they where perfectly acceptable (the issue was the electroreactive myomers. If you would like the link to where the US army is actually using this material in the Future Force Warrior armor, I can provide it. Again). As has been stated many a time, the Lorath are very close to Yamatai in many fields of technology and all areas that would relate to making a suit such as this could quite feasibly be worked on while underground.

The repair capability has more to do with the interior layers, since it could only fix the TiS2 layers very slowly (and then only moving the threads back into position) since it cannot affect them very easily at all (and where they not micromachines, not at all period, the bonds are too strong). The primary purpose of the system is maintaining the user (you will note that is what most of the length of that segment is about).

It is fairly easy to block projectile weapons, EMP, & sharp objects (the IRL material Spectra [Duneema] is quite capable of blocking knives) with the current tech. And as I said it cannot stop very high energy long arm rounds (such as the mentioned M12, which I am still working on, it will be posted soon).

High-energy radiation is blocked primarily by the high-density gel and the armor panels, while slower radiation (alpha & beta particles, slow neutrons, etc.) are stopped by the other layers. Because the suit is designed specifically to prevent after-effect radiation (where the material itself becomes radioactive) it can prevent one of the more dangerous aspects about many radiations (i.e. that they are persistent, continuing to damage the user even though the primary source is gone). This is achieved using very stable materials.

By protecting from jolts I meant minor ones and mitigating larger ones, I do not mean it could protect totally from falling 6 feet and landing on your back.

The problem with your submission is none of these limitations are listed. Instead of saying "provides some resistance against light energy weapons" it just says "blocks energy weapons" and such. That's why it comes off as overpowered. Update the submission with your last post, change the production date to the present, and this could be approved.

A break down of the armors protection capabilities added. Note about strength limitations added.

Again, I see no reason why any of the technologies involved would require spacetravel and thus could have existed for some time. The primary reason it took so long to develop the current suit was a lack of experience in what was necessary for space, not the lack of technical expertise.

I believe that answers all outstanding issues. Are there any further ones?

I'm interested in how the organic LCD works. If it was previously explained, a link would be very much appreciated.

Might those voting 'No' actually say why they are voting as such. Because, considering this has been here for over a week and the only serious criticism is from Wes I fail to see what you guys have against it. If I do not know what is wrong with it, it cannot be fixed.

Might those voting 'No' actually say why they are voting as such. Because, considering this has been here for over a week and the only serious criticism is from Wes I fail to see what you guys have against it. If I do not know what is wrong with it, it cannot be fixed.

One of the problems with polls. :?

I voted yes, although I'm not too savvy on what technology level Lor is at, I can give it the benefit of a doubt if others more versed in Lor stuff can.

Also, where's the SRP values? I'm under the impression submissions like powered armor require them.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back