• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Character Omura Aikiko

She does not like NSPs, as the weapons are too big
But the Type 28 is compact and the Type 29 is tiny.
Energy pistols, while effective, give off energy signatures.
Energy "signatures?" - I think energy weapons would be much harder to match than a shell casing to a gun.

Shell casing are easier to dispose of then an energy residue left by a energy weapon. And really Wes, each battery for each gun has its own little difference. I bet it wouldn't take much computing power for a computer in this setting to spit out an enlisted's gun if the energy pattern was scanned. (At lest, from a GM's standpoint)

The Type 28 is compact in a relative sense -- most SA weapons are about as big as it is. We only have a few full-sized pistols, after all.

As for energy signatures -- that's why I'm trying to develop a caseless gun. We've never really determined how, in the SARP, weapons are detected on a person. Are there X-ray sensors in doorways? Energy scanners? Metal detectors? How much do they all cost? It's just a setting element we seem to not have played with. Am I wrong there?

I assume that means some left over trace of whatever energy is used. Can you tell a scalar energy bolt from a laser energy bolt? So on.

Does energy actually do that, though?

Well... Some energy does leave radiation and things to the like, and I would imagine that our energy weapons would leave some similar residue.

It would not be the energy left over but the effects of that energy. Since each weapon would be slightly different the spectrum/frequency/whatnot of its emitted beam/bolt/etc. would be slightly different and the effects of that energy on the area around the target (or where it passed through) could be detected and analyzed if one wanted to. Weapons such as lasers would have less of a issue with this since the beam's damage mechanism is pretty simple, but I imagine scaler weaponry would leave very distinctive traces.

Keep in mind this would only really be around the area it hit or, for very disruptive weapons (such as scalar and aether systems) the beam could very well cause secondary emissions (by interacting with particles on the way to the target and causing secondary emissions of radiation from them) that could leave a distinct trace in the material around the path (ground, trees, walls, etc.).

Chemically-propelled projectiles (cased and caseless weapons) would also leave chemical residue, though it would probably be more uniform between weapons of the same type (assuming the same amount of propellant and such).

In terms of a distinctive signature when fired, energy weapons would both have a advantage and disadvantage. They tend (I believe) to have less flash and other visible effects, but secondary radiation along the path (such as from ionized air) would be distinctively artificial in nature, whereas a subsonic, silenced projectile weapons emissions could fairly easily be attributed to natural phenomena (assuming they are not using something to see and track the round itself).

Still, NSPs should pretty much be all the same - as in, you wouldn't know whose NSP was used.

Fair enough.

CHARACTER APPROVED!

about the energy signatures, ive asked my father about that (military intelligence) and he says all energy powered items, weapons or non-weapons, give off a unique signature. Therefore, yes, the residue, would be traceable. it would be like twins personalities. They have the same DNA, but different experiences, making them different people. No energy core would have the exact same past, so none would leave a similar signature.

But, that should only be when in actual use, though.

Like, you couldn't remotely get the frequency of a radio antenna that wasn't transmitting, or see how much light my car shined into a sign at night once my car had passed.

true, but the use would leave lasting traces, though different time periods depending on how strong the energy was, so theoretically, something like that could leave a unique 'signature' that would last for days.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back