• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Power armor ideas.

here is an image i found online. Ignoreing the text what does everyone think about the kind of concept shown.

It appears to be a more realistic power armor. Reminds me of something you would see in a command and conquer game or the mecha from the "Second renisance" episode in the AniMatrix.

https://stararmy.com/starchan/starships/src/1176269331611.jpg

That's not a bad parallel. I always thought of the PHALANX as a big heavy myself but in my mind they took the form of the old armor suits the AD Police had in Bubblegum Crisis.

Oh, the K-12 suits were how I imagined the Kylie... until Wes told me how form hugging KFY armors were.

That's actually pretty cool. Certainly different from the common conception of a power armour. It reminds me of something I can't ... quite ... put my finger on.

Looks like a perfectly servicable armour to me. SAoY armours and a lot of others appear to be much more form hugging than that, but not all of them. Not quite my taste in design but it's certainly a nice piece of tech.

Stylish maybe, but not to practical. The armor doesn't cover the joints well and the weapon selection seems to be limited by design. Size is also a bit of an issue because this is a good foot or three taller than a person would stand based on the text so it will run into problems with things like doors.

It's certainly a change from what we generally imagine when it comes to power armors. But I imagine that it would run into many problems based solely upon the bulkiness of its design. The form-fitting power armors are just generally more practical and can be more easily standardized.

Tesuro said:
It's certainly a change from what we generally imagine when it comes to power armors. But I imagine that it would run into many problems based solely upon the bulkiness of its design. The form-fitting power armors are just generally more practical and can be more easily standardized.

Form fitting armor IMHO is a BAD idea.

Mostly because the cost and material efficancy would have to be too great to make it work in mass production. Also if ANYTHING penatrates a form fitted armor guess what is on the other side of it... yes that's right You. Having a larger area that something can be hit in and more space for the armor to absorb impact would make better sence.

Also joints need to be able to move freely, applying plates directly ontop of them seriously hinders their operation. Also hitting those joints effectively would be almost impossible in a combat situation.

As for doors.. Real mecha dont use doors... they make their own.

On limited weapons, you could just as easily mount a different kind of weapon arm on the right side like a hardpoint. Who ever said the thing had to have hands to hold a gun.

Seriously not everything has to be a bubblegum crisis hardsuit. I think i am going to make a power armor drawing while i am on my little mecha kick. and no it's not going to be a "Pretty, girly, armored flightsuit" looking one ither.

Well you do have a point there, but I still think that for many combat situations form-fitting power armor fills the niche just a bit better. It's true that relatively speaking there isn't much protection between you and your enemy's attacks, and should it pierce through the armor it is going to hit you...but using that logic one could assume that if the same hit were delivered to a bulkier power armor/mecha not only would it be more likely to hit (because of the increased size and decreased overall manueverability), but the disability caused by the hit would more than likely put you into a position to be slain regardless. Personally I'd rather have complete control over my power armor than have to base my movements to compensate for the extra space that comes with a larger mecha.

Tesuro said:
Well you do have a point there, but I still think that for many combat situations form-fitting power armor fills the niche just a bit better. It's true that relatively speaking there isn't much protection between you and your enemy's attacks, and should it pierce through the armor it is going to hit you...but using that logic one could assume that if the same hit were delivered to a bulkier power armor/mecha not only would it be more likely to hit (because of the increased size and decreased overall manueverability), but the disability caused by the hit would more than likely put you into a position to be slain regardless. Personally I'd rather have complete control over my power armor than have to base my movements to compensate for the extra space that comes with a larger mecha.

While the concept of being a small a target as possible is great in theory, it sounds like you're thinking of it in terms of a roelplay system; -2 defense points for +2 agility. However, in terms of engineering it isn't always a flat tit-for-tat system. Take, for example, modern tank warfare.

Recently has there been a move from big 70+ ton main battle tanks to higher speed armored fighting vehicles, because the one-hit kill range of the modern tank is beginning to reach several kilometers in distance. But, before armored warfare reached these extreme ranges the MBT was the mainstay of armored warfare. Why? Simply because in combat (extreme range sniping aside) the defense bonus of armor was exponentially better than the slight speed bonus of removing it. Given that SARP alloys are supposedly "stronger" than modern alloys (more defense for the same mass), it's fair to assume that the armor vs speed argument tilts in favor of heavier armor rather than speed. The only exception would against armor-ignoring DR10 weapons like Aether -- in which case armor is completely useless, so it's probably better to go without armor to maximize speed.

Back to the point of close fitting armor: don't forget the pilot. If you're wearing skin-tight armor and your plating gets dented inward even a few degrees your limbs will be crushed, broken, and probably pinned -- if you're lucky enough not to get killed. If a component begins to overheat, it's in immediate proximity to your body -- you'll get (partially) cooked alive. And so on. There is no spacing, therefore no damage control or tolerance. Even minor damage can have a much more massive effect, because the weaker human component will still be in immediate contact with damage, regardless of how strong an alloy you use.

Heh, another good and reasonable point. I guess I don't know enough about the full workings of SARP technology to be able to argue it effectively :p Still I wouldn't go so far as to say that either a form-fitting power armor or a bulky mecha are totally useless. As stated, if the enemy is using Aether-based weapons or something similiar, if you get hit--you're dead. In that particular case it would be more beneficial to be able move more swiftly and therefore a form-fitting power armor would probably be more beneficial. For other forms of combat, caking on the armor would prove a more fruitful effort.

I guess it really just depends on the situation. Stock both and be prepared.

because of the increased size and decreased overall manueverability

A larger armor doesn't nessesarily have to be a heavier armor.
It's also capable of carrying a vastly more capable maneuvering system, be it thruster or graviton based.

The only reason the Mindy/Yamatai's girly flimsy crisis suits work is because they some how cram the same technology used on warships into their tiny frames.

It would make sense if Neko had surgery so the parts had room to work and slide into place but in something thinner than an inch all around, I'd be damned if you could fit in a reactor and a capable combat communications system alongside your regular strength enhancing and armor systems.

Let alone a flight system which can supposidly "accelerate at an infinitely high speed" which nobody uses anyway.

A heavier power-armor would probably make mince-meat of everything in the setting if the allocation of components were equal and it had a counter-measure for one-hit-wonder weapons employed in most SA armors.

But that might lead to a heavy-armor operations arms-race which Yamatai wouldn't be capable of effectively fielding without some serious changes because it's resources are so forced into a small number of key technologies rather than a broad comfortable range.

That and the GMs would whine that their players didn't feel invincible anymore. Especially on the Sakura. Probably. >.>

Must I mention to you again that lighter suits carry certain inherent advantages, Osaka? If you remember, you mentioned that the Nu Gundam was incomplete and was theoretically less manouverable than Sazabi. But I pointed out that Sazabi, being the huge and heavy bastard it is, would require more power to have the same level of manouverability of the Nu; thus making it more expensive.

The same thing applies to Zeon suits versus Federation suits - the Gelgoog, for example, is equal to the Gundam in performance, but has far more mass than the Gundam. If the Zekes used a smaller frame like the Fed suits, the Gelgoog would be cheaper because there wouldn't have to be as much power in the engines. (Whether that would have won the war for the Zeon is another matter entirely.)

In any case, the point is that heavier suits require higher output engines. The concern is somewhat reduced due to the lack of gravity in space, but just because there are no weight concerns doesn't mean there are no mass concerns. (A distinction that the Imperial measurement system has trouble making.)

Anyway, Yamatai's armors wouldn't be nearly as bad if their capabilities were all more in line with, say, the Daisy or the NAM armors. And if I may say so, I often hear Wes bitching about Sourcian overpoweredness (although that might just be 'pissing in the sandbox' syndrome, since we somewhat break the 'no one better than Yamatai' rule).

...did I even make a coherent point here? *shrugs*

Oh, yeah, that's Flyingdebris' work.

He's at flyingdebris.deviantart.com.
I had him draw me a Battletech Uller for me.

How much did you pay for the 'Mech*? If it's cheap, we might get a few good comissions out of this guy.

* As any nerd knows, calling a Battlemech just a "Mech" is the incorrect usage of the term. It's always "'Mech". Largely because BattleTech fans are elitists. (What few of them there are, anyway.)

Yeah, Mr. Ewell's work costs $150 a pop (please donate to stararmy!) so if flying desbris can hook us up for something more affordable I'd definately like to commission him - I sent him a note asking for prices.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back