• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

[origin] Armored Pilot Suit

I believe the lack of comments is that their isn't much to comment on. Its a space suit. It keeps people alive in space. It has some armor on it to help keep people alive in space. There is not much of anything contentious here for people to comment on.

The only thing it maybe could do with is a structure point entry (from here), but I don't know if those are really required of things like this suit. Personally, I would also go for more detail, but there is definatly something to be said for keeping it short and sweet.

Other than a a misspelled word, (abiliy) and an improper usage, kevlar should be capitalized, since its a trade mark Kevlar

it looks good, since it is called an Armored Pilot suit, I would expect to see a DR rating, at least on the personal scale.

Lastly what is the power supply for the suit?

Especially considering if you're using some form of plating, I would liketo see the DR for this, preasu. And Nash did bring up a valid point, what powers this?

Might be worth adding some pressure-rings like real pilot suits have that squeeze the body to get blood moving to prevent blackout.

And this is a silly thing to bring up but I assume it plugs into whatever the pilot is using to provide a more permanent supply of air?

There are a few things, not necessarily wrong to not include, but are at the least worth consideration, that I see.

First, the article states that the suit has the components necessary for interfacing with Origin equipment, but does the suit have any communication abilities of its own? If so, of what sort and range are they?

Also, since this is a military flight suit, I think some emergency features might be useful. Related to the communications ability of the suit, perhaps an emergency beacon might be a useful addition. I'm not sure if the suit is intended for use in vehicles operating in an atmosphere, but if so, perhaps hard-points for attaching a parachute or counter-gravity unit might be useful, as would a small pack with emergency rations and other survival gear. I'm just thinking of the standard sort of equipment military aviators have on their harnesses in reality.

Finally, internal to the suit, are there any mechanisms for eating and drinking within the helmet? It could just be something as simple as a camelbak sort of tube for water, and indeed maybe another tube for energy gel or paste. Of course, these are not strictly necessary in a survival sense, but more useful in terms of providing for user comfort.

Anyways, just some thoughts.

Anything designed by Origin, where the pilot will have to wear this suit, will have inertial dampeners.

And yes, i'm not an idiot. I'm not going to make the cockpit a vacuum.

While you have some vaild concerns, those concerns are rendered inert by design features in Origin Industries craft in which the pilot will be wearing this suit.

Such as the fact that a parachute is not needed in a ground vehicle.

Secondly, the visor can open, to allow the pilot to eat and drink. And I don't see the need for cluttering down the pilot with equipment that can be carried inside the vehicle's cockpit itself.

Just one thing, well two rolled into one. Is the suit going to be sold to individuals and if so what is the price?

it should be, This isn't an accessory to a specific system, so it should have a price. In fact, All Origin stuff *should* have a price, but I haven't really been enforcing this recently.... Must change that...

FiveMarks said:
Made some changes to the suit.
When you make changes to a submission, you should list them for reviewers.

Reviewers: Please use the checklist.

Please list the changes you made like I asked.

I changed the power source, and took off a great deal of armor.

Alrighty. Seems reasonable but was this per Wes' requests?

Wes, can you backup your concerns so the tech mods can get a sense of this new direction to better help them review this?

And yes, i'm not an idiot. I'm not going to make the cockpit a vacuum.

Right but you've said several times you're including no speed reduction equipment. No parachute. No emergency food pack -- So this is obviously going to be used in space where everything outside the vehicle in question is a vacuum - hence it's logical you make changes accordingly.

Also why the bias against atmospheric conditions?
No need for a long-winded reply, I'm just curious on a personal basis.

Let's run by the submission checklist...

My only issue is you need to drop in some nomenclature - nomenclature are that string of numbers and letters which indicate who produced something and the model number. Like VF means Variable Fighter. Y indicates prototype and F indicates prototype for Prototype Fighter. X indicates test-type or something produced in extremely limited numbers. A great place to start would be the model numbers to the many parts of the Mindy. Work out the pattern or even come up with your own system!

I see no reason not to approve this submission pending further review from a Tech-Moderator.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…