• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Origin Standard Starship Torpedoes

I might be crazy, but I always thought that cluster munitions generally did less damage overall. The beauty of cluster munitions isn't that they do gobs of damage but that when encountering point defense weapons they aren't easily neutralized. Overall each warhead is generally weaker since they're smaller than a dedicated warhead of equal size (to the combined unit). They each carry propulsion, navigation, and other electronics and equipment that reduces the overall payload of the actual warhead itself. But as indicated by Orion, the odds of getting through a point defense grid when using cluster munitions is much much higher.

With cluster munitions the normal method of using the DR system may not work since by nature only part of them could hit, they could hit seperate areas, or they could hit the same area.

Here's my thought on how to simulate cluster munitions best: Treat each Warhead as DR:1, BUT if any of them hit the same area you combine their DRs together. This way if a point defense round takes out a warhead the DR is appropriately reduced, it also allows for the warheads to have spread out against the target and thus do reduced damage while still giving an advantage for all of them hitting the same spot (or really close).

edit: Now I feel dumb, that's basically the way it's set up.

Multiple Independent Reentry Vehicle. Used on American and Soviet ICBMs. Replaced old ICBMs which had only one warhead, with ICBMs that had multiple warheads that would seperate to attack multiple targets.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back