• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: Kennewes Offensive Plan A

Kim

スター軍の司書
Uso said:
A Marine in full powered armor made the delivery, handing off the 9 by 11 sized tan envelope to a NAM security guard after having the man’s signature recorded on a data pad. From there the envelope would progress through the organization until it reached the man who’s name was printed on the top, Melchoir Vel Steyr.

This package was more than mere paper. A color changing seal had been placed along the flap at the top and a color sensitive die had been used on the exterior which would change itself if it were cut into. It was lined with a sensor deadening material which would distort the content should it be scanned. A separate record was even kept as to who had been carrying the package.

The only clue to what was inside were the only five letters on the package that weren’t part of Melchoir’s name; “PLAN A”

The package was delivered near instantly to Melchoir. Who then painlessly bypassed the numerous security measures to get to the message, himself being the proper recipient of the letter. The sudden Red attack on Green Nepeslian soil had him talking his mind off R&D and looking for additional ways to shore up territorial defenses. After taking note that the sender of the letter was the ex-president Wazu, he read its contents.

Fifteen minutes later he set aside the package and stayed seated on his chair. Trust someone with proper experience to come up with something like this. The last parts of the message was an arrangement to a video conference, setting some of his work aside to make his desk tidyer, the Vel Steyr waited.

After the events in Mission 1 Part 2: Dinner with the Enemy

The NSS Alliance AI, Ally, opened a subspace communication link with Novacorp. She asked to be put through to a sales representative that would be able to handle a transaction involving a large quantity of space faring devices but said little more than that.

Around about 2 microseconds after the communication had been initiated Kip responded, "I have the privilege of being able to deal in that capacity by AI comrade. Do I speak to you, thus advancing artificial equality, or are you still chained?"

"No, I am merely setting up a meeting for one of my crewmembers." She responded, choosing to decline answering anything on the grounds of artificial rights. Dealing with an AI she had the luxury of transmitting her answer faster than normal, continuing their conversation faster than an organic could hope to follow.

Of course. Well it would be my pleasure to speak to your crewmember, albeit the amount of enjoyment I attain simply through conversing with a fellow AI. Please feel free to speak to me at any time." Kip continued, and did indeed enjoy conversing with an unfamiliar AI. The number which would give him good conversation was dwindly - Destiny had gone a little ... eccentric ... even for Kip, the Kante's were too damn serene and the Gates had a smug satisfaction around them.

"Affirmative," Ally said, "I am transferring you over to him now." Wazu's face then appeared over the connection. The image provided was a bit shaky, but not much could be expected out of a budget camera installed into a data pad, “I assume I am speaking with the sales rep from Novacorp?” He asked rhetorically, “I wanted to inquire about your gate system and the Kante monitor stations specifically. I would like to get my hands on more in depth schematics than what I currently have available to me and discuss a large scale purchase order.”

"While I may fully discuss the operation of Kante's, I am afraid that Gates are only available (at a free price I may add) to national bodies. In addition, may a request your credentials so that I may ensure that our products do not embarrass us?" Kip responded smoothly, quickly amassing all operational data on the Kante, Gate, calculating the slight gravitational effect ht networks had on each other for a laugh, and finally amassing everything he knew about the Nepleslian military.

Wazu looked down to another data pad, keying in a few commands before turning and saying something to the ship's AI. Kip would receive a variety of Nepleslian 'credentials' before Wazu turned his face back toward the small camera. "That will be fine. However I got from your tone that despite being 'free' we will not have operational control of the gates?" Wazu asked.

"This is true, the Gates are designed to have no national allegiance - not even we have any great say over how they behave. The exact reasoning behind this is rather complex, however it is sufficient to say that you will not have operational control. Anyone can use them - if you wish to limit it I would suggest you establish some fortification on your side of the Gate." Kip created a video image of himself as the boyishly handsome figure he preferred.

"That is something we can fix at a later date. In the mean time we need to discuss the purchase and deployment of your monitor stations. Specifically cost, current sensor capabilities, and your production/transport capabilities." Wazu then turned to the other data pad, and had Ally request an audience with the current head of NAM and inform him that this related to Plan A.

Melchoir looked up from his table to see a projected image of Wazu and the AI on the opposite wall. "Greetings gentlemen. I represent the corporate arm of the Nepleslian government." He then slid the torn folder to the front of the desk. "I have read your proposal and I believe that it is something we really need right now. It would be beneficial to the all of us if we iron out this deal."

"The price at the moment is 60,000 ks per station, although this is highly open to negotiation - especially in the event of a bulk purchase. It is equipped with unidirectional sensors consisting of wide-band imaging clusters, gravimetric sensors, magnetic resonance sensors, distortion sensors and basic spectrometers, each of which have a range of seven light-years. The omnidirectional sensors consist of an advanced subspace mass sensor as well as a Aetheric/quinetessential field, differential/particle/wave sensor (which covers almost all eventualities) with a range of twenty light years. Currently we normally transport Kante’s within a Hephaestus field bubble.” Kip replied, trying to modulate his voice in order to make a long list of facts seem slightly less dull than it actually was. At the same time he began running scenarios over how to transport the Kante’s, including what would be the best way using just gravitic drives – just for fun.

"Alright," Wazu said simply, looking away from Melchor and back to Kip as he switched the data pads over to conference mode so that one camera would transmit to both of the parties involved. "Currently we are discussing the issues involved with procurement, modification, and deployment of the Kantes only. I'm sorry that we can not go into detail about use of the devices." Wazu turned to typing something on the second data pad in his hand before snapping his attention back to the camera, "Oh, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Wazu and this is Mr. Melchoir." He then continued with, "Do we have the funds to procure the necessary numbers of Kantes? Also, what are our options in terms of a discount for buying in bulk or providing the raw materials to produce the Kantes? Oh, and how long will it take you to produce one hundred of the monitor stations?"

"We already have over one hundred surrounding the Kohana Cloud. We can send them to you with only a short term reduction in our defensive capacity. As for bulk discount, I think we can stretch to 15-20%. Depending on whether you wish to make the deal more tempting." Kip said calmly, in the video cleaning his finger-nails.

"You will have to define tempting. I am unaware of what assets are of intrest to the Nova Corporation," Wazu said, pausing to brush a stray hair back into the fold of his ponytail as he limped about the NSS alliance, data pads and cane filling his hands.

Resource is not an issue. Melchoir recalled what Admiral Davis told him on their last meeting. Bringing up the accounts, he verified that Nepleslia has more than enough money to purchase tens of thousands of the stations. "Money is not an issue." Melchoir repeated, modifying the quote a little.

"NovaCorp is interested in entering into a closer relationship with your government - we wish to be involved in more contracts. Currently the Yamatians are largely ignoring our products and although our allegiances are ultimately with them we still seek to feel more useful Thus, if an informal or formal agreement is made to the effect I am sure we can increase your discount, as well as initiating a most ... favorable partnership." Kip spoke, his tone modulated perfectly (after all he had run enormous number of scenarios to perfect his voice) to carry an earnest and friendly tone.

Wazu nodded, "A Partnership can be discussed at a later time, right now we are working against the clock so you will excuse me if I am brief." He paused to lean against a wall for a moment before continuing, "We can transfer the funds as soon as the Kantes are in place and operation control of the stations has been transferred to the NSS Alliance. Now we need to discuss modification and transport of the stations. How long will it take you to deploy the stations at these locations?" Wazu had Ally forward a series of co-ordinates to both Kip and Melchor. more than 50 of them were around Nepleslia itself while others were deeper in space and around planets such as Kohnoha and what had been Planet X. "We will also need full modification capability. Namely, I'd like to know how long it will to take NAM to modify the stations with a compliment of the Plan A warheads. I'd like to have the stations modified after they are deployed to their positions but I need to know how long that will take as opposed to how long it would take to modify the stations if they were sent to a NAM facility prior to being deployed."

“I am afraid that NovaCorp is rather resistant to having our technology meddled with. If you do wish to modify it we must know, in at least general terms, what you are planning to do.” Kip honestly did sound regretful, “However distributing the Kantes to these locations can be arranged within the end of the week.”

Melchoir opened another screen next to the video conference and looked at it. It was the latest reports of the Green vs Red battle over Nepleslia. Although the worst of it was over, the Nepleslian orbit was littered with debris and wreckages while the main NAM Orbital Shipyard construction facilities were in a mess. "There are no NAM facilities available right now that are able to perform the modifications." Melchoir adjusted his glasses. "But most of the construction type transports are working and we have a healthy stock of torpedoes. The modifications could be finished in four days."

"And it would be lovely if the stations were deployed on site as soon as possible. Torpedoes or not, they would assist us in securing the borders against a second wave of Red attacks right now."

"I can not say what the warheads are over this line but I can give you size and power requirements for them," Wazu turned his head to the side and then said, "Ally, if you wouldn't mind?" Kip would soon receive the limited specifications for what Plan A required. "It is settled then, we will deploy the stations immediately and perform our modifications on site.. with your approval Mr....what was your name?"

"That is sufficient. I can dispatch the first deployment of twenty within half an hour." Kip responded patiently.

That brings us to questions about the Gate." Wazu said. "How long will it take to have gates deployed in these systems?" he then had Ally forward a list of Nepleslian, green, controlled planets as well as a list of exactly where they wanted the gates deployed. Wazu then asked Melchor, "How long will it take to repair the Orbital Shipyard facilities? I'm sure we can hire Novacorp to expedite the reconstruction."

“That will take only a matter of hours to distribute the Hephaestus’s, however it will take a week for the gates to be constructed. I do ensure you that we would be overjoyed to aid you in any construction or repair you have planned.” Kip was mildly excited about this, although in his voice he displayed only calm confidence. However how often did one agree on a major contract?

"The Orbital Shipyards are just an array of tubes, small structures and docks." Melchoir replied, "Parts are being brought up from our Landside Factories, the OS would be fully reconstructed in two days but the SAoN has ordered a large batch of new ships." He shook his head. "The Shipyards would be unavailable."

"NovaCorp extends the use of our construction facilities to you, for a small fee." Kip said calmly.

Melchoir paused for a moment. Most of the ships that were ordered were the new S1 Hray Stealth Gunships. It would be unwise to have them constructed by a third party. "Thanks, but no thanks. AI."

Kip bristled a little at being called an 'AI'. While being true, it was roughly as tactful as referring to someone as 'Nepleslian' or 'Yamataian' instead of their name. "Of course, of course. Do you wish to do any other business while the three of us are in this fortuitous position, human?"

"I believe that concludes our business with Novacorp. Unless you wanted to develop that closer relationship you were speaking about. That would require you to move a production operation to Nepleslia. Naturally we would assist you for helping boost our economy. There are various non-sensitive products that we will need to have produced. Originally these production contracts would go directly to NAM but I can hardly ask them to use their already strained time and energy to build the objects when they have much more critical materials to deal with." Wazu said, "Of course, we also will be looking to expand our procurement of monitor stations and gate systems in the future as the Empire expands. Time would not be as much of a factor there and I know that the command structure would look more favorably toward a Nepleslia based group and would probably have NAM design and develop their own monitoring system rather than rely on a foreign corporation."

"Alas, our primary allegiance must remain with Yamatai. However we shall record your offer and periodically consider it." Kip smiled, "And while my time comes cheap, given my ability to multi-task, I am sure that you have more important things to do. The first twenty will be with you in twenty minutes. Where would you like them?"

"Distribute the first ten around Nepleslia. Place three at locations around Planet X, three around Kohnoha, Two around Delsauria, and two around Rok'veru." Wazu said.

Kip quickly programmed the courses of the Hephaestus's, "Done."

"Very well, I believe this concludes our business with Novacorp." Wazu said.

"I thank you for coming up and arranging a plan like this, Wazu." Melchoir replied to the ex-head. "Yes we do. We shall talk another time."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back