• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[OR] RFF-117c Vespera, Stealth Reconnaissance Strike Craft

Scribbles

Inactive Member
As my schedule seems to be opening up with, and having previously discussed the situation with Tomoe, I finally have more time to invest in making the Occhestans more viable race for PC's. The first in what is hopefully a new series of designs from me.

A small craft to start with, no spectacular fleet killing battleships; in regards to previous Occhestan tech it reuses a lot, the only major technological additions have been the development of a new light stealth armor, and the use of much less archaic sensors.

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=rf ... rike_craft

In regards to Uso's previous question, the Meson Weapon entry has been further shortened to essentials, but now contains a link to the main article.

Wes said:
Let me know when updates are made.

I have added a bunch of links, made a few minor text edits, specifically noted some of the limitations the GNF places on its user(this wasn't as clear on the A-279, since it lacked those systems). As for the long CTA writeup I've contacted Vesper about it, he assures me he has a copy of the original, it but it will take a little while to dig up, it already appears on the A279(itself approved September 16, 2007), and if I remember its not particularly amazing(its a simple non-aetheric low-med output power source), it will be (re)added to the wiki once I get a copy. In regards to adding the art to the wiki, the file needs to be added to the Star Army server for that, and in anticipation I have made a new copy with the Star Army blue background here.

I put the CTA write-up up, it can be seen here.

In regards to Uso's question, the meson cannon determines the velocity of the meson packet when it is condensed from the QGP. The resultant recoil is transferred through the field to the firing ship. It was originally intended for deployment in a attack ship that never was completed. The model in that ship had immensely higher energy output than the one in this fighter and so had substantial reinforcement around the meson system to handle the recoil. The unit in this fighter (or really any of this size) would not see any substantial recoil unless it fired a heavy matter bolt.

Though the meson cannon could not fire normally with the GNF active it would still be able to heat the matter to QGP temperatures and fire them accurately at a reasonable distance, functioning as a plasma weapon.

In regards to its operation, precision is not really a key feature. Since the weapons bolt essentially ignores armor (mesons do not react with matter) it would be releasing its full energy within the target and so against a smaller target the precision of the shot is not particularly relevant. So long as the packet detonates somewhere within the target it is probably going to be destroyed. It is noted in the original document that precision is needed when used against larger targets (such as spaceships) because these targets are likely to have internal bulkheads tough enough to meaningfully affect the blast.

Also, against shields I stated that the mesons are not particularly shield penetrating to distinguish them from other weapons which are inherently shield penetrating (such as many subspace weapons). It was not meant to imply that meson weapons are not, in effect, good at penetrating shields.

Since mesons are not subject to the Pauli Exclusion Principle (which states, in essence, that a particle cannot occupy the same space as another) the meson bolt can be fired at densities far higher than other weapons.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back