• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Kaiyō Pre-Mission Three: A Friendly Match

Status
Not open for further replies.

forumlurker

Inactive Member
YSS Kaiyō
Recreation Area
19日 1月 YE 39
0900 Hours

The recreation room was lit well, so muchso that those gathered in it could see every nook and crevice of their soon-to-be opponents. Wings twitched and readied themselves in anticipation while the less feathered friends that were gathered stretched their legs and arms. The MEGAMI, Boss, asked the portion of the crew of the Kaiyō that were in thr recreation room a question.

"Who would like to go first?" Boss asked in a lilting voice.

Meissa calmly walked up to the mat. "Well, who else did you expect? I'll go." She fully extended and stretched her glorious owl wings to their full length, giving herself a nice pre-fight stretch. She took a swig from her canteen, and began her combat meditation.
"Who will be Nito Hei Meissa Nashira's sparring partner?" Boss asked the group. Meissa leaned against a wall as her eyes flicked across her crew's faces. Who would be the brave challenger to go up against the one who defeated a Neko in a fistfight?

Carter walked over. "I'll give it a shot." he said with a grin, already removing his NSP holster

Meissa tilted her head. This'll be a pretty fun bout. She waited for...a countdown or something, she guessed. But she scanned Carter up and down for any form of dirty trick he could pull, ignoring the countdown.

Carter recognized the distrusting expression, widening his grin and holding his arms out in an open, trusing gesture. "Aw, c'mon. You think I'm gonna tase you or something?" He appeared to be wearing his normal work uniform, the only other items on his body being the toolbelt containing a datapad and dormant drone, which he removed along with his holster. He set his gear aside, and backed into the open sparring floor, stretching his arms and breathing deeply. He settled down into a fighting stance-- too generic for Meissa to pick out as unique to any particular martial art that she's familiar with.

Typical. Just about what Meissa expected. Still, Meissa knew Carter was a sly one. He'd try his best to exploit every opening, take every advantage. His implant probably could let him figure out things about her quicker.

She shouldn't let this last long. Luckily, she wasn't planning on letting it last any length.

"Go ahead and begin on my count of san," Boss said to Meissa and Carter. "Ichi! Ni! San! Hajime!"

Carter watched Meissa closely. Meissa had guessed correctly; his cybernetic eye had already begun examining her, picking up and accentuating details. He'd seen her practicing in the rec area several times since the voyage began, but had never payed close attention before with the intent of analyzing weaknesses. He knew that time was of the essence.

Meissa leapt forward, lashing out with swift strikes to overpower Carter's defense quickly. Her advantage was her physique. She intended to play this advantage very well.

In the first few moments of combat it was obvious to Meissa that Carter was fighting defensively. He carefully maneuvered backwards and around, attempting to keep himself away from the walls and get Meissa to overextend herself. His defense was simple, but effective. Blows that were on a direct course for Carter were answered by quick flicks of his forearms, deflecting the force of the blow down his arm as he backed away. In the first several seconds of the combat he made no real attempt at offense, he feinted with a few rapid jabs to dissuade Meissa's incredibly aggressive offense, but was extremely careful about opening any portion of his defenses. His arms were... odd. It didn't feel to Meissa like striking flesh. Each time he blocked a strike it reminded her of her training, kicking wooden beams. He didn't seem to show any reaction to the force she put into strikes that hit his arms.

Meissa noted the odd fact. He was, most definitely analyzing exactly what Meissa was doing, every hit from her was being calculated in that implant of his.

Sometimes it felt like almost every crew member on the ship had some gimmick about them. Except for her. Of course, she made it up in the art of, well...you know.

Meissa decided to take a gamble. She "accidentally" made a mistake in her footwork and slipped a little during one of her advances towards Carter. There! See how that fares for you, tin-brain!

When the perceived fumble arrived, Carter had a split second decision to make. It was inconsistent, and the look on Meissa's face didn't indicate a fumble... But that was probably just discipline. This was the opening he'd been waiting for. He started to commit, shifting his footing slightly for a jackhammer blow from his left hand, but changed his mind, pulling the jab at the last second, sidestepping to the right, and letting loose a powerful right cross aimed at the side of Meissa's jaw, just below her ear.

There it was. Biological minds were still biological minds, after all. Meissa's foot kept slipping back as she swept beneath the right cross. Her other leg burst with force as she leapt into the air and corkscrewed up in a powerful roundhouse kick straight towards his side.

Carter had very little time to react, although a response had already sprung to the forefront of his mind. He pulled his right hand back, bent his left knee, and gritted his teeth with the searing pain of Meissa's foot impacting his side. Before she could drop the foot, he dropped his right hand down, and, crouching slightly to give himself enough leverage, slammed his left palm into Meissa's kneecap, right hand catching her heel in order to force her knee to bear the entire brunt of the attack.

Meissa bent her knee, allowing the shock of the blow to be absorbed.

Carter quickly released Meissa's leg after the hit, backing away and resuming his previous defensive position.

"Augments and implants. Friggen' everywhere, aren't they?" Meissa snorted. She shouldn't have expected any more or less. She knew that kind of trick wouldn't work a second time.

Lucky for her, augments did not include the power of wings and whatnot as she closed into Carter's defensive position with a powerful gust propelling her forward, still striking out at Carter, forcing his defensive stance to, well, not be so defensive.

As Meissa launched herself forward, Carter leaped to his right, rolling out of the way of the charge and ending up on his feat again in the space of a second. "Not really, lucky for you." He replied, still keeping his distance after the roll.

Meissa twisted herself around and used her wings to redirect her momentum straight for Carter. "Arms still count."

In a sudden change of tactics, Carter lunged forward, crouching low, and colliding with Meissa's charge. He holds his left arm up to make it difficult for Meissa to use her own arms in retaliation, and, locking his cybernetic fingers straight out, repeatedly drove his right hand up and painfully into Meissa's solar plexus in rigid knife hand strikes, punctuating his reply, "Arms- aren't- 'everywhere.'"

Before Carter could jam his hand into her head, however, Meissa whipped her head forwards and smacked Carter right on the top of the head in a nasty headbutt. "And that's your problem!"

Carter grunted as the headbutt connected, and responded by turning his next jab into an uppercut, catching Meissa square in the face. He then backed off, resuming his earlier defensive stance.

"Two hits to one, and if this was a typical tournament I'd win this round. Sadly this is not a tournament, unless you just wanna call it here." Meissa leapt off of Carter and slid backwards a little, also adopting a stance, except it appeared quite offensive as she leaned forward on the balls of her feet.

"Oh? I counted at least three jabs there." And he's right. Meissa had to be feeling the blows to her midsection, even if she didn't show it. Meanwhile, Carter began to circle Meissa, grinning through the lingering pain of her hits. "I guess it depends. You sure look ready to keep going."

"No, I'm actually ready to just call it here. Unless you want to go to a knockout, which would certainly get us yelled at by the medic." She rolled her feet back, into a defensive stance as she bird-hopped away from Carter's prowling.

"Good point." He cautiously extended his right hand, easing out of the fighting stance, still several meters away from the Elysian. "Draw?"
"Sure. Why not." Meissa seemed to not want to pull anything dirty as she exited her fighting stance.

Carter took a step forward, still holding out his hand. "You're good."
"Thanks." Meissa replied. "Sometimes I feel like I'm too much of a glutton for a hard fight, challenging augmented people, Nekos, what-have-you."

"To be fair," came the technician's response "I challenged you."
"I agreed to the challenge and that's what counts." Meissa straightened up as well and took a long gulp from a bottle filled with...a murky brown fluid.

"Would you be up for a rematch later? I'd like to learn a bit more technique, and you seem like a good person to teach me." Carter said as he walked back over to his toolbelt and holster, rubbing the top of his head.

"Yeah, in the spare time we get on this ship, sure." She finished off the weird fluid and chucked the bottle into the trash.

"That was a very good fight," Boss said to them. "Very good, indeed. Your statistical range of motion and ability, not to mention agility, are highly present in the both of you."

"Thanks, Boss." Meissa replied.

Carter simply chuckled, and walked away. He'd gained more than just a few bruises today, and he couldn't wait to see what would happen next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back