• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC [OOC] Cirrus Station Discussion

Re: Cirrus Station OOC Thread

Hrm... now ya got me thinking Kevyn.

Would the helmet actually do a whole lot against blunt impacts? I figured with its retractable-faceplate-nature that it wasn't exactly designed to do much more than some bullet-proofing-to-the-head.

How thick are they, anyway? I was always under the impression that the helmets were somewhat thin, and not secured against the person's head.

Not that it'll change anything, if I'm dead wrong =D Keziah managed to smash her head up a goodly bit, and the helmet did its job by not giving her a skull fracture (hopefully! ;-) )

Liam said:
Hrm... now ya got me thinking Kevyn.

Would the helmet actually do a whole lot against blunt impacts? I figured with its retractable-faceplate-nature that it wasn't exactly designed to do much more than some bullet-proofing-to-the-head.

How thick are they, anyway? I was always under the impression that the helmets were somewhat thin, and not secured against the person's head.

Not that it'll change anything, if I'm dead wrong =D Keziah managed to smash her head up a goodly bit, and the helmet did its job by not giving her a skull fracture (hopefully! ;-) )

In a worst-case scenario, Dream could always make another skull for you.

Maybe add in a couple optionals like a can opener and a laser beam.

Despite all signs, the helmet is made to at least protect against blunt blows. Of course, getting hit by a train is going to sting just a tad.

Okay, good to know!

I figured the impact would've been hard enough to make Keziah smack her head against the inside of her helmet. Even with it anchored to her suit, it's a rigid structure, and wouldn't have bent as much as her neck could when she hit the pipe.

Freespacer communication technology has transcended the concept of "frequency": you'll get ALL the frequencies. ALL the time.

It's a bit hard to get used to.

Kevyn said:
Marine 1: She's a Neko.
Marine 2: 'ow can you tell?
Marine 1: 'cause she ain't covered in shit loik the rest 'o us.

I laughed when I saw that...but, yeah, I guess that's true...And, okay, I understand what you misread now. I thought it was something else : )

Wow. I post yesterday, come back today and find myself on a completely different page. But we are finally "MISSION COMPLETE!"

Cue the mission completion status screen! (Rounds fired, Hits, Kills, Suicides, Damage Taken, etc...)

...Sorry, Kevyn, the new skull only gets AM radio : O

Missing has somewhat the right idea...there is going to be one more major plotpoint in this episode, but other than that, the main agenda has been more or less completed, and we will be moving to the next episode in another few days or so.

One thing I want to promote, however, is characters interacting with both each other and the station on their own, outside of the mission. Usually before and after each mission in each episode, I will give everyone a little time to pursue their own character's personal dramas and such. Make a new friend, discover a new area, maybe even find a little treat every now and then.

Also, don't be afraid to hold JPs or small mini-stories that don't fit in the Episode category. As long as the situation warrants it, I don't mind at all if two or three of you wish to hold a small Interlude between Episodes...all that I ask is that, when you make the new thread, you simply put "Interlude:" in front of the name. I can always change it if I don't like it, after all.

I was wondering: could we carry such "mini-stories" simultaneously to the main plot, by setting them some time earlier in the continuity?

Example: now we've just finished episode 2. I could start a thread with some stuff, and people play in it. Then, after some time, you start episode 3, that's set one or two days after episode 2. We play both the mini-thread (which is set between episode 2 and episode 3) and episode 3.

This, obviously, implies that nothing IMPORTANT happens in the mini-stories. Like those useless "character development" episodes of Star Trek :D

It'd be like a plot with an IC-time limit!

The only thing I could see going wrong is something (at least something relationship-wise) going on late in the Interlude that would change how characters react to each other in the next mission which, in OOC time, may already be happening in a parallel thread.

For example, there are two or three things that can happen concerning what Tweak just did: Either the others brush off what Ozz might say he saw on her back (since those holes are now repaired), Tweak can be questioned on where she got the cable (actually quite easy to answer), and/or there could be a neko-lynching if she is found out or she forgets to keep her helmet on.

There's also Kess' incoming lecture that Moon warned me might happen.

There could also be some good infirmary scenes between the three of the squad who got injured. And the rest of the security team has remained VERY silent after the four (five, including Flower) spelunkers went down, so there's also a curiosity about what they're all doing, thinking, saying, during this time. Where'd they all go?

Moonie, I had a couple funny things in mind for when Dream hits the showers. Should I open a separate topic, or treat it as the continue of Episode 2?

I think we still have a bit here or is what Moonie just wrote the beginning of another episode?

Either way, I'm for the interludes, but couldn't we just continue the end of one or the beginning of another? As in right now, we could set an IC time of one day until we had to go to Purina's. IRL, we could say we'll keep it open for another week and then begin the next?

Just my 0.02 cents

In other total newbie questions.....cybernetics.

Do we have the capability on the station?

I know Dream can do it and probably several other scientists. Just wondering as I plot my characters development. Any other thoughts, suggestions, good knock-knock jokes are welcomed.

Everyone should continue in Episode 2 until further notice, as it's not quite over just yet. There's still one more thing to accomplish; meeting with Purina Popjoy to receive her thanks.

As for cybernetics, I'm 100% sure that this station can do it. They're a very important part of Freespacer life support, after all, and even medium-sized ships can usually do it.

Sorry for the late reply to the recent showdown, but I'm not active enough to keep up with all of the messages that were coming in. I simply decided to wait it out and come up with a reason for James' lack of activity.

I wouldn't worry too much about it Cody; it's a common occurrence in a single-post based RP that sometimes people can get left behind and caught in the riptide.

If this ever happens, please feel free to PM me a request asking for an update about what has happened, and I will be more than happy to get you up to speed and ready to post. I don't, and won't kick players or leave them out for bouts of inactivity, especially with the sporadic and unpredictable posting spurts the Cirrus has had...a few days are slower than molasses going uphill in January with crutches, while other days we're pumping out pages by the half-hour.

So, please, ask me for and update or the like if you feel you need it. When characters aren't actively being spoken for, usually we assume they are right there in the action (which is the case here with James, of course). We definitely don't want to lose ya in the wake of all the action, so take your time, get a good idea of what you want to write, and most of all, have fun with it. :mrgreen:

Not that its a big deal...but I'm going to be out of pocket soon.

March 28th -30th

April 3rd - 6th

Other than that I will be around.

Of course, if there's a situation that comes up and I'm about to go off the grid, I leave my char in the trusted hands of Moonie. If thats acceptable.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back