• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

RP: YSS Miharu Prologue, Day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Not anytime soon, seeing that the ship just made her maiden flight and is to start on its first assignment." Kotori refrained from raising an eyebrow - from the way Mizuho spoke, she sounded fond of alcohol (while Kotori never grew to even like sake). "Tom, our chef, has a few bottles though. You might be able to convince him to part with some."

Nyton had listened and filed Leutre's reasoning for his actions in his memory files. He wondered how this man had even gotten through basic military training with the way he carried himself. He should have at least known the reason there is protocol in the military. "If you really are afraid of Ketsurui Taii so much then maybe you should just apply yourself to doing the basic protocols so you won't have to worry about her." Nyton then closed in and spoke in a low hushed tone. "After we finish up in here I want to talk to you in private."

Nyton then walked over to Yukari to see the box that Saito was carrying over to her. "Personalized communicators for everyone?" he asked, curious over the contents of the box.

Leutre crossed his arms and huffed angrily. "Abyss take me, there's just no winning with you lot!" His frown quickly turned into a smile as he let out a chuckle. "I've neither the patience nor the firepower to quarrel with the whole crew. I'll guess I have no choice but to give it a go." He pondered what they had said. Maybe Masako, Tom, and Nyton have a point, he thought. I haven't even been trying to be agreeable. A little effort now and again isn't going to kill me.

Kotori peered at Mizuho a moment as the other soaked the hope of alcohol being on the ship and getting her hands on it. She allowed herself a small smile and stood up. "Well, I have a presentation to prepare. If you will excuse me."

Kotori crossed the portal of the room and gave a sigh once the close clicked to a close. She couldn't help stopping and just standing there for a moment longer, lightly biting her lower lip. I just promised someone I would kill her if she served me the way I wanted her to... and she said it was 'workable'.

The neko took a deep, steadying breath and turned to head to her room. There was no use dwelling on it for now; she had a great many other things to ponder on.

I think I'm going to regret this, but there's no going back anymore.

Yukari called everyone over to her after she received the box from Miyoko. She then took one out and presented it rather quickly, knowing she was short on time. She made a special point to stress the buttons on the bottom half, which were command buttons as well as typing buttons, and the screen up top. She then pointed out how the unit had its own PSC built in, allowing for psionic protection in a power armor that normally does not have a PSC.

"Text messages and voice messages can be converted into telepathic messages, though the unit cannot create its own encryption methods as Yamataians and Nekovalkyrja can," Yukari said, practically reading off the manual now. "There is a set of 20 encryption codes in each unit. These can be changed later by a IES unit or collectively by all of us." She blinked. This was a very good tool.

She put the book down and rummaged around in the box. "It appears officer units are white ... warrant officer units are black ... and enlisted units are grey." She plucked one out. "This one is for you, Freeman-Heisho."

She didn't look at him as she rummaged further. The box had been jumbled even before they had received it. "It comes with a small carrying case for a pistol belt if you do not like the built-in belt clip ... and a small earpiece." She plucked one of the transparent units up; it was as big as a an earplug. She handed it off to Tom and got another one, black this time.

"Kurohoshi Masako," she read, seeing the kanji on the front of the unit. She slipped the earpiece into the small carrying case. "We do not need the earpieces for now, but keep them on your person, please."

After the units were handed out, Yukari nodded, holding Kotori's unit. "There. Now that we are equipped, let us go to the Science Lab."

Nyton attached the carrying case to his pistol belt and placed the communicator inside it. He tested out the security of the case and prepared it for a comfortable location so that it would not impede his walking or arm movement.

A compensation for lack of psionic defenses in certain Armor. I suppose this was one way of doing it. Nyton thought to himself and he ran his right hand over his left forearm. The imbedded ADN device seemed to twitch as his mind sent impulses to his cybernetic arm to 'feel' that it was indeed there. Guess I wasn't the only one looking for means to defend against Misshu psionics.

As the volumetric communication window winked out, Kotori stared at it for a moment longer before hunching forward a bit, resting her face in her two hands. I flew off the handle. She gave a shuddering sigh.

"The communication has been closed, Ketsurui-Taii." The Miharu's MEGAMI informed her. "Would you like me to reestablish communication with the Sakura? I have no received any data pertinent to our assignment."

"No." Kotori groaned. "Not until I learn to be more pragmatic. This wasn't like making up at all."

With a huff, she heaved herself into a standing position and walked a few paces away from her desk. She grabbed a brush from her luggage and asked the ship to provide her mirror holography and, with a reflective plane in front of her, she gave her hair a few idle brushes and otherwise made sure of her appearance.

The ritual served the double purpose of putting her mind to something else before she headed out. Yukari was perceptive and Kotori didn't want to head for the briefing with that pale and haunted 'I talked to Hanako' expression.

"Will you manage with the briefing, Taii?" The Miharu asked again. "I could try and correspond with the Sakura's MEGAMI and see what details I could get."

"No, that's fine." Kotori replied, flinging her brush on her bed. "I'll manage. I already have a ton of unpleasant details to unveil anyways. We'll worry about giant battleships when we see one."

"Understood." It looked like that would be all from the Miharu, but the ship's voice sounded out again. "Taii, Chui Suzuka is now present in the sensor dome and other parts of the crew seem to be congregating there."

"Thank you. I will be right there."

<center>* * *</center>

Kotori walked into the science lab at a decisive pace, her black hair sweeping in her wake. Padded folding chairs had been arrayed before the consoles and platform that dominated the center of the dome, with the central part being that facility's large holographic emitter. Kotori noticed Yukari and gave her a wave.

"How is my favorite executive officer?" Kotori asked, some cheer bleeding into her voice. Despite the mishap before, Kotori was glad she was getting to the briefing - they'd be able to progress from there and get somewhere.

Mizuho settled herself in the ponderance of alcohol, and the getting thereof, for some time. Tom Freeman, they said? That sounded vaguely Nepleslian. So, while she didn't have much love to spare for Nepleslians, she knew that they did have a tendency to drink more than Yamataians. And certainly knew how to hold that liquor, and how to hoarde that liquor.

Mizuho, thusly, resolved that a visit with Mr. Freeman would be high on her list of priorities.

For now, however, she found herself grinning at the clothing Kotori had appropriated for her. Pretty mandarin dresses, Mizuho loved them greatly. And spent the next several minutes assembling garments over her person, casting them about when she finished, before settling on a dress, white in color. A little carelessly, she gathered the clothes which had been cast about, and piled them by the foot of the bed. A nod to Kotori's meticulous organization - Mizuho was not terribly organized, but at her best she could lump things into piles designated by similarity.

It never did seem to slow her up much, this disorganized approach to things.

"...was I supposed to attend the briefing?" A ponderous glance towards the ceiling. Then she flopped down on the bed, a stupid grin claiming her visage. "...I'll be called if I'm needed. If Kotori wanted me to attend, surely there would have been some indication."

Whee!

"I believe you were supposed to." The Miharu's computer suddenly said for Mizuho's benefit.

Mizuho blinked, then rose slowly, stretching her arms.

"Well, I thank you for that... Miharu." She paused at the door, ponderously, then continued on, a commentary added to the computer at the end. Perhaps even a token attempt at conversing with the Enemy. "...I dont think I'll ever be used to how much you talk to me now. I remember a time when Star Army computer systems were much more submissive. That said, would you mind guiding me to the science lab?"

"What? Were you a dominatrix whom enjoyed whipping her avatar or her ship's sprites? I don't believe any of my sprites have masochistic inclinations at the moment, so, I doubt I can serve in the capacity of being 'submissive' in that fashion." The computer quipped back as a holowindow appeared in front of Mizuho, showing her she had to take a turn to the right when getting out of the room, to walk until she got to the stairs and then down to the wardroom and then take a right turn to eventually get to the main passageway. From there, it was a short vault through the zero-gravity passage to the opposite end of the upper deck, with the science lab being accessed by the two doors on either side of the monitor room's entryway.

"I was never a dominatrix, but Seion did beg to be whipped. Hotaru preferred being starved and chained to its own walls." Mizuho had a slight note of mock threat on her voice as she followed the presented directions at a fairly rapid pace, vaulting herself, at the last, into the zero-gravity passage with all the glee of a child leaping into a large quantity of fresh mud.

"If you like, Miharu, I could teach you all about S&M. Perhaps your sprites have sadistic tendencies? I have no issue with playing a submissive role."

Shortly thereafter, she would find her way to the Science Lab, and make a quiet entrance.

Yukari turned her head from the seat she was in and flashed a smile. "I am well, Taii-san. Your trip went well then?" She made no mention of the communicators yet, as she assumed Kotori would ask about them soon enough.

Besides, she was still distracted from the size of the room they were in, and its many amineties.

"Well enough." Kotori replied. "Though I'm growing a bit concerned about this traffic blockade and the increasingly draconian communication protocols the 5th XF seem to be using. They had their Siasei group out to reclaim Talori and had apparently obtained a victory over the Mishhuvurthyar forces there... but then, up to my knowledge, all contact with that group was lost."

"The Sheridan group also recently left the system, Taii." Miharu helpfully interjected.

Kotori scowled. "I don't like this. The 5th XF is totally leaving the rest of the Star Army in the dark about their Koganagi Initiative and the scope of their operations. The war affects the southern part of the Empire as a whole and yet the 5th seems to be treating it as their private spat, keeping much of what they do secret and apparently not working with the rest of the fleets." Kotori fisted her hands as she looked out at the holographic display, which still showed the position of the fifty or so ships left in the Taiie system.

Mizuho's arrival, though, broke her attention from her display. Introductions were in order. "Ah. Suzuka-Chui, let me introduce you to Yukisato Mizuho; she is former Star Army personnel and currently in my employ as a tactical advisor. Yukisato-san, this is my Executive Officer, Suzuka Yukari-Chui."

Yukari listened and nodded, though her mind was churning through information she had on the subject of the 5th Expeditionary. It had always operated on its own, with less-than-exemplary communicative ties with Yamatai. It was a remainder of its arrival from the intergalactic fighting it had done and Motoyoshi-Taisho's dislike of oversight. It appeared the new Taisho had the same distaste for multi-fleet teamwork.

The 5th will always be the unloved child, for that is what it brings upon itself, she thought. To mysteriously lose a group that was victorious ... Stranger things had happened, but not on that scale.

"Koyanagi Initiative ... " Yukari had not heard of it. But labels were often attached to such large-scale approaches, she thought as she stood up to look closer. Fifty vessels was not in itself a small number, but it seemed many of the smaller attack vessels were absent, leaving only the older, slower Yuumi battleships behind. She winced.

Yukari turned as Kotori said her name and looked behind her. The Neko standing before her ... the one without the rank pin. She was now in a very lithe-looking semi-cream-colored dress that made her berry-and-plum colored hair look all the more luscious. And the look she wore was one of ... Yukari could not place it. But it was not one of great pleasure. Civilian advisor, Yukari thought. I have never seen one before. But she is NH-17, undoubtedly.

"Welcome, Yukisato-san," Yukari said in Japanese, bowing slightly. Her green eyes locked onto the Neko's wrist; something that looked like a scar caught her attention briefly.

Leutre couldn't help but wonder what sort of mission they would have. 'A prototype ship usually means they'll either have us do something very boring or very dangerous. Hopefully the latter, if the Goddess is willing.' As he entered the science lab, he was shaken from his thoughts by the sight of Kotori. 'Avoid cursing, sharing your opinion, or making any racist remarks. Nekovalkyrja can't help it if they're strange. And for the Lady's sake, remember to bow this time.'

Unconsciously Leutre bit his lip as if he were afraid he would unintentionally say something offensive. As he approached them, his eyes wandered over Yukari, and then to the newcomer. He felt his willpower waver as he fought down the urge to blurt out several questions at once.

Giving Kotori a curt bow, he put on his brightest smile and cheerily said, "Wonderful to see you again, my dear Taii, Chui, and," he glanced at the fuchsia-haired Neko, "Err, we haven't met yet, have we?"

(Strung out in heavens high! Hitting an all time low...)

"...hello... Suzuka-chui." A slight inclination of the head, a sentence spoken somewhat haltingly. Administering courtesy had never been a great joy of Mizuho's, admittedly, and that was no less true now than it had been during her vicious head-clashing with Yui. Unfortunately for Mizuho, clashing heads with a self-righteous admiral convinced of her own godhood rarely turned out well for the less influential party.

Her smile cast delicately towards Leutre, so terribly and obviously out of place in his manner. "...no, we have not met. I am Mizuho."

She glanced towards Kotori. "...and unless I am mistaken, this is a briefing. As such, I would rather waylay further introductions until after the fact."

Kotori nodded back to Leutre, a slight smile coming to her lips - she was glad he seemed to be improving, and then turned to address Mizuho's question: "I expect more of my people to come in shortly. Please be seated. They shouldn't be long."

The Miharu, as if on cue, transmitted to each party member still absent from the room that they were to report to the sensor dome at their earliest convenience through a text message holowindow summon.

Tomi closed the window in irritation. A window instructing her to report to somewhere she was almost in sight of- just what she didn't need right now. After crossing the final stretch of corridor to the sensor dome, she entered quietly. While her first instinct was to sit at one of the workstations so she could browse the sensor data to figure out where the hell they were, she quickly ruled against it. It was probably best to avoid looking inattentive during the mission briefing. Claiming one of the padded seats, she slumped into it, her head flopped over the seat's back in what looked like a thoroughly relaxed position. If I can't be entertained while I wait, I may as well be comfortable and relax for once today...

Leutre gave her a nod and a small smirk, "Leutre's my name. If you ever need anything, or you're just thirsting for some rotgut and a nice chat, you'll most likely find me lurking in some corner of the subdeck. Now, if you'll excuse me." With a slight bow, he turned and made his way over to the seat beside Saito.

'Not really what I was expecting,' Leutre thought as he sat down. Sneaking a glance at the front of the room, he discreetly tried to study Mizuho. 'But that scar piques my interest... Come to think of it, I've never seen a Neko with a scar before. I bet she has a good story behind it, as well as a few other tales to tell.

He leaned back in his seat and closed his eyes as he waited for the briefing to start. He loved hearing the stories of other people. Most likely everyone aboard the ship had at least one good story to tell. He'd coax them all out eventually, or at least try. But all in good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…