Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Senate: Passed [PASSED] 95 - Clarification to Neko Law

Challenge of Bill 95

Bill 95 is currently presented in the current form:

Requirements for obtaining a Nekovalkyrja body:

1. Being a citizen of the Yamatai Star Empire is a prerequisite to use of a Nekovalkyrja body. Any Nekovalkyrja who changes allegiance to another nation must return the Nekovalkyrja body. Failure to do so is a capital offense.

2. A Nekovalkyrja body may obtained by an employee of the Star Army of Yamatai or other government services with approval of the director or manager of such service when use of Nekovalkyrja bodies are justified (e.g. National Police may use Nekovalkyrja bodies because of the chance of combat).

3. Certain models of Nekovalkyrja bodies (such as stealth models), designated by the Star Army of Yamatai, must be relinquished prior to separation from the military.

4. For the purposes of this bill, Nekovalkyrja refers to:

NH-2 series
NH-7 series
NH-17 series
NH-18
NH-22M
NH-27 series
NH-28 series
NH-29 series
NH-33 series, and
Future Nekovalkyrja

I would like to dispute points 1 and 3.

1. Being a citizen of the Yamatai Star Empire is a prerequisite to use of a Nekovalkyrja body. Any Nekovalkyrja who changes allegiance to another nation must return the Nekovalkyrja body. Failure to do so is a capital offense.

I don't expect someone outside the Empire to receive a nekovalkyrja body unless she were born nekovalkyrja youngling. But it makes sense to otherwise not offer it to non-citizens.

Also, the nekovalkyrja as a species is not so exceptional and important that it needs be so stringently enforced to remain within the empire, on pain of death should a nekovalkyrja leave without returning her body. From what I understand, other nations are not very impressed with us or desirous of emulating us.

Fact is that if I had a compelling enough reason to leave, I would not return my body - because it is mine and part of who I am. I would become a criminal in your eyes, be on the run, forever fear Yamatai as an enemy. I would never dare return and consider that place home again.

It is not because you put a law interdicting something that people will not defy it if they feel they have enough on the line to risk it. Is it truly a good idea to force the issue this way?

To me, it seems extremely counter-intuitive on the part of the government. If Yamatai wants to retain her nekovalkyrja, she should take steps in making Yamatai more appealing to the nekovalkyrja than anywhere else. This is positive reinforcement rather than restriction; isn't this what we have tried to reinforce so far with the image of our Empire since Empress Himiko was appointed to the Imperial Throne?

3. Certain models of Nekovalkyrja bodies (such as stealth models), designated by the Star Army of Yamatai, must be relinquished prior to separation from the military.

Also, I view this measure as largely redundant.

Past nekovalkyrja bodies are out of date regarding access to sensitive information to our military networks, and nother nations have analogs to the roles they could play, or the capacity to create thier own equivalents.

In that same vein of thought, the NH-33's features along with any special variant implemented will wear off with time.

Making a big deal about relinquishing when it's not that much worth getting into seems like an excuse of make a big deal of things that, if left alone, would have had sorted themselves out on thier own."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back