• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Problem with SAoY Pay Scales

Drake Starblade

Inactive Member
I find the current payment plan REALLY annoying. I mean, come on, the new people like me spend a bunch of money on stuff for their characters and then they get no pay until they get promoted. Does the army really not pay there basic novice soldiers? Look at my guy. He spent all his money on a golden gun and a dress uniform and now he only has 900ks until he gets promoted.

Dude, s'alright.

You're Ittô Hei on board rank. You'll probably get promoted pretty soon then, y'know? The monies will then flow.

At least you don't have bills to pay. That sucks, lemme tell ya.

Seriously though. You'll get bumped, to Jotô Hei or something. Then you're making 100 KS/wk. That's not too bad. On top of that . . . what do you need to buy in the beginning? Your issued stuff works, right? And that's all free.

But my character could really use an airbike or something cool. So I sympathize.

It should be admitted, however, that a KS seems to be worth a lot. Like more than a British pound.

I had read that a KS is worth the approxomation of an American Dollar. Last time I looked the British Pound had the 1up on the dollar. Maybe it changed?

I also looked at the pay ratings and noticed that a Jôtô Heisho gets a higher pay than a Midshipman and is on par with a Shoi. Also a Ittô Juni gets higher pay than Midshipmen, Shoi, Chui, Taii, and is on par with a Shosa.

Maybe there is something I'm not getting here, but it seems that higher ranking Officers are getting less pay than Warrant Officers and some Enlisted Soldiers. Am I getting confused here somewhere?

yeah, sorry i got a little annoyed, but you would kind of to if your on almost every day and your character doesnt even get payed anything. and Im willing to earn a promotion, not be given one. Im just saying that there should be some small pay for lower rank soldiers.

I'm not a mod, of course. But I'm always up for research.

So lessee. For the superior soldiers, seems that after about a month in, you get that rank. Midshipman is an entry-level rank, but Shoi is not. However, you could get bumped to it in the same amount of time. The commanders determine this, of course. So superior soldier's a rank you earn, to some extent.

Now for the warrant officers. By crew roster, we have one warrant officer per ship. That alone says the position isn't easy to obtain, so it might deserve some extra money. Along with that, midshipmen are cadets. Would you still pay them more than a warrant officer that's been in the service for a while? Me, I dunno, but that's an argument.

The Sakura's WO was appointed to said position.
The Celia's was promoted from Nitô Heishô, but she's a medical officer (and discharged).
Another former WO was an NPC and got axed anyway.
The 5th's doesn't have a promotion logged, but the bio says he started as rank "Juni." He's still about, but in what capacity, I don't know. His board rank is Taii, so I'm wondering where the promotion is.
Last, the Mikomi's in 4th fleet, and doesn't have WOs directly. Regardless, the Mikomi has none.

Again, I'm taking this as Juni is a harder rank to get, and is awarded to those who ask for it (but have the time put in). The Juni on the Sakura, for instance, is a bodyguard for a Taisa. That's something.

So, maybe that justifies the pay scale some? But I do agree, entry-level soldiers should get paid something. I guess the starting bonus is what that is.

Ah thanks Doshii, that clears that up. I looked up what professional soldiers get as an average payment. I found this; "The starting base pay for a private in the U.S. Army is around $15,000 a year with additional allowances for clothing, housing, and subsistence." With 53 weeks a year thats about $283 a week. Unless my math is off, which is likely.

1) Why should new recruits get paid? Many of them drop out anyway, and the position isn't a permanent one. So long as you post every so often on the board, you pretty much KNOW your character will be promoted by Star Army Personnel Management or the ship CO whenever you complete your next mission (and get a service award).

2) Besides, on a Star Army ship, there's no money needed for housing, utilities, internet, food, or standard weaponry and clothing. Is there really anything that a soldier needs in their quarters or on their person that isn't provided? If you buy something that can't fit on your character's person or in his quarters, it'll have to sit in storage somewhere, anyway. There's only so much a man can carry.

3) Certain fleets don't pay ANY of their soldiers, officers and enlisted, or only pay those who opt for a salary. The prestige system, in use for those who don't get paid, is an unofficial system that allows unpaid Star Army soldiers to request for anything reasonable they think they should have or deserve. Usually, the Star Army will give it to them, too. This could be anything from a pad of note paper to a spacecraft. Note that a lot of Yamataian civilian jobs don't pay salaries either--it's not unusual to work for a lifestyle instead of money, especially if you're employed by one of the wealthy clans like the Ketsurui.

jeez, wes is just to good at this for the opposition to make a point without looking foolish. Case Resigned, point taken, and I will never challenge Wes again, unless i am sure it is the right thing to do.

1) Dammit. I forgot to make that point.

2) Oh yeah. Makes sense.

3) Ahhhh, I see. Prestige! Makes sense too.

What I would comment on is there is not yet any provison for pensions that I have seen. Both the army and the civil service tend to operate under the system (at least in Britain), that you're given an impossibly tough job, little pay, but after you retire you get a very good pension.

Zakalwe said:
What I would comment on is there is not yet any provison for pensions that I have seen. Both the army and the civil service tend to operate under the system (at least in Britain), that you're given an impossibly tough job, little pay, but after you retire you get a very good pension.
Any character to stay in the Star Army of Yamatai for over 16 years is eligible for retirement with full salary, or using the prestige system as if the character was still in active service. These benefits last indefinately, unless the Star Army needs the character to come back (perhaps to train new soldiers) and the retiree refuses.

See: http://www.stararmy.com/org/stararmy/military_law.html

The prestige system is very cool, thanks for clearing all of that up. I hadnt even thought of pensions, man next time I need to research more before I say anything.

Rudy, if you have something specific in mind that you want to acquire for your character, request for it either in your orders thread or just PM me. Most reasonable requests will be granted. (Hint: the item should probably be able to fit into his room with space to spare.)

Yangfan said:
request for it either in your orders thread or just PM me. (Hint: the item should probably be able to fit into his room with space to spare.)

I want to request a pinball machine... the Adams family one. And maybe a tanning bed with plenty of that stuff you use so you can't get tan lines from the bed. :lol:

Most characters have to keep track of there own funds IE once a week has past RP wise that is when you add the weeks pay for him. Weeks pay can very from time to time I think depending on how long it takes for that RP to move a week. Unless it's done by board weeks and if that's so I should update @_@

Kayto Styles said:
I want to request a pinball machine... the Adams family one. And maybe a tanning bed with plenty of that stuff you use so you can't get tan lines from the bed.

Kayto Styles said:
Most characters have to keep track of there own funds IE once a week has past RP wise that is when you add the weeks pay for him. Weeks pay can very from time to time I think depending on how long it takes for that RP to move a week. Unless it's done by board weeks and if that's so I should update @_@
It's per OOC week (to keep things simple).

Kayto Styles said:
I want to request a pinball machine... the Adams family one. And maybe a tanning bed with plenty of that stuff you use so you can't get tan lines from the bed.

Pinball machine: We couldn't locate the "Adams" franchise in the Imperial archives. Would you like a "Star Army Cadet" one instead?

Tanning bed: Denied. Sorry. It's an UV radiation hazard.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back