• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Power Pack Armor Resubmission

Zack

Inactive Member
Submission Type: Power Armor (sorta)
Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=faction:uso:packpowerarmor

Faction: USO
FM Approved Yet? Yes
Faction requires art? Yes

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? (Yes/No)
Contains New art? (Yes/No)
Previously Submitted? (Yes/No; explain reason if rejected)

Notes:
So this was previously rejected despite similar submissions already existing, so lets bring this submission exactly in line with what was requested through malicious compliance!

Wes said:
I don't think personnel-scale items should be emitting armor-scale shields. But a 5 SP (personnel) shield is fine.

Shield is set to PDR 5.

Wes said:
Let's go with Tier 3 and no side effects, alright?

The device is classified as Tier 3!

Fred said:
In DRv2, that would equate to 5SP. The data on the DRv2 page supports this claim: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=guide:damage_rating_v2

The device itself has had its SP value buff'd to 5ADR!

It's not (as in, Raz is right). PDR1 would do nothing. PDR5 might require 8 hits on account of it being potent enough to count as an ADR1 weapon, and thus causing damage to something on the armor scale.

Regarding that example that is being bandied about... it means it has 8 SP and is Armor grade. Perhaps I should remind people I actually created DRv2? Don't rule-lawyer me on my own system. Even if I think hit points are kind of crap nowadays. >_>

So, regarding what I was asking Zack, I was saying "say we're being nice and actually assuming the pack is worth 5SP and its resilience is on the armor scale (meaning PDR5 weapons or better hurt it), I was asking Zack "hey, is it made of durandium? If so, please apply the modifier to the SP". Because with 5 SP on the armor grade, you're litterally equivalent to where an Harpy could be. I'm pretty sure it takes an Harpy - as brittle as it is - more killing than a pack like this would.

Also, Zack, choose Bubble, or Conformal, but you don't get to have 2-facings on something that's barely a power armor and much less a tank/shuttle. That's the last time I'll ask.

It's not the operational assumption. Listed along with the SP chart is a paragraph that explains that things can generally take 5 hits from something on their level before they're rendered inoperable. SP is not actually 'hp'. It's more like a numerical representation of 'hardness'. It's also worth noting that the NSP in heavy is listed as PDR5 weapon. However we know this weapon can do damage to power armors. If we read it Zack's way, it wouldn't be able to.

@Fred you didn't clarify though. Are SP on the same 'scale' up through Personnel and Armor grades? Or is Armor SP on a different scale. Since you made it I think a clear ruling on that'll be useful.

Because with 5 SP on the armor grade, you're litterally equivalent to where an Harpy could be.
This is true. Admittedly, I can see an argument that talks about how "but it's just a backpack so it won't protect you in the same way as a full armor!" but that's not really how it works. As in, I'm not sure that a backpack could take as much punishment as a whole light suit. Maybe something like 1 or 2 Mech Scale SP would be more appropriate.
Raz is right
Gonna frame this and put it on my wall.

Fred did clarify when he said that an armour unit with 8 SP could take 8 hits from a PDR 5 weapon. The guide is ambiguous, but apparently reading it was never the best way to understand it.

As I mentioned in the last submission, I think this should not be a conformal barrier, because it's designed to be used by any creature using any equipment, regardless of body plan and limb configuration. If it's no problem for the barrier to adapt to this on the fly, not only is that some fancy tech that seems out of place, it also makes me wonder why anyone would use a bubble for anything other than defending an area.

I still don't know why a backpack needs to be able to survive getting hit by an RPG.

Last edited:
I misinterpreted Fred's post, so I deleted my previous post.

---

My point about SP value is that items like this don't have a base SP value on account of anything. A starship may have had a base value based on size that then gets adjusted for other reasons but armor scale stuff doesn't. The point being you can really just skip right to the end and make a judgement call on how much SP value the thing should have.

Remember this is only 5 Armor Scale SP because Fred asked for it to be set to 5 Armor Scale SP.

Now Fred is asking me to set it back to its original values, which originally were grounds for rejection.

---

So here are the changes:

At Fred's request, the armor has been set back to ADR 3 (which he originally rejected)

The DVR3 rules have been updated to include the quote from Fred regarding only mecha scale (and larger) being able to have 2 facing shields.

DVR3 Shield Type for this item has been changed to bubble.

*facepalm*

@Doshii Jun edited the article and apparently that part that I remembered writing got rubbed out. Earlier versions talked of the Fore/Aft barriers so:
A more powerful barrier bubble, it has emitters handling the forward and aft hemispheres of the barrier bubble separately - each facing has its own 100% energy reserve. These double-facing barriers are more common on fightercraft and small starships.

Sorry Zack. I can see how you might have seen the absence and gone on your "that wasn't specified so I should be able to do it".

As for grounds for rejection, remember that I only just realized that your '3 SP - armor grade' (ADR should just be used with weapons >_>; ) was regarding the toughness of the Pack itself. I thought it was you trying to get your 'barrier' in the armor grade even after Wes had told you not to.

Regardless, this meets most of my criteria and it's time to get this over with.

Approved.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back