• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Submission Omnihue and Varihue

Toshiro

Submission URL
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=technology:omnihue
List Any Unapproved Sub-Articles
Submission Faction(s)
  1. Yamatai (except Elysia)
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
These are types of color technologies for inks, paints, and in one case tattoos/skin pigmentation. Omnihue actually reflects true infrared and visible color but requires nanomachines to work, while Varihue is subtractive color (CMYK) which is inferior but needs less advanced technology to work. Varihue might wind up being produced by other groups since it doesn't require specialized tech.

Omnihue was made with the assumption that our snakies could see in the infrared spectrum and might appreciate a technology that catered to that, but I haven't seen indications that they have heat vision. It's also meant to be a technology in a new Star Army Uniform concept.

Needs Yamataian FM approval, so @Wes please.

Last edited:
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Omnihue was made with the assumption that our snakies could see in the infrared spectrum and might appreciate a technology that catered to that, but I haven't seen indications that they have heat vision.

They do now...

Okay looked them over and for the most part they're good. But both of them mention how Omnihue is the better product, but neither of them really go into detail about the history of how the two products are related other than "Omnihue is the better product" so it almost looks like Omnihue was made to take a jab at Varihue. So if possible, can you got into a little history about how the company ended up developing two technologies for similar purpose with drastically different capability at pretty much the same time?

In a bit I can elaborate, but they were pretty much just two competing plans within the same company in case one proved impractical. That happens sometimes.

Edit: Made changes to the pages to indicate this.

Last edited:
Well I know it happens, just I think it's best that that is explained in the article, cause it's clear they have a history with eachother.

[ ✅ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ✅ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ✅ ] 3. The article follows our wiki style guidelines, including: No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✅ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ✅ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate and are not broken
[ ✅ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ ✅ ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ✅ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ✅ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ✅ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Alright well I'm gonna APPROVE this now, make sure it's linked to the places it needs to be.

I WOULD note something to add immediately after. Requesting it too be approved. @Syaoran

Added the following text to Omnihue:

"It can also detect light, and is used for camera, fingerprint sensor, and touchscreen applications."

" * Can detect light and provide this data to a computer to process "

"The fact Omnihue can actively absorb light that it is not meant to reflect means that it can also act as a light detector. This allows for additional uses such as a camera, fingerprint sensor, or touch-screen support without additional hardware in the display should the attached computer and software support it."

If it actively absorbs light for energy and processes what to reflect, I realized that it can also process the data the remainder gives and see a finger or act as a camera, after all. Even more useful for a communicator...or even granting a uniformed Neko skin-vision.

Last edited:
Now it looks like anything not painted with this is obsolete in comparison to something painted with this. Can you start integrating this into equipment such as Mindy 4 (which use strategically placed but finite cameras at the current point in time), any armors you think pertinent, and especially add in Dataweave modular-ability into the current issue Star Army uniforms @Toshiro?

I also think with this addition the distribution should be limited, but that's just a thought, not sure on it.

Yugumo Corporation is part of the Star Army Industrial Complex, allowing the government and Army to use its stuff. That's why KFY is also listed as a producer. As such, there is nothing preventing Omnihue from being used for military purposes as the government deems fit.

Should I add the Complex under the producer area to clarify this?

Dataweave and Omnihue are intended for the coming bodysuits, though the most recent existing uniforms seem designed to biodegrade...which this would defeat the purpose of.

How would their bio degradability defeat the purpose of this?

I meant it is able to be sold beyond military entities, not within, could be an issue. Again, just a thought.

It can be sold for civilian purposes, but it can't be produced outside of the corporations. I could have the Omnihue be "paired" only with the systems using them and also have functions for specific applications if that is suitable. Omnihue used solely for civilian painting could lack the camera/biometrics/touch, for example. I'm willing to discuss security options.

Also, while it could be used for camou, it's not as good as volumetrics. Multiple viewing angles present an issue in that case.

As for biodegradability, the new Type 35 uniforms are made to be biodegradable. The Dataweave isn't, really. As such, altering the new Type 35 uniforms with Dataweave and nanomachines defeats the purpose of that uniform.

Ame's questions have revealed a few points which were unclear in the article and need clarification. As such, this article will be undergoing a update soon. This is going to be a voluntary one to improve the understanding of the tech, its uses, and make sure its description is clear and proper. I intend to focus on the following:

The Government and Star Army's production rights (licensed for military and government purposes and producable by KFY, as per the Star Army Industrial Complex)

Security measures to prevent misuse (Civilian sales of Omnihue either omitting certain added functions or being paired with a pre-made device)

Elaboration on enhanced functionality (more streamlined description of photosensor capabilities as well as photovoltaic applications. Just thought of solar cell tarps and vantablack SAINT Mindies as possibilities.)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back