• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: OIF Atuan [OIF Atuan] Episode 5: Taps

Re: Episode 5: Taps

Shields flared as cohesive beams of energy slammed into the Yui. Its Yamataium hull boiled and ablated away as the beams forced their way through the still active shields, destroying the armor plating like a blowtorch. Atmosphere vented from the ship as the zesuaium superstructure was revealed, but despite all this, it kept its course and began to aim the nose straight at the Atuan.

The remaining forces that had been disgorged by the Yui, consisting of the entire Demon family as well as a few Zilliants, turned their collective attention to the new presence, ignoring the battered Origin Armor Team. Against this new threat, they didn't break or run, nor did they try and hold the line; they charged. Beams of Aether and autocannon rounds went up to meet the Seigan Frames and Armors. Coilgun rounds from Zilliants streaked out alongside the occasional panzerfaust fired by Dark Demons.

It didn't matter that they knew it was a lost fight; they just needed a few more moments.

Kelly's eyes widened at the sight. A jewel of gold, studded by shining emerald had appeared in a blink of an eye. Bright lances of light lashed out of the vessel while machines and suits that he had never seen streamed out of the holds. They were going to make this. Everything was going to be fine! But then something dawned on him as he held the chipped mug half full of Lorath Wine; they just went straight to drinking, and didn't even do a toast. Truth be told, he felt like crap and was too tired even with the elevating effects of the drink to do so. They always did this in the shows, but, that was there and this was here.

"You guys wouldn't want to do a toast would you?" He asked, curious.

"You kidding me?"

"Naw man, just watch the ass kicking!"

"I'm not risking spilling this stuff!"

"I see you truly haven't changed at all." Added Yuno. Nope. No toasts then. Reality was always very different from the shows.

"I'm sorry, but entrance into the Atuan is inadvisable at this time." Ged replied to Taela. "The bulkhead nearest to Yoshiko is jammed open with neutralized armors and she is no longer in her suit. If the hangar opens, she dies." the Ship's AI replied somberly. Not a moment passed, however, before he suggested something else.

"Instead, I recommend exiting the Frame and taking one of the exterior hatches." Small points on the Atuan's scarred hull began to blink in their views. "I've highlighted the nearest alternate entrance on your HUDs if any of you are interested in assisting Yoshiko. As for weapons, there are only a few gauss rifles scattered about in lockers, but enemy autocannons are a little more prevalent now due to her efforts, and I will highlight their locations upon entry." A hint of worry crept into his voice.

"Shes in a bit of a pickle."

Shinji gritted his teeth as he gunned the Kirin back to safety, wracking his brain for what to do next. Even though these 'Seigan' guys were all in and helping, the Frame team was still in a mess. That didn't mean he wasn't grateful though; he was just worried as all hell as to what to do next. This mess, it all pushed the simple fact into the demoman's face; this wasn't his thing. "Yea, hold back on gettin contact with Kelly, he can wait til this is done."

"Some of us should help Yoshi. The rest of us should just stay outside Atuan and keep it safe." he went on, fishing around for the best orders he could come up with.

"Please." She pleaded, voice straining as Yoshiko tried to crawl away from the Crooked Demon.

"Like hell I'ma let you go off easy for all that." the power armor's harsh voice barked at the girl. Bladed vibroclaws stabbed at her, just missing the top of Yoshiko's head and blocking her off from escape. An armored subarm grabbed her by the ankle and lifted the young ex-neko clean up into the air. "See, I know that you were the only power armor on this ship right now. Even if some other comes my way, I'll have you to keep me safe."

A hand grabbed at her uniform, at which she struggled against in vain, whimpering and unable to speak. "Lets have a little fun on our way to the bridge."

The Keren pressed forward, her cargo of mecha swarming out from launch bays to assault the Yui directly. Frames with jagged and exotic shapes encircled the pirate craft. They seemed to cut across space itself as they maneuvered to strike, causing reality to buckle and ripple before appearing directly on top of the enemy vessel's hull. Claws and exotic bladed implements dug down into the hull, slashing and tearing deep into the structure of the vessel while stranger single-legged frames picked off attacking weapons pods to keep their kin covered.

A few took some hits, but those that were disabled merely ejected, to be recovered moments later by advancing reinforcements. Perhaps it was simply recklessness, but the mercenaries did not for a moment loosen their assault on the pirate ship.

As they broke through, large and more lumbering frames appeared onto the field, massive forearms crackling with particle fields that ignited as they slammed down onto the hull. As their allies pulled away, the sweeping cannons of the massive units filled the crevices cut in by the first wave with scintillating blue plasma, destroying whatever internals they came into contact with and opening the gouges further.

"Pirate vessel, recommend surrendering immediately." The accented voice of the officer broadcasted in plain and curt trade. "We hereby claim your vessel for salvage."

----

Lucien received a short reply from another source, this time a woman with a melodious voice and slightly more subtly foreign accent. "Our pleasure, really. But do you really have enough alcohol for hundreds of mecha operators?" She said with a light cackle.

The apparent signal origin, a large frame with a swept and elegant body with sticklike limbs. A large flat wedge of cyan diamond projected from its right arm, which still crackled with particles, presumably whatever weapon had been used to deal with the source of his day's troubles so quickly...

"Verdamnt!" Said Victoria quickyl heading to the airlock highlited by ship's AI. "Gutt, you AI show me way. And schnella, Yoshiko might need us." She told to Ged. She opened her cockiput, unstrapped herself and reached under the seat for energy pack. She locked it on her Impulse unit and kicked herself of towards the airlock. Before she let she set her Mecha's AI to defend itself.

She flew inside the airlock and quickly started the cycle to balance pressure inside Airlock with the one aboard the ship. She had her charged knuckles ready to use. Enemy might wasith in front of airlock after all. "Schnella! Schnella!" shouted VIci at the airlock, she wanted to be inside alrady and fight. Atuanc crew inside needs her.

Taela's face went from mildly distressed to one of a fury unlike she had felt before.

"Very well, then, Shinji. I will head inside, considering my Frame is rather damaged," She spoke over the comms, managing to keep her voice in check. "Whoever wants the rifle of this one can have it, although it looks like the newcomers have everything covered."

Turning to Lucien, she commanded, "Smash the feathers into the Yui or something and fast, unless you want to take control of the Frame. I'm going to help Yoshiko."

Taela flew to the side of the ship closest to their position, trying to get to an entrance close to Yoshiko and making sure hers and Lucien's Impulses were secure for space exit. Then, she opened the cockpit and exited, pushing off for the Atuan.

Yoshiko was her best friend, and the Neko would be damned before she simply just let something happen.

Not willing or able to pilot the frame, Mark found himself following Taela towards the Atuan, clutching tight at his side. Space was huge, and that made Mark a little queasy. His 'journalistic professionalism' was put to the back of his mind out in open space, with only an Origin Impulse suit separating him from The Void. As they neared the hull of the ship, he could feel his stress mounting. Inside, he was scrambling to make sense of up and down, furiously counting the seconds in his head until he could grab on to something. He reached out for Taela's foot as she sailed through the space in front of him, but no matter how he flailed, he couldn't gain on her enough to reach out and touch.

"Kitten," His voice sounded loud even to himself in the silence of The Void, the thick baritone resonating his piercings plastered tight against the face and sides of the helmet. He hoped the comm unit in his suit was activated, "I'm not sure how to ask for this, baby, but could you tell me a bedtime story or somethin'?"

That sounded ridiculous! He had to explain more clearly what he needed without sounding like a babbling fool, "I just want to hear your voice, baby. It's that ship of ours... it's far away. I can't just wait for it to get here, Kitty, I need something in my ears to fill the void."

He wasn't sure if he would be conscious or not by the time he made it through the hatch, but if he was, he would most certainly be ready to kill something.

"Nae, methinks that 'ooever I owe a beer 'as it covered," The Scotsman replied to Taela, "An' I got nae more ammo, so I'm as useful as tits on a bull. I'm suitin' up 'n goin' in after I mash yer feathers inta oblivion."

He piloted his frame next to Meena's, stood up out of the seat of the cockpit and started to get the Impulse armour on. It was the first time he'd ever had the opportunity to wear a top-end armoured battlesuit of some description, and needless to say, it felt very empowering. Along with the suit was a handheld Gauss Rifle, shiny, new, and ready to rock and roll.

The backpack included with this suit of armour was the one meant for space travel, since this was intended to be used in case the Frame needed to be evacuated. (which it did, almost legitimately)

He made a couple of last orders for the Asura's AI to stay where it was and try not to float into the ship. He then put his helmet on and let the cockpit open up into the void of space. All he could hear was his own breathing as the pressure changed around his suit, and he felt it gently ripple over him.

He made his way towards Meena's previously-occupied frame as Lucien's Asura took up a defensive position, holding onto Meena's frame and hiding from view. He sat down in the cockpit of the Kirin, and, although unfamiliar with the layout, it only took a few thoughts and some orb-touching to get the feathers to go on a suicide course.

"That ship's still bearing down at us. Sensors detect an energy buildup..." The bridge crewman quivered at first, then yelled, "The main gun is going to fire!"

"Attempting evasive maneuvers!" Shouted the helmsman. The ship faintly rumbled as something gave out.

Ged's voice spoke across the bridge before its crew could report the damage themselves. "The engines have now burned out. The Atuan is no longer capable of evasive maneuvers and is dead in the water." he spoke calmly, a slight hint of worry tinting the words. With an AI as capable as Ged, it sometimes brought into question why a ship would even have a bridge crew if he could do all the work.

"Reroute power to shields." Arah spoke simply, reclining slightly into her chair as though bored.

"This little piggy went to market..." the Demon teased, tearing off Yoshiko's blue belt. The young Yamataian weakly kicked out at the power armor, unable to speak as its grip around her neck held her tightly.

Shinji bit his lip. "Yea, me and Meena 'll stay out here an keep watch." the squad commander spoke, managing to force out the words.
"Less you wanna go too?" He asked his copilot. She shook her head at him. No. Things were getting better, but they were still damn fucking bad. He faintly worked his teeth to chew on the wooden end of a match, but it fell out, and it was nowhere in sight. The demo-expert took a hand off the control, reaching into his pocket for another match.

Empty. 'The hell?'

"This little piggy...Stayed at Home!" Fabric ripped as the black and green jacket was torn off of her, the armor constantly tormenting the frame pilot as they trudged on and on through the hallways. She couldn't even struggle; the more Yoshiko fought back and made it harder for it to unravel her, the less air she got.

She whimpered as a cold, metal clad finger hooked into her pants.

Lucien. Taela. Async. Vici. Mark. Their armor shod boots hammered across the halls of the Atuan as they desperately made their way to help. Her voice, and the Demon's, could be heard whispering in their ears as they made their way to Yoshiko, fueling their eagerness to be there fast, fanning their rage. Swears. Expression of hate. Anger. Promises of vengeance.

All present and accounted for.

"FUCK! FUCK, FUCK!" Kelly yelled at the top of his lungs. His working arm smashed the wineglass against the floor, the might of his power armor powdering the shining crystal. Even the uplifting effects of the Lorath Wine couldn't hold back this torrent of rage and despair as he watched helplessly from the sidelines.

He had watched as the beam of energy lanced out from the Yui and into the shields of the Atuan. Hope had held as the shields pushed back for a flicker before collapsing, the bridge transforming into a black crater as the aether spent itself.

"This little piggy had roast - " The impact sent both of them tumbling, the sound of tearing fabric hardly worth noticing through the harsh noise of moaning metal and screaming hull. Yoshiko flew from the surprised grip before violently slamming against a bulkhead. The pilot lay were she fell, coughing as her lungs struggled to get air through her throat. Yoshiko could barely notice the heavy footfalls, curses and swears as the Demon power armor got back on its feet, made its way towards her.

"Hehehehehe." the speakers crackled, voice high like a speaking dog on helium "Almost lost yah. Lets get back to where we were eh?" The Demon moved, and reached for Yoshiko. For her, the world ended in a brilliant flash of light.

They finally got to Yoshiko. She was dressed in nothing but her white uniform shirt, tie and blue panties when they found her. Yoshiko and Arah and the rest of the bridge crew that is. The pilots had neared the corner, around which the high pitched laughter reached a crescendo. A deafening bang and white flash briefly blinding them all before vanishing to reveal Arah standing beside the Demon, a massive smoking crater in its back. The Captain simply stood there with a large rifle in hand.

Arah, flanked by the rest of the bridge crew, turned her head towards the pilots as though it were a gun turret. She looked apathetic as always.

As for Yoshiko, she continued to gently sleep where she lay.

Sometime later, as the ruined remains of The Atuan was towed into dock by Seigan Solutions, the crew looked on from their shuttle as an all too familiar song was played.

The Atuan. For some time, it was their place of work and their home. It wasn't going to sail once more. Instead, this was the end for this battered ship and hull.

EPISODE 5: END

RPG-D RPGfix
Back