• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Origin: Boreanium

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
This is ideal stuff to build heatsinks and coolant pipes out of.

Nice way to get around a lot of constraints for equipment like railguns so they can fire regularly without the barrels warping.

I can see marketing this as rifling in high velocity high precision weapons or for plasma weapons and plasmic engines to build them lighter... Turbines... Thermal compressors... Even heating equipment.

So I imagine it's like the stuff they build the space shuttle out of. I've actually held a brick of it. It's very light and weird smelling. It glows orange hot when super-heated but you can hold it even in this state and it radiates the heat as light. It is very very awesome stuff.

Very very cool. I can see a lot of applications for what is quite a unique material - making a lot of specialty equipment lighter and more reliable.

I can see myself buying some. I like it.

using it's entire surface to radiate the heat away. – All materials already radiate heat away using their entire surfaces. I am assuming this means the material is good at distributing the heat around its surface in which case it will be just as hot on all sides, making it a terrible insulator as it would allow heat to quickly pass through to the other side.

Heat-Resistant: Boreanium does not bend or warp when exposed to high heat or friction. (AND) Non-Ablative: Boreanium does not ablate when exposed to high-temperatures. - Then what does this do when exposed to heat? It would have to instantly ablate in order to not bend or warp, and to not ablate it would have to bend or warp to absorb the energy.

thermal targeting systems have a 50% chance to start targeting the Boreanium object. – This is metagaming and isn’t allowed under SARP rules.

This is essentially has the opposite properties of the heat resistant tiles of the space shuttle.

I would like to Reiterate this:

Wes said:
I would like to remind everyone that we have guidelines for submission review that you must follow if you're going to post in a technology review thread.
Uso said:
Aether is a place, not a thing.
Short, drive by posts like this are not acceptable. You're supposed be constructive and helpful.
Guide for Submission Review said:
Try to find something positive to say, provide encouragement. If the submission has flaws, they surely should be mentioned-but try to start off with something positive about the submission. It brings validity to the points you will make later. If there are flaws, and you point them out-try to encourage the person to go back to the drawing board-rather than leaving them feeling rejected. Don't be insulting, providing nonconstructive critique; it makes the person submitting the creation feel bad and takes away from the validity of your suggestions.

Identify any problems, if any, in a respectful manner. Give specifics, identify what areas of the submission require improvement, expansion or other type of edit. Don't point out flaws without offering some kind of suggestion of how the person can either fix the flaw, or rework the submission to make it fit more into the setting. If you're willing to critique something, be prepared to step up and help the creator of the submission.

As Wes has pointed out: “We are all in this together.” We are a community, and its up to us as members of this community to build it and each other up by turning the tech forum from a place to have something torn apart, to a place where we help each other build and create things for the setting we can improve the community as a whole.

Basically, If you're not going to say something positive, try to be more helpful than "This doesn't work"

I know it is. What I'm trying to say by quoting that is BE HELPFUL.

Don't just say "it's wrong." and leave. Even if you' write a light novel as to why it's wrong, that's not helpful. Give suggestions. try to contact the author of the article and discuss what he can do to make the submission act the way he wants it to act, and do it properly.

On the 50% chance thing, Five, just remove that, it's kinda stupid and doesn't make sense. any GM worth their salt using something with Boreanium will know something glowing white hot will show up on sensors.

I also agree that 'special properties' in new alloys and metals need to stay out of submissions. Not just this one, mind, but it does show up pretty glaringly. Added special effects and fluff do not factor in well with the current DR system, and are just a means to over-complicate.

I'm also a little skeptical as to why you would need boreanium as most of its properties are already accomplished through other alloys and metals already in the setting. Is it simply that the Origin tech developers wants to build their stuff with a unique metal, or are there properties of boreanium that justify it being a completely separate submission.

'cause I don't see why we need another type of alloy that essentially accomplishes what durandium already does.

MoonMan said:
I also agree that 'special properties' in new alloys and metals need to stay out of submissions. Not just this one, mind, but it does show up pretty glaringly. Added special effects and fluff do not factor in well with the current DR system, and are just a means to over-complicate.

I'm also a little skeptical as to why you would need boreanium as most of its properties are already accomplished through other alloys and metals already in the setting. Is it simply that the Origin tech developers wants to build their stuff with a unique metal, or are there properties of boreanium that justify it being a completely separate submission.

'cause I don't see why we need another type of alloy that essentially accomplishes what durandium already does.

Boreanium is more of a weapons grade material, meant for making heat-resistant rails in railguns, and high temperature Anti-Armor weaponry. I had not found any materials sufficient for doing this, So I made my own. The unique thing about Boreanium is it's warping resistance and the fact that it's ferrous and hard, which is what I need. Also, this material does not mess around with DR in any new, wonky ways.

As well, yes, yes we do want some materials to call our own.

So how is this any different from durandium +1 then?

I mean really all you've done is said that this is durandium, but it doesn't take any damage. No drawbacks are listed and the same sort of contradictory material properties are here as were in the original impervium. Really what is to stop someone from just making a new material and saying it has all of these properties AND it cures cancer? Isn't this just the same one upsmanship type submission that SARP has been trying to move away from?

Also, if something does not bend or warp when exposed to heat, it would have to ablate. If it does not ablate then where is the heat going when it reaches this material? It can't actually go into the material because the material isn't bending or warping (thermal expansion) and the heat isn't being instantly dissipated through ablation. It could be RESISTANT to bending and warping but nothing can just not bend or warp entirely.

Also, again, this would be an extremely poor material to use in rail guns or as high temperature armor. Imagine using it in railguns, all of the heat produced on the inside would be instantly radiated on the outside of the rails as well, burning and melting everything attached to the railgun limiting it to just a few shots. The same goes with armor, this is described as an amazing conductor of heat, like wraping yourself in aluminum foil and jumping into an oven. It is really only going to help cook the person inside the armor evenly.

Space Shuttle tiles Ablate, Warp, and bend which make them amazing insulators. Heat does not pass through the blocks easily (they really only radiate heat away on the side that is being heated). Heat does not easily transfer into the blocks either. When exposed to high heat the surface will ablate to dispose of the majority of the heat and even when the tiles are extremely well saturated with heat they do not radiate heat away well, allowing the surface to stay cool.

Fiver said:
Boreanium is more of a weapons grade material, meant for making heat-resistant rails in railguns, and high temperature Anti-Armor weaponry. I had not found any materials sufficient for doing this, So I made my own. The unique thing about Boreanium is it's warping resistance and the fact that it's ferrous and hard, which is what I need. Also, this material does not mess around with DR in any new, wonky ways.

Ah, I see.

This sounds a lot like the unnamed metalloid ammunition that was used in Nepleslia's HPAR,, but is meant to remain "bullet-like" whereas the HPAR's ammunition is more akin to a mix between bullet and plasma.

If that's the case, I don't have much of a problem with it. Making bullets and junk out of Durandium and Nerimium does 'feel' a bit off.

MoonMan said:
Fiver said:

Ah, I see.

This sounds a lot like the unnamed metalloid ammunition that was used in Nepleslia's HPAR,, but is meant to remain "bullet-like" whereas the HPAR's ammunition is more akin to a mix between bullet and plasma.

If that's the case, I don't have much of a problem with it. Making bullets and junk out of Durandium and Nerimium does 'feel' a bit off.

I'm not even making bullets out of it. I'm making the barrels and rails and mechanisms with it

And Uso, maybe if you actually read the article you'd have an understanding of it

I don't think you understand how a rail guns or heat transfer works.

Note: My previous post does assume you are making the rails of a railgun from your material. The heat transfer from which would destroy your power couplings and melt any round that is loaded within a few shots making the weapon unusable. Just like how any armor made from this material would cook whoever is inside of it when it gets hit.

Really, I think he's just trying to create a more durable form of Aerogel. I don't really see what the problem is with that.

As for not absorbing heat, how would that cook someone in the Armor? The heat wouldn't pass through the armor to cook the person in it.

This is described as using it entire surface area to re-radiate heat, and that it absorbs heat very well.

Surface area is going to include the inside as well.

Of course this is absolutely nothing like Aerogel in terms of properties or makeup, it is a metal/ceramic and a very poor insulator.

Metallic, yeah good source of thermal conductivity. Ceramics, not so much. They use ceramics in the space shuttle to insulate against heat for reentry. So layer the material. It has the metallic elements to absorb the heat on the side that is getting hit, and the ceramic part prevents the heat from getting to the interior of the armor. Then the metallic component is mixed right so that it is quite good at releasing heat as light like the article says. Maybe do it so that the layers are quite thin and have alternating layers to help maintain structural integrity. The stuff is still going to eventually be destroyed by heat, but it last a lot longer and better then stuff that isn't specifically designed to be heat resistant.

Ok, but this is an alloy, not a layered material. This is also defined as using its entire surface area to radiate heat, not just the area (or side) that has been hit also meaning that even if you layer multiple sections of this material it is going to transfer the heat right through anyways. It also does not bend or warp so the metal portion of the armor does not absorb any heat (as metals bend and warp) and of course the ceramic portion does not ablate so it is going to be very bad at getting rid of heat (of course not withstanding that these are not separate portions of the alloy according to the description on the wiki.)

Really what you are describing is a type of armor, not an alloy. In a sense just ‘making stuff up’ that isn’t part of the submission.

Why? Can't it act as an intermediate for a dedicated cooling system using enthalpic properties of the boreanium - or even actually physically shed the boreanium in microscopic layers once it reaches peak thermodynamic capacity?

Develop an imagination and don't be so quick to judge everything, Durrwood.
Just because it isn't a pickle.

Why? Can't it act as an intermediate for a dedicated cooling system using enthalpic properties of the boreanium - or even actually physically shed the boreanium in microscopic layers once it reaches peak thermodynamic capacity?

Actually, no, it can't.

Like the writeup says the material doesn't ablate nor does it act as a good insulator. This makes it an extremely bad choice for a coolant system.

You can't just make stuff up that is directly contradicted by the submission : /

The unimaginative durrwood said:
You can't just make stuff up that is directly contradicted by the submission : /

Actually I can. The kid is already talking about changing the little things.

Where I come from we call what I wrote a suggestion.

Actually, now that I've had more time to think about it, does it really need to be changed? If you use the alloy as an armor you just have to make sure to slap a really good insulator between the pilot of the craft it's on and it and if you use it for the rails of weapons just make sure the internal cooling for it is enough to make sure that it doesn't melt ammo that it comes in contact with. The alloy can remain the same, you just have to keep in mind it's problems when you do a design with it.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back