• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Osaka's doodling

And finally, the purpose of drawing older/endgame Aiesu -- in order to now determine where her character growth would be going next: I bring you the middle factor of the two: Adolecentsu.​

Sneering

Moderate excitement

Dingus in sight.

Luca's dingus in sight.

Annoyed Luca noticed.

Berating you for the brainless Yamataian imperialist scum you are

"No more photographs, please."​

Ignoring the very nice background, experimenting with overlay layer to apply colored lines rather than strictly black. Works super nice for the sweater. Also repainted a bunch of it.​

Did you train dumont. Dumont hurts me like that.

Somewhere out there, is a moon disconnected by a failed quantum modem, filled with nothing but Aiesu constructs. Millions of replicas them, in hundreds of minor variants of all different ages - aware of what they are, trapped and very very angry.

Aiesu doesn't like herself. Truth be told, she's the most self-loathing character I've ever written. And the place produces new ones, to replace the old ones that die, keeping the population at a consistent number under total automation. Many are even recycled or repurposed.

It exists within a collection of locations codenamed Phantasmagorica of Consortium holdings -- a specific artificial structure called 'The House of Eternity'. Its a self-constructing self-mining self-dictated with the purpose only to make constructs, forever and ever.

The warren is a place Aiesu hopes never ever to visit in person. A prison of the self, full of broken dolls.

A dark thought she pushes to the back of her mind and tries to live with, knowing its out of contact and now without rule.

It must be terrifying.

Let's talk culture.

So when we talk about cultural context, we're talking about the society that characters, mediums, stories and elements live in and how culture affects both those things in question narritively speaking and how people based on those things affect that narrative. Say for example, the physiological reaction or "emotional affect" (not to be confused with emotional effect which details the emotional tone of a response) which could be summarised as the physical feeling you get when you deal with something is in this sense the result of some sort of stimulus -- like when you listen to a song you like and your anxiety is reduced because although you're in an unfamiliar environment you are pavlonian conditioned to find the song in question familiar - which overrules the feeling you have about where you are in space and time.

Anthropologist Edward T. Hall detailed in his 1976 book "Beyond culture" the meaning of 'high and low context culture' -- meaning that the choice in speaking styles of peoples will dictate whether a culture will cator to in-groups (people who are desirable to groups based on specific properties) based on similar experiences and expectations from inferrences are drawn... Or in higher-context culture, which relies on references to be the similar experience and word and word choice become far more important because less words are used to convey a complex idea through references -- basically the transmutation of living ideas or memes.

In this sense, an in-group can effectively communicate to members using less language whereas in a low-context culture, the communicator needs to be much more explicit and the value of a single word to change the tone of an entire unit of communication is much lower.

Well, we live in a world now where the transmission of ideas is infinite, memetics and ideas are cultural currency and we can design our own ingroups around whatever ideas and preferences we want meaning we have ultra-ultra high context culture which in something as simple as "more thrust more speed" convey a really complex idea about simplified attitudes about power and performance being linked to hamfistedness, silliness and the desire to have fun rather than just how thrust and speed as engineering principles correlate to one another.

Well, we now have reference stock culture with the internet, that we can use the context and expectations and known information about an existing thing to infer something about a subject without needing to reproduce it from scratch. This means really complex ideas can be communicated using cultural shorthand.

A good example of this musically would be plunderphonics - any music taken by taking any audio recordings and altering them to create a new composition, a term coined by John Osworld in 1985 in his essay plunderphonics or ; audio piracy as a compositional perogative. In the essay he explained that we would eventually be able to use the act of sampling to create whatever soundscape of context and meaning we wanted and be able to communicate many very very high complexity ideas using short-hands -- a growth of high context culture and a growth of culture as a whole using what were originally thought to be sound collages but now make up the majority of music.

With tools like photoshop entering the hands of the masses and the likes of youtube, this also became a big part of image culture as we experienced in the early 2000's with modern visual meme culture through imageboard culture (which I was lucky enough to be a big part of -- staffing one of the mainstay sites of the movement and as such having to understand the associated copyright laws involved at a basic level)-- which allowed an idea to survive not just through circulation but re-use into new ideas giving the old idea new life whether this was additive to the idea of the original thing or subtractive, by using the source material to ascribe a quality to a new material all together -- a texture, or motif.

A good example of this in recent times is the movement of vaporwave which rather than choosing to hide reference materials and origins wraps and envelops itself in the origin as an affectionate and even loving nod to content origins to use the existing emotional attachment you have to those source materials as a short-hand to gain your emotional investment. This is then woven with many references not usually seen near eachother to create an entirely new context for the samples in question -- many becoming instruments or repurposed in entirely new ways.

This only really gets sticky when you move into the realm of monetization -- where you step up and start saying things like "well, doesn't the artist deserve to be credited and paid for their work?" -- Well, that isn't always obvious or even possible: with the mass redistribution of media online its very common to flat out not know where something came from or even to assume it was created originally for the community you're from and not recontexturalized at all (which is basically what happened here -- I thought it was a comission especially for our little website) so I was pretty shocked to find out it wasn't -- and even moreso to learn it was a painting, not a collage or digital synthesis using fractals or other tricks.

Now what really bakes my noodle (thanks Wachowski brothers) is what happens when you know you're not going to attempt to monetize something in any shape or form and people are still upset about contextualisation.

That really doesn't make sense to me.

I mean, if you want the grandaddy of recontexturalization for a website like this with strong Japanese motifs, just look at the language: Japanese until kana hit the scene in the 1700's basically recontexturalized "Simplified Chinese" Pinyin which you know as kanji -- and without it, Japan would have been basically illiterate with no formalized high context language system with very low compliance to common language infrastructure, axiomonomic exchange and memetic interchange, relying on explicit low basall example the same way the Chinese did until the 1900's.

Oh boy, wouldn't that be something?

Because we all know, everyone who learns Japanese just adores learning kanji and without how awful it was as a foundation, the modern form of kana wouldn't exist and you'd still pronounce てゐ as "tewi" using an obsolete character not as "tei" its modern form.

You could also basically fuck importation, partial substitution, loanwords, loan translation, loan formation, loan rendering,loin coinage and loan axionomic definitionary exchange.

Its exactly the same thing, its just language got there first. Perfect reproduction is of course going to lead to perfect reproductions used by different people in different ways.

But to get snarky, it wasn't a perfect reproduction. In fact, it wasn't even obviously sourced: Googling using google's reverse heuristic search revealed some 210 million pages and the first 5 pages didn't reveal source. Even better and far more exciting, its lack of monetization and the use of recontexturalization means its actually covered under fair-use as an imperfect recreation (with around 80% of the source image cropped and around 50% not matching 'exact pixels' due to editing, layering and masking) and as such isn't an infringement -- and wouldn't be an infringement even if it wasn't masked due to its explicit recontexturalization across media (not just because of valid excuse excluding liability of infringement in this case, as aforementioned) because it passes four factor balancing tests of recontexturalization, granting an exception to exclusive rights -- which when you're getting google hits of 210 million, let's be honest -- you don't have exclusive rights to begin with. This is also important given the effect upon the work's value is negliable and the recontexturalization makes the work useless for its original intended purpose, and its just being used as a memetic shorthand for a concept that's replaceable.

tl;dr:

Its only "ripping something off" when you profit from it or claim it was your own.
I would have thought the fact its the site's background wallpaper would mean we'd have some licence to use it and the source context would have been reaaaaally obvious (to the point where I assumed it wasn't even worth me researching it) but apparently no.

Tyler, you make magic. Keep up the good work my dude.
Moderator in question, study culture and copyright law.

Have a nice album made of literally nothing but recontexturalized samples.

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-18_2-0-21.webp
    59.6 KB · Views: 1

Has anyone ever made a bingo-sheet for you? This is the result of a nice discussion with a friend. I thought I'd post it because it made me laugh enough to want to put it somewhere you guys can see it and the management don't like external image hosting.​

Reactions: raz

A version of Waso that doesn't use Ghost Nebula but instead a bunch of gutted Smithsonian and Hubble (public property) images, combined into a composite and blended with generated fractal functions because I decided to find out what Tyler meant by intelligent fractal functions and it turns out he means pattern-aware logic fills, which I already know how to do.

Waso is a qt. She is scared of cats and birds and is only 13.446 billion years old (plz b kind to her)

She basically exists cuz Mog really likes Isabelle and Mog's going to basic so Mog deserves galactodoggo as good luck.​

Last edited:
A lot of my work can't actually be posted here at the moment due to the rules in place as well as the nature of the work itself and the rules around it (including the lewd thread sadly) but I am still working on stuff.

Right now, configuring the software.

We going places, son​

The Luca Pavone of Herewhere and the first ship not grandfathered from Elsewhere:

"Light, affordable, durable and with reasonable all-round performance characteristics, the Springtail is OneStop's intermediate intersystem spaceharrier. Ideal for delivering people or equipment, it can be thought of as a recreational vehicle with wide capabilities for adaption for a large number of different profiles - made possible with a balanced light reactor and reliable engines as well as aerospace performance in a class of ship usually strictly meant only for spacefaring. Stranger still, the vehicle fits within the legal standards of a road transport vehicle and can actually be driven on public roads in some of its configurations - meaning even if stranded, engines or damaged or simply wishing to conserve fuel, move without requesting air-permission or relocate without being spotted, the Springtail can still operate.

Particularly, the springtail can mount custom armor plating, a wide variety of extension options behind and beneath its hull and features a highly modifiable interior. First time buyers or those able to demonstrate an owner's licence brought from a first-time-buyer recieve discounted repairs and upgrades from OneStop as an affiliate as well as discounted access to public transportation infrastructure such as warp-rails, mass-drivers and space-gates. This makes the Springtail ideal for light businesses.

It is not unusual in many cases for the ship to be rented on credit rather than brought all at once. It is considered an ideal first ship."

At some point will make the model not shitty now I have a machine that can do heavy-lifting like texturing and animation encoding.
Some footage of a few different configurations:
PM for link if curious.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…