Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: YSS Miharu Prologue, Day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kotori frowned. "Did I not tell you, back on Scorpio, that I understood the hardships you had gone through? That even though your job as a soldier would perhaps demand that I send you out in combat that I would not have you risk your life lightly?" Kotori gave out a harsh, slightly frustrated sigh. "Tom, ever since I said that, you've been dispirited and moody. What else could I possibly tell you to make you feel better about this? I can't make blind promises: I have control over what I can do, but not over what would happen-"

A plaintive cry for 'Nyton-san' coming up from the stairs on her left had her pause a moment, but she continued: "The Miharu's crew is not canon fodder to me. I might care a lot about this mission, but I also take care of my own."

"I sound spiteful, ma'am, and it's true, because what you said hurt me deeply, more seriously than you may have thought," Tom said, his voice quivering. "I'll get over it, ma'am, because I must... because it's my job."

He closed his eyes, blinking back a few tears.

"But I'll say what I thought back then after you said those words, because I need to get this out: No matter what you can say, for some of us, it's not the same. How can you say you understand the sacrifice, what some of us are giving up? Me, for example: I've been alive for 25 years, ma'am. Twenty-five years. A childhood, a town, a family. Not only is my life being threatened, but my entire identity is by what we're about to undertake, ma'am, so you'll just have to accept that, yes, I'm a little 'moody' about the entire thing."

He had heard the cry as well, and motioned to the door.

"We already have a person who's experiencing flashbacks to some horrible trauma, and we haven't even encountered any danger yet! You can, I can, everyone can try to understand what's going through her mind right now, what she's already lost, but we can't. We just can't."

He took a quivering breath.

"There, I said it. Do you understand now why I'm dispirited?"

With that, he forced himself to attention, making himself stand tall when inside he felt fragile. His pride would not allow him to buckle now.

Nyton had managed to keep his balance but Mizuho's force had knocked him away long enough for her to get away from him. Okay confirmed that she may potentially act hostile. Be more careful this time. he thought as he turned to head for the doorway.

"...Nyton-san?" A desperate cry. "...Nyton-san! Where are you..?"

Slowly he walked up to Mizuho from the room. "I'm right here Mizuho-san. Just behind you." he said calmly. "Just because I can't see things doesn't mean I don't believe you. Why don't you just tell me everything you see and how things happened? Maybe if we retrace your steps we can find Rikichi and even help the ones who are dead find some peace."

Kotori looked at Tom, grasping for words to better convey what she wanted to inspire in him. She opened her mouth slightly and closed it. No. No use arguing philosophy with him when he's already made up his mind.

"I do not believe age gives anyone a monopoly on suffering," was what finally crossed her lips before she turned around and left for the stairs.

"I..."

Mizuho paused, trailed off, drew Nyton rather suddenly into a tight hug. After a moment, she wiped her eyes on his shoulder, backed away, almost suspiciously. All the images flashing through her mind, picking out reality was a task of hellish difficulty. "...I'm on the Miharu..." She said at last, after a long pause.

"...they're dead, Nyton. Rikichi... has been dead for twelve years. You... where... why did you ask about Rikichi?"

A pause. "How did you... know about Rikichi?"

No. was all the Yamataian could think. He did not speak that thought, though, and bowed to Kotori as she left.

"Ma'am, thank you for listening to me."

Nyton furrowed his brow for a second before he looked straight at Mizuho. "I see. Mizuho-san you were just now talking about Rikichi as though he were still alive." he said flatly.

Nyton would inquire about the events that Mizuho had been reliving but she did not wish to divulge further. After a polite discourse to drop the subject Nyton had no choice but to back off and allow Mizuho to retreat back into her room. This time she would want to remain alone and requested as such. Seeing that this would have to be left unresolved for now, Nyton made a note of this and would try to do some research on Mizuho's past to see if he could gain some insight on her prior career. For now though, he still had much work to do.

With all the research that lay before him, not to mention the training of Leutre still a matter on his mind, Nyton returned to his room with an eagerness to get down to business. He walked to his desk and glanced over at the holographic displays of Eve and Naraku, as well as the various files that Miharu had prepared for him. Before he began however, he decided to type up a quick report to Kotori on the personnel matters.

TO: Taii Ketsurui Kotori

SUBJECT: Crew Member Status

Just an update to inform you on a couple matters I have been dealing with regarding our crew. First subject is Mizuho. She is okay physically but mentally she is suffering from some serious psychological torment. I would not be surprised if she could be diagnosed with depression. She suffers from flashbacks of events that have apparently traumatized her. The flashbacks seem to involve much death on her crewmates I suspect. She mentioned a Rikichi who was her XO on a previous vessel. When in this condition she is not coherent of her surroundings and can either go catatonic, staring into space, or claim to see dead people around her. When I mentioned her dead XO she had no idea she had told me about him and unfortunately we were not able to reach a conclusion on this. While she does not seem to be violent during these episodes (as far as I have seen) she can be aggressive and take you by surprise if she decides to make a break for it. I was able to resolve the issue this evening and she has retired to her quarters but she should probably not be disturbed for now.

I suggest she receives some sort of professional counseling for her sake. While I have experience with my grandfather as he suffers from occasional fits such as these, some of them being violent, I am no expert. I feel that I can at the least be supportive for her as we seem to share similar views but I do not know how close she will let me be. As far as how much this would affect her ability, well, I find myself agreeing that there is a thin line between genius and insanity. I would prefer to keep her onboard despite her psychological condition if only because she would be able to give us a very uncommon approach to matters.

On another matter, I need to address Leutre Veressis and his behavior. I'm afraid SA personnel has done it again. They sent us another soldier who has been inadequately trained. He has no combat training outside of his own personal experience, no SA protocol, procedures, Armor, or familiarization with anything outside of starship maintenance. In other words, he skipped basic training. Upon learning this I am currently taking it upon myself to properly train him and get him up to speed. If he is successful within the next two weeks I will let you know but if he is not then I ask that you accept my recommendation. Also I would like you to make a note to not allow him to get another ST backup made in the event that he does fail.

Please do not mention any of this training to the other crew members or bring it up to him. He agreed to undergo the training as an alternative to my reporting this to the chain of command. While I am training him it is supposed to his 'chance' to remain so please try to act unaware of this. While it is vital for you to be aware of your crew's condition I have to inform you of this, however I ask that you entrust this matter to me. I will do my best to see to it that he becomes an effective soldier.

The Miharu has made some very realistic holographic models of our targets so try not to be alarmed should you visit my quarters. If I find anything that you did not cover in your brief I will try and update everyone to it.

Again, thank you for allowing me to join you on this endeavor.

Regards,

Nito Juni Claymere

After he sent it Nyton turned about to observe his quarters for a moment. The Miharu had completed making the 'nest' bed that he had requested. This would certainly be an interesting experience once he attempted to go to sleep tonight. Before that however, he began to get to work. The Naraku file would be his first task. Doesn't look like I'll get any time in the VR room. he mentally sighed.

Kotori had discreetly passed by Nyton and Mizuho as the nepleslian helped the overwrought nekovalkyrja back in her quarters. Kotori wanted to help him out, but admitted to herself that she really had little idea of how to make Mizuho's pain be better. In light of her compassion for Tom going completely misunderstood, she decided it was perhaps better to just have faith in her tactical officer.

Besides, I have plenty of things to settle here, she thought, allowing herself a slight smirk as she looked at ~her~ room. When she had been on the Sakura, she had never really managed to settle down... but this was her home now. She could allow herself to.

With a girlish giggle Kotori moved to her baggage and got started.

<center>* * *</center>

Later, Miharu gave Kotori Nyton's message. The Taii sat back at her desk to read the message over. Sh debated making a reply, but finally decided not to: she didn't want to give her tactical officer more to read before he finally allowed himself to go to bed.

Figuring it was past time she turned in herself, Kotori changed for her yukata and snuggled for the first time under her bedcovers.

END OF DAY 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back