• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

OOC: Senate RPers

Double post, sorry.

Andrew is no longer around: the Taiie Senator is no longer presented. I don't want to handle it, but someone might want to take up the role *elbow nudges Doshii Jun*.

*shakes head* Naww. I can't be the senator of Albini. I could have joined before the senate... but there's nothing for me to identify myself to with Albini.

I'll just go out there, colonize some star, give it a name and decide what's there eventually - that'll help me make a senator. XD

I apologize. I really haven't been keeping up at all. I'll change it, but it will probably be something to the same effect; I don't think it's really far out there that the senator would be going over documents and reports concerning the battle, considering it's apparent scale.

That battle was back in early YE 27 (in 2004!) It's been quite some time.

Doshii Jun said:
Does the Senate hold the power of the purse? Or is it purely regulatory?
What do you mean?

Congress' primary power, in terms of U.S. government, is the power of money. Congress gets their way over other branches of government because they are the sole governmental body that can assign budgets and approve spending -- at least when it comes to federal projects.

For instance, when Montana wanted to keep its speed limit at 80+ mph, Congress (through the executive branch's road department, the Department of Transportation) said, "If you don't do it our way, we will withhold federal funding for your highway projects." Even though Congress cannot withhold too much (MAX of 5 percent, I believe, without triggering some kind of review), that money is usually so vital to states that they comply. Some don't, of course, as that was the controversy over the drinking age.

So I wonder, does the Senate here have the power to withhold funds?

Only if they do it through the proposal system.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back