• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[Origin] Starfighter accessories

Kai

Retired Staff
Inactive Member
Typically, shields have a stopping value equal to their size class (1 through 5). For example, a light hull's shields will entirely block a very light damage or light damage weapon, but stronger weapons will only be mitigated and the excess attack power would hit the ship's hull. A vessel can improve the stopping power of its shield by transferring more power to one facing of the vessel at the expense of another (A light ship [2] could reduce mitigation on his front shield to 1 and increase his rear shielding to 3 while he is being chased).

And right here those rules allow for the Threshold to be increased beyond what their normal threshold would be. Nowhere does it state that a ship's threshold must be capped by class size.

Technically, the Mindy II's armshields doesn't work quite according to the DR rules. Its threshold is 5, but it doesn't cover the whole armor and it's absorbtion capacity is still pretty limited, but tied into weapon power too.

The DR sheet is a guideline, not a straightjacket.

The 'increase threshold' type exploits were something that were removed by the last change in the DR rules. It should be assumed that the goal of these rules would be to prevent people from doing exactly that, adding shields to increase threshold beyond what a ship should have.

What is the point of having rules if everyone keeps asking for exceptions in their submissions?

This kind of thing has been going on less lately, but still begs the question why something needs to be placed above the normal rule set in order to be special and can't just be creative in and of itself.

This is no exception.

It is within the DR rules.

Yes, it gives an advantage, that is what it is supposed to do. I'm sorry you can't seem to accept that, and are so set upon nerfing anything you haven't thought up.

Honestly, stop arguing for argument's sake, and quit clogging up the Submission threads with your unhelpful cyclical arguments.

That's the thing Uso. I've read that article up and down and nothing says that it must be the way you say it's supposed to be. All I read are words like "typically" and "usually". These are not words used to restrict and I find your interpretation of them to be sadly lacking.

If you're so up in arms about it, make a suggestion as to how to correct it. Be helpful rather than repeat the same phrase in a variety of ways over and over again. I could train creatures to do the same thing you are doing now and it would be a lot more endearing.

Kai,
I have interpreted this design as not being a multiple shield application, but rather, it boosts the capability of the existing system.

However, I do have a problem with this drawback you included.
There is a major drawback, however, and that is that these pods take a major energy draw, so, for craft not powered by Aether, these shields will double the rate of fuel consumption while functioning.

The most prevalent power source in use is Aether, so any craft using it would not have any drawback. And I seriously doubt that a fusion reactor would survive operating at 200% of capacity. That and I doubt that designers in the days of SARP would design a craft with wasted energy production.

I would suggest that a better solution would be to have the propulsion be reduced by a percentage somewhere in the 10-15% range.

Nashoba said:
Kai,
I have interpreted this design as not being a multiple shield application, but rather, it boosts the capability of the existing system.

However, I do have a problem with this drawback you included.
There is a major drawback, however, and that is that these pods take a major energy draw, so, for craft not powered by Aether, these shields will double the rate of fuel consumption while functioning.

The most prevalent power source in use is Aether, so any craft using it would not have any drawback. And I seriously doubt that a fusion reactor would survive operating at 200% of capacity. That and I doubt that designers in the days of SARP would design a craft with wasted energy production.

I would suggest that a better solution would be to have the propulsion be reduced by a percentage somewhere in the 10-15% range.

The Scimitar isn't powered by Aether. All Origin Industries products that are the size to use this are powered by fusion

Fiver, my reference to Aether it is a common power source in Yamatai which is where Origin operates. And there is nothing in this submission that says that they can only be applied to Origin Industries systems.

As for the Scimitar see my comments about the Fusion reactors, and running them at 200% of rated capacity would cause them to either be turned to slag, or overload and explode.

That's a reasonable exchange. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll make that edit when I get the chance, Nashoba.

Also, Fiver, the Scimitar runs off of an IAPD. Do you remember what the A stands for?

kai said:
That's a reasonable exchange. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll make that edit when I get the chance, Nashoba.

Also, Fiver, the Scimitar runs off of an IAPD. Do you remember what the A stands for?

Oh. Right.

Kai,
I am rejecting the Baby STL Torpedoes as redundant.

What I suggest you do is the following

Rename Baby FTL Torpedoes to just Baby Torpedoes

Then under the Specifications reword to the following:
STL
Range: 100,000 km or less
Speed: .5 c
FTL
Range greater than 100,000 km to 1 AU
Speed: 10c

Edited, and moved the pages, I'm editing my first post in this thread to reflect that there are just Baby Torpedoes, and no difference between the FTL and STL.

Oi-Z3b Streaker Rockets
Rate of Fire and Salvo are not really should not be here as that is a function of the Armor its used in. But the other missiles the OI-M1-1A Ashigaru uses has it so its okay. If it were up to me I would put it on the Ashigaru, and remove it from the various missiles to simplify them.

Please simplify the length of the missile.

unguided,

Can you clarify this? How does it get acquire a target 200 km away on a planet, especially if the armor is on the ground, that's shooting over the horizon. Or does the system require Line of Sight (LOS).

close to a non-friendly object,

How can it tell if an object is friendly or not?

OI-V9-E3101 Sensor Probe

What kind of fuel do they use? I presume this is for in space use. What is the reason for the range of 10 miles. Is it a limitation of the transceiver aboard the probe? After all in space once its moving its going to keep moving.

You're trying to put just about every type of space sensor into this 1x3 drone. I suggest a) select only the ones that would be most useful, b) make the sensors modules that can be installed into the drone prior to launch. So you can make it mission specific.

I'll get on Fiver about fixing the streaker rockets. but it shouldn't be too hard to correct.

I think I meant the Sensors had a range of ten miles. I'll go in and add more stats to the sensor probe, to make it make more sense.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back