Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Worldbuilding Prompt Organ Donation in the Star Army Setting

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
Discord Booster
🎨 Media Gallery
In the Star Army's sci-fi setting, the complexities of medical technology have advanced far beyond what we know today. Yet, the question remains: How do you think organ donation works in the SARPiverse? Is traditional organ donation still a practice, with soldiers and civilians alike donating their organs to those in need? Or have technological advancements like 3D printing, cloning, or even synthetic biology rendered the need for organ donation obsolete? Explore the implications of your chosen approach—how does it affect medical ethics, the value of life, and the bond between comrades in the Star Army? What are the cultural, religious, or societal views on organ donation in one or more factions or cultures in this advanced era?

If you can build a whole body out of hemosynth, then building a single organ doesn't seem too much of a problem. Some species, such as the Senti, might need new medical research so that we can ST them and recreate their bodies for them. However, in general if we want to replace some or all parts in a body, that seems completely doable. I don't really think there is any important medical ethical problem as new built organs don't have the 'supply' problems of the natural method. Value of life probably goes up overall.

At least in nep Cybernetics are abundant and cheap and don't always have to be a laser gun built into your arm. So it does kinda raise the question of the point of organ harvesting in the part of the setting where it might actually be more likely to take place (nep) if you can get a new heart for the equivalent of a weeks pay and a couple hours of some prosthetisis' time.

As for Donation I assume it would work the same. I dunno about in yamatai since they don't use cybernetics as much and have a higher grade of medical technology but Nep has Cybernetics on hand and flash-cloning where you can get a pair of lungs in the right conditions faster than you can extract some. I think maybe the donation and harvesting of natural organs might be something pretty irrelevant in this setting unless you're maybe a mutant who might find their body rejecting cybernetics but can graph a kidney.

At least until someone decides you can transplant a nekos heart into someone and it works and you get into that kind of ethical debacle of drawing dotted lines on a captured cat like some piece of meat at a butcher because she has some hemosynth super heart just as good and self-healing.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back