• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Miharu Of Cake and Ice Cream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbit Eclair

Inactive Member
(( This may make a bit more sense if you re-read my first post in Mission 1, Day 1. It's in the parts Fred re-postsed. ))

ON: YSS Miharu wardroom, during the Mission 2 time skip.

Yukari shivered in her sleep. She was taking a small nap on a wardroom couch, before her shift was to come on the bridge. She turned over onto her stomach, sighing and snuggling back into the arm of the couch.

For her part, Miyoko was hovering over Yukari, indecisive as usual, trying to figure out whether or not to try rousing her. She reached out a hand hesitantly a few times only to pull it back uncertainly.

Yukari's breathing was even, though one of her hands was on her pistol. Waking her suddenly was never a viable option.

Miyoko, not one to be deterred when it came to the weighty matters at hand, ducked behind the couch, only her head peeking over as she politely cleared her throat and said, "Er... Suzuka-shosa... if you're free..."

The sounds of a body stirring were heard from Miyoko's position behind the couch, and slowly, it appeared the Shosa came awake. She looked about, seeing Miyoko finally. Her eyes looked sleeping at first as she rubbed them. "Saito-Hei ... good afternoon. May I help you?"

"Oh, well, I..." Miyoko stammered, suddenly feeling rather stupid for waking Yukari up. "Well. There's a subject I've been meaning to discuss with you, and since it seems that we're both free..."

"Sou ka," the Shosa replied, smiling warmly, but sleepily. "I am always available to you, Saito-Hei. Please."

"Well... What do you usually do on your birthday, if anything?" Once she was certain that Yukari wasn't going to blow her head off, Miyoko stood to her full height and took a chair, looking rather embarassed about hiding behind the couch.

Yukari blinked sleep out of her eyes, and straightened so she was sitting erect and proper on the couch. "Ah? Birthday?" Yukari seemed to think for a moment, her eyes cast aside and her hand on her cheek. "I have not celebrated a birthday before, in the Yamataian tradition."

Miyoko nodded, relaxing slightly--if somebody with as many birthdays as Yukari had never gotten around to celebrating one, it seemed that chances were small that people would ambush her with a surprise party or something. "Ah, I see. And, er, if it's not too personal of a question, what do you plan to do after your service is over?"

Yukari's cheeks acquired a rosy color as she smiled to herself. "Many things, Saito-Hei. Many things."

Miyoko nodded thoughtfully, though she didn't find the Shosa's answer to be very fulfilling. She didn't respond just yet, taking a moment to try figuring out if there was yet a way that she could not look like an idiot for starting the conversation.

Yukari shook her head, straightening. She had been leaning down, speaking in softer tones, and she tried to regain herself. "I have not been asked that before, Saito-Hei. Forgive my vagueness ... it is hard, to consider the future. The present is too pressing."

"Oh, right..." Miyoko nodded, looking even more embarassed. "It probably is a bit of an odd question to ask abruptly. Sorry."

"It is fine," Yukari replied. "Hmmm ... I believe I want to start a business. I do not know what. Perhaps cargo transport, or courier work. Perhaps open a defense store." A defense store was a weapons shop. "I am not talented at anything, but I can do those things. I could play the koto, but I am not talented enough."

Miyoko nodded again--though seeing that Yukari had such concrete plans in mind was still a bit of a blow to her, since the entirety of her plans was pretty much 'keep living.' She slumped, a bit dejected. "I see."

Yukari leaned forward again, naturally. "Is something the matter, Saito-Hei?"

"Oh, well, no..." Miyoko straightened up forcefully--the entire situation was making her feel foolish, but that wasn't anything new for her in social situations. "It's just that my third..." She trailed off, suddenly thinking that 'birthday' was a bit of a childish word to use. "... anniversary of my creation is coming up. It's been bothering me... pointlessly so, I'm aware. I apologize--I should have thought before I started inflicting my baseless melancholy on you." She rose, as if getting ready to leave.

Yukari blinked. "Ah — Shimatta!" She stood as well, taking Miyoko's hands. "That is right! You and I share the same creation day. I had forgotten my own day as well! Congratulations!"

"... what?" This sudden outburst took Miyoko by surprise, and Yukari's exclamation was a bit of an odd turn for the conversation, as far as she was concerned.

"You were born on the same 'day' I was — I remember reviewing your file and noting that. I forgot in the commotion to begin our journey to the nebula ... I am sorry, Saito-Hei. I meant to wish you congratulations." Yukari smiled and squeezed the woman's hands. "You are three, yes? That means you require a cake, with candles. One for each year is the custom, I believe."

"Oh, no, that really won't be necessary. I, er, was just wondering if it was traditional to celebrate, but it seems not..." The situation was playing out how Miyoko had feared it might. At this rate, it could hardly end without her being subjected to a party.

"Necessity is not the motivation, Saito-Hei." Yukari suddenly turned very serious. "Celebration, which includes cake, is." The woman's smile was a little toothy. Cake apparently excited her. "Besides, you are Nekovalkyrja. To survive three years is grounds for celebration."

It seemed that Miyoko's only option now was to shift the attention away from herself. "Oh, er... seven years is much more noteworthy. And you've gone much longer without a party. It might be best if you have one. It would be enjoyable enough for me to just be present."

Yukari shook her head, not questioning how Miyoko knew her age. "It will be for both of us. A decade of life, when combined! That is a miracle for most Nekovalkyrja, Saito-Hei, and it must be celebrated." She appeared deathly serious. "With cake. And ice cream. What flavors do you like? Tom knows how to make very good cake." Her eyes practically drooled with desire.

Miyoko saw now that there was little chance of averting Yukari. "... I really haven't eaten much cake or ice cream." How the discussion had turned from her age to confectionaries, the Yamataian wasn't certain.

"You have not?!" Yukari appeared stunned. She could not fathom it. "Ice cream and cake are wonderful, wonderful things, Saito-Hei. They are part of what separates us from the enemy." The older Neko's face twisted into a delighted smirk. "There are so many flavors. One I enjoy very much is mint-chocolate ice cream — it is delicious, Saito-Hei. We shall share some at the party. Do you like chocolate? It is common in cakes, I believe."

Miyoko wasn't entirely certain if Yukari was joking or not--it was hard to tell when she was this excited. "Er, chocolate is fine. Though. Actually, it really might be too troublesome to make the entire crew celebrate over ourselves... perhaps we should just have a private meeting to mark the occasion."

"And deny them cake and ice cream? That is selfish Saito-Hei ... clever, but selfish." Yukari was holding Miyoko's hands up closer between them. Her smile was only getting more enthused. "It would be a good morale boost, to have an informal celebration before we end the mission. A night we forget the war, and focus on life. And cake. And ice cream." Yukari winked.

Miyoko made a mental note to herself to never stand between Yukari and cake or ice cream. "Ah, of course..." she said, though nothing Yukari had said seemed obvious. "And it wouldn't seem... childish or self-centered to do so?"

Yukari shook her head. "Absolutely not. Tom would be happy to provide, and the crew would appreciate a break. It is a good opportunity to do so. We do not require presents; their helping us celebrate our good fortune and Chiharu's blessings is enough."

No presents, either. Miyoko was against making everybody pay attention to her and eat cake--if there were presents involved, though, it could have been bearable. Oh well. We're probably not going to hit a port before then anyway, so it's just as well. I would have gotten standard-issue equipment and things people really didn't want to give away. Still, Yukari seemed implacable on the subject. "Well... if you don't think it will be too much trouble, I suppose we could," she conceded.

"Without question." Yukari winked one of her blazing green eyes. "It will be delightful! You have been the backbone of this vessel's operations, Saito-Hei; it is a chance to recognize that as well."

Being complemented did help motivate Miyoko a little bit. "I suppose... but it should be just as much about you. It's your birthday as well... and you've done plenty for the ship, too."

"Iiya," Yukari said, her expression softening. "The crew appreciates you most. And you deserve to be treated well."

"And you're higher-ranked and older." Miyoko spoke with rather more certainty now--no way was she going to let Yukari make this only about her. "It's about both of us or neither of us."

"It will be about both of us, Hei-san. But more about you. It is more fun that way." Yukari's eyes seemed to gleam with plots. Gears were turning behind them. Conspiracy was afoot.

"... ah." Miyoko could see her doom approaching. There was no more struggling; she conceded defeat. "... however you feel it would be best."

Yukari squeezed Miyoko's hands and shook them some. "Wonderful! I will ensure it is good. Are there things you want to do as well, however? We can plan activities as well. I would be entertained by a debate between you and Ashitaka-Heisho, but that is for you to decide."

In any fair universe, Yukari's suggestion would have put Miyoko in a catatonic seizure. As it was, she just struggled not to grit her teeth. "I... would prefer to keep things simple, I think."

Yukari's laugh was all honey, sweet and gleeful. "You do not believe I would treat you so, Saito-Hei? I would not be so mean. Things will be simple, I assure you. No lavishness, this time." She smiled and pulled Miyoko into a warm hug. "I am glad you spoke to me, Miyoko-san. It is good for both of us."

Miyoko, now so far in over her head that she'd need a rocket to get out, could do little except weakly return Yukari's hug. "Simple, yes. That's for the best, I think."

Yukari released Miyoko from her clutches, smiling warmly. "Is this OK, Miyoko-san? It is not too much?" She was ready to cancel it all, if it was desired, but her energy and excitement were painted in thick bands across her face.

"Oh, er... it will be fine, yes." Miyoko smiled slightly--she had to admit that Yukari's energy was infectious. "Just try to not overdo things, hm?"

"I will not." Yukari nodded. "I will not overdo things ... except the cake. And ice cream. It will be wonderful. Rich, full chocolate cake with light vanilla frosting, and perhaps a berry filling. Do you like berries?"

Actually, at this point, Miyoko got the feeling that she could threaten to kill crew members and Yukari would consent on the grounds that it would leave more cake for her. Best just to humor her... she decided. "Berries would be nice, yes."

Miyoko assumed Yukari had not killed for cake before. "A cake with half berry filling, half without, to ensure all will eat it. I must not be the only one who enjoys it, after all!" She laughed a little before shaking her head. "I am sorry. I have a very bad time with sweets. Almost as bad as with fish." She bowed slightly. "It is settled then."

Miyoko nodded. "Right. And, er, if there's any of the planning that I can assist with, please let me know. If you wish for me to be the center of attention, the least I can do is do my share of the work."

"Of course," Yukari said with a sly wink. "I will require your help. But I must do some work on it first. This is acceptable?"

Miyoko nodded her consent.

Yukari smiled. "I will start today then." She paused. "I am glad to have spoken with you, Hei-san."

Miyoko blinked, rather uncertain of what to make of Yukari's statement. "Er. You're... welcome."

Yukari offered a small bow, then departed, a bit of a spring in her step.

END

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back