Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[Origin] Frame Weapons

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
just be patient. Angering the Tech mods by annoying them is just as bad as Making Zesuaium +10

Three things came up upon a cursory look of the articles.

1: I am a little wary of the Gamma Ray Emitter. If it does light damage to the armor, do you believe the Gamma Rays would still penetrate to harm the organic lifeform within? I would imagine most armors would have counter measures against cosmic rays and the like. Maybe not much, but it may indeed be there. But that is not the point of this. If you are implying it does, then would you kindly list the damage on the personal scale for references sake? As well as how long it would take perhaps. I'd rather leave this one up to someone else atm since I'm a bit busy.

2: The "Hyper Rifle" seems ok. The rounds it uses however while quite hard, would be quite brittle too. Iridium and Osmium are both hard, dense metals, but brittle. Thus, I assume it is alloyed, or cored.

3: How does the Light Railgun Rifle have the same damage capability as the heavier equivalent? You have a lower muzzle velocity over all, slightly weaker ammunition, and a lighter payload. Could you please elaborate?

Edited the Ammo on the Hyper Rifle and the Light Railgun. Modified the DR on the GR Vulcans.

OI-M1-3108 Ionic Pulse Weapon
This is a weaker version of a starship weapon, but this weaker version has a range in space of 150,000 km (90,000 miles) but the cannon only goes 3000 miles

The rate of fire for the weaker is significantly higher, firing 9 times in the same amount of time the starship mounted version fires only 2 times. I presume you are implying that the weaker version has a faster recharge cycle.

Space Missiles
Do we really need an anti-matter missile OI-Z3C Space Missiles?
Functionally the OI-Z3b is also a Frame Weapon, and has greater range and does the same damage except without anti-matter?

Seems redundant.

1: I am a little wary of the Gamma Ray Emitter. If it does light damage to the armor, do you believe the Gamma Rays would still penetrate to harm the organic lifeform within? I would imagine most armors would have counter measures against cosmic rays and the like. Maybe not much, but it may indeed be there. But that is not the point of this. If you are implying it does, then would you kindly list the damage on the personal scale for references sake? As well as how long it would take perhaps. I'd rather leave this one up to someone else atm since I'm a bit busy.

Physical armor can only ever stop a percentage of gamma and that is determined by its TVT Raiting which is a function of density x thickness. You're pretty much going to need high end starship grade shields to stop cosmic rays and thats going to require a metric shit-ton of power.

Also, greater than 80 grays of radiation will instantly kill a human. More than 10 is sufficient to kill a human within days though they will instantly be disoriented. 1-2 is enough to caused illness and damage.

A directed gamma ray blast (Gaser) operating at weapon levels will almost certainly be able put out 80 grays, but will disperse a bit before hitting the target which will reduce the target's exposure.

And without going into the science to much, the heated longsword really shouldn't be heated. Just being higher than the melting point of steel won't help cut through steel as you'd need to be much, much higher than the melting point of steel for that scheme to work and that temperature will weaken the sword so much it would fall apart after the first hit.

Nashoba said:
OI-M1-3108 Ionic Pulse Weapon
This is a weaker version of a starship weapon, but this weaker version has a range in space of 150,000 km (90,000 miles) but the cannon only goes 3000 miles

The rate of fire for the weaker is significantly higher, firing 9 times in the same amount of time the starship mounted version fires only 2 times. I presume you are implying that the weaker version has a faster recharge cycle.
Yes, I am implying that. I'll add it onto the weapon's page.

Nashoba said:
Space Missiles
Do we really need an anti-matter missile OI-Z3C Space Missiles?
Functionally the OI-Z3b is also a Frame Weapon, and has greater range and does the same damage except without anti-matter?

Seems redundant.

Yes, we need a space version because we don't have any missiles that work in space and are guided. One is guided, but it's powered by an air breathing engine. One works in space, but it is unguided.

The 0I-Z3b operates both in atmosphere and space.

accelerating it to .1c.
Range: 60 KM in atmosphere, 500,000 KM in Space
Muzzle Velocity: Mach 7.6 in atmosphere, .0001c in Space

This makes the OI-Z3C redundant.

Nashoba said:
The 0I-Z3b operates both in atmosphere and space.

accelerating it to .1c.
Range: 60 KM in atmosphere, 500,000 KM in Space
Muzzle Velocity: Mach 7.6 in atmosphere, .0001c in Space

This makes the OI-Z3C redundant.

The Z3b is unguided.

OI-M1-W3109 Heated Longsword
1) As Uso said, trying to heat the blade isn't going to help. First most of the SARP universe armors are more durable than steel, so heating the blade to that temp would have no real affect.
2) Unless you are going to hold the blade against the other armor and have it try to melt its way through, the heat wouldn't matter.
3) There is no mention of how the blade would get the power necessary to heat the blade to that temp or controls for it.

My recommendation would be to remove the heating aspect, the blade is intimidating enough.

Also the Damage Rating seems way too high for a melee weapon. You're trying to say that this sword is as damaging as big missiles and high powered mecha weapons.

Clarify what class the SP is? I'm presuming the 10 SP is Mecha

Suggest the following change to DR

• Damage(Piercing): ADR 3
  • Damage(Slashing): ADR 2

Why not have the blade vibrate instead? I believe something about an incredibly high frequency of vibration makes things shatter.

So Back on the important subject, that subject being getting more of my stuff approved.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back