• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

[Origin] Destiny AI suites

Sensors

The King suite has sensors which, in passive mode, can detect things up to 1,000,000 miles away, and in active mode can detect and provide information on objects up to 550,000 miles away.

I'm going to have to immediately ask you what kind of sensors these are. What is the underlying mechanism for detection and target analysis?

Targeting control

The King Suite has a targeting control system capable of giving detailed information on 300 targets, as well as simply tracking the position and orientation (Friend/foe) of up to 1,000 targets.

Orientation = IFF. Being able to tract a large number of objects inside of sensors range is nothing big, so you can keep the numbers.

However, I am curious as to how the system analyzes the enemy object, since that requires fairly sophisticated sensors and existing data on the signatures generated by certain systems, substances, etc...

Electronic Warfare

The King Suite has an electronic warfare software package that can play havoc with sensors by flooding them with large amounts of false information.

How does it do this?

1) Sensors: Ummm... I actually don't know. through most of the articles in this category I looked (meaning computer systems) it doesn't say much, except in the MEGAMI article, but i was under the impression it was speaking of special types available only to Militaries. I'll look into it.

2) Targeting control: I'll fix the IFF thing. It gets this info from the sensors, which apparently need more fleshing out.

3) ECM: Just like it says, it spews out large amounts of false information that gets picked up by sensors and computer systems and the like. I would assume most real military grade systems can just brush it aside with their superior computing power, it's more to confuse pirates and the like. I'll try to explain it better in the article, however.

Sensors: Well, it could be RADAR/LADAR, exotic particle, distortions sensors... there's a lot to go on here.

ECM: Unless you're deliberately hacking their computer and telling their computers to display false data, the false data you're transmitting isn't going to be any use. You can fake signatures for IFF, generate EM interference or fire off some flares to distract them... but information is not simply picked up by sensors and automatically displayed in the sense you're putting forward.

Due to the nature of ECM, it would probably be best to make that a separate subsystem. Especially since ECM and ECCM technologies are constantly changing, easier to replace a subsystem on a vessel than to have to scrap the computer because the ECM is no longer effective.

The ECM isn't meant to do anything against military systems, just to confuse lower tech enemies such as pirates. It's not all that specialized, it just spams fake information in hopes of overloading a given system's capacity. It's not real ECM in the way we're used to.

What are the underlying mechanisms behind the sensors subsystems? I see Neutrino and Unified Field Theory being tossed around, but it doesn't tell me what the sensors are actually picking up.

Bumpity. All the concerns Exhack brought up have been addressed. this submission is fully ready to be reviewed.

What's the price of this sensor suite?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back