• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[Origin] Cut It, Chain Straight!

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
I'm making this back into a Chainsaw Vibroblade.

The Vibrations make it easier to cut through stuff, and it heats up the teeth of the blade.

And its made from Nerimium, with Endurium and Durandium backing.

If this isn't enough to satisfy you, then please, voice your concerns. I'll just ask you to make your own Giant Robot sized Straight-Katana.

Unless those saw teeth are indestructible, the chainsaw blades would be utterly useless after one try. Not to mention the fact the thing needs to superheat to "metal piercing" temperatures would either weaken or melt the chain together. Added to the fact the hyper vibrations would also either weaken or destroy the chainsaw.

Edit: removing the last line due to trolling. Will add helpful advice in a later post.

Blue Impact and Cora, do you have any suggestions on what he could do to fix it? What you just said above is unhelpful without it.

Well, removing the one part of the weapon that makes all three structurally incompatible would probably be the best option. A Vibro-heat blade would make a better weapon then one that's dependent on a moving toothed chainbelt that would wear out amazingly fast and would be weakened or out right destroyed by the other parts.

So, reducing the coolness factor by 1 still makes for a cool weapon.

That doesn't change that the blades are a bladed chain. There are structural weaknesses to that that even a strong metallic alloy or some such cannot over come with being sturdy.

Which is why the chain only lasts for a certain amount of time, before being ejected, and replaced with a new one.

Can you please modify the article to fit standard templates? I mean knowing it can be replaced is nice, but you have no information on HOW it's replaced.

More to the point, if you're using that method, you need to specify how long it can be used before replacement, and how many 'reloads' it has. It works the same as a gun magazine in that case.

Aendri said:
More to the point, if you're using that method, you need to specify how long it can be used before replacement, and how many 'reloads' it has. It works the same as a gun magazine in that case.

Already have.

Seriously, I'm beginning to think that none of you have even read the article.

That would require more tech then the article and the DOGA artwork shows, Fred. This is a Chain-saw Katana. Not to mention a bike's gear wheels aren't even remotely a good means to describe how this thing would change chains.

When other people make something reloadable, they don't have to explain the reloading mechanism. I think that "Chain-less sword slides into sheath, new chain attaches, You're good to go" , which is stated in the article, is good enough.

The Simple fact of the matter is this: Chris, you're holding this up and voicing irreverent complaints on this because i'm the person submitting it. And in doing so, you are hampering my plot, the Atuan, from being more and more fleshed out, and my PCs from having new toys to play with. Now, I don't mind you dammit up my submissions when it only affects me, but when it affects my players, it becomes another story altogether.

I do agree that there is a prevalent, overly picky attitude directed against this submission.

I'm not personally very fond of it, but it's more because I'm not a big fan of giant robots as much as Fiver is. Personally, I don't think they have much of a place in how Wes envisioned SARP. On the other hand, they're in and in some placed like the Iroma, they seem to be turning out rather well with the people involved in the Iroma plots.

But otherwise... his submission doesn't bother me, doesn't stop me from having fun in the rest of the SARP and it seems very directed to be used in one plot in particular. I won't pretend I like the attitude Fiver's been showing in this situation, but I have a hard time convincing myself it isn't undeserved. There's a clear bias and he's being put up to standards most of our other submissions are not.

Seeing giant robots are already in and that giant robots swinging around big swords are credibly going to be able to cut through something of a similar size (hinting at amounts of damage going much beyond the scale of our DR thing - which is normal) there's nothing technically wrong with anykind of DR assigned to this either. Weapons like this one really deliver the damage that goes more in line to the GM's call at the time than anything else.

Which brings me to think that at this point, the only good argument I see against this submission would be arbitrary from Wes on the basis of if he'd accept such a weapon in his setting. Seeing his second post blatantly hints he has no such issue, I think the obvious outcome then - baring the silliness I've seen raised here - is obvious.

Therefore, I recommend approval.

Well the majority of my concerns were already addressed. I still think the damage is a bit high, but I'm not going to hold it up.

Approved.

Five, you're being silly. The rearming of this is necessary to be detailed because it's not something we can think of. No, a gun doesn't really need to explain how it chambers a round. Everyone has enough of an idea of how that works that it's unnecessary. This, however, proposes to do something in seconds what has taken me an hour to do at home, with tools. So yes, I would like at least a little bit of an explanation on how it reloads, because I don't see how it's possible.

While this may not be how Five envisioned it, I think it may work like this -

1. Busted chain is ejected from the sword.
2. Sheath sword
3. At the tip of the sheath, the spare chains are coiled together like an roll of ribbons with the open end of it sticking out from a small opening in a compartment separating the chains and the sword
4. A slot opens in the top of the sword, connecting the tip of the sword to the chain
5. A mechanism threads it into the hole and loops the chain around and under that piece, coming out almost right next to it as part of the track on the sword.
6. The mechanism threads the whole thing through, and the process is done.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back