• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

RP: YSS Miharu Prologue, Day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Yukari entered the mess, she noticed through her emotionally fogged mind that a table seemed to be waiting for them.

She was only able to tell because there was a holographic "Miharu" in kanji floating above the table. There were plates there for everyone, with English utensils and dishes. More butter, Yukari thought with a mental sigh.

Leading the group, she took a seat at the table.

ON: Secret Scorpio Research Base, YSS Miharu's Crew Rented Quarter Area, Baths

Tom listened silently, nodding on occassion, contemplating her words as they were spoken. The words were heavy, so much that they weighed the atmosphere of the room. But the Yamataian paid no heed to that. "He slapped you? Why?"

"I think he was venting his anger about being transfered out of his command on me, as well as punishing me for a percieved wrong." Kotori answered.

Tom was very angry inside, but maintained his composure. "What percieved wrong warrants a lady to be struck in the face?"

"Sneaking three Mishhuvurthyar hatchlings on his ship, into his room, no less?" Kotori proposed. She knew speaking about that subject wasn't right, considering it was part of the secret operation the Sakura had been participating in, but she was going to brief her crew about it eventually anyways.

"So the wounds you bear are deeper than those caused by a shattered romance," Tom said, suddenly remembering her golden, piercingly-cold eyes from their meeting yesterday. He didn't need to probe into the details of why three Mishhuvurthyar hatchlings managed their way on a ship. What was more important to him was how Kotori was opening up through her words.

"We all have wounds. We all have a perception of pain and how it uniquely affects us." Kotori replied. She really wasn't eager to be pitied for what had happened with Rufus: there were worst kinds of pain. "For example, the sadness you might have felt while you were cooking that meal, back on the Mikomi. I was not in the kitchen very long, but you had tears streaming down your eyes."

Tom smiled sadly. "Yeah, I remember that clearly. I have some issues with my father, but, now that I reflect on them, perhaps they weren't so much about my father as they were about myself." He shifted a little in the tub, closed his eyes and rubbed them a little, nothing more, nothing less. "You are correct, ma'am, however a frozen heart may never thaw."

Kotori looked up. "I had a father too."

Tom inched a little closer to her. "Was he a good man?"

"Very. He taught me a lot." The black-haired neko smiled. "About avoiding to do things I might come to regret later. Also about how love was not sharing a bed, but also sharing a life."

"Your father was a wise man," Tom said rather bluntly. "I'd have liked to have met him. He sounds like a Raltean in spirit."

"He might be one. I've never known him to be living anywhere but on a Star Fortress." Kotori winked back at Tom.

Tom laughed out loud. "And here I am giving a eulogy to a man who is still alive!" His thick laughter rang through the room, until it died down after several moments. "Ma'am, you are a tricky one and I will have to keep my eyes, and ears on you!"

"I was rightfully using the past tense. I have not seen my foster faster for more than a year." Kotori replied, giving Tom a mock scowl. A year was nothing for him, but it was nearly half a lifetime for her. "I messed things up, so, I can't really go back."

"Fathers can be cruel sometimes, I know," Tom said. "But perhaps it is their own way to force their children to grow up and mature? Tough love, they say."

"No, no. It wasn't that." The neko lamely shook her head. "I was the cruel one, not him."

"Howso?" Tom probably knew the answer already, but he wasn't going to make a bad guess either.

"My foster father was a married man. He had a familly. He was also my first crush." Kotori gave the Raltian a little helpless shrug.

Ok, so Tom was dead wrong. Good thing he didn't open his mouth, or show his confusion. "So, you loved your foster father in more than one way, hm?" He shook his head. "I cannot say that I understand those emotions, but you shouldn't kick yourself for following what you believe in."

"But it's wrong if you follow your feelings without consideration, or even worse, forcefully push them on another without truly knowing what they are." Kotori protested and then added more softly: "There is a difference between lust and love."

"Yes, and there is a difference between following what you believe in and taking advantage of others," Tom replied. "The art is in following your feelings without trampling over those of others. Sometimes it's impossible."

"Sometimes, it's dangerous. Especially when involving nekovalkyrja not even one year old, but believing they can think and be like a real woman." Kotori's smile was bittersweet.

"And you'll still make mistakes, as will I, from today until the day we die perhaps," Tom said, reaching out to pat Kotori's shoulder with a warm smile of his own. "But that is what helps us in the long run. When we fall down, all we can do is get up, dust the dirt off our knees, and continue. That is what life is about." He withdrew his hand calmly. "Don't kick yourself."

She nodded back, grinning. "Plenty of other things to kick around other than myself." She took a matronly air and wagged a finger at Tom. "Make sure this doesn't include your rear end. I have a nasty right kick."

"Ma'am, you know for a fact I'm going to be punished for doing something stupid, so get that boot ready!" Tom wiggled a little in the water with a chuckle. "Just have mercy!"

Kotori crossed her arms and gave him a doubtful, sidelong look. "I dunno. I punched Taisa Sydney in the guts once. I don't know why you should be exempt."

"Ma'am, I didn't mean not kick me," Tom said wryly. "I meant not kick me TOO hard! I bruise too easily!"

"I will consider it." Kotori said before pushing herself out of the water. Water drummed down on the tiled floor as she emerged with the long hair drippling thickly with moisture. She turned her head to look back at him. "Tom, I-" The words stopped and she hesitated.

"What ma'am?" Tom said.

"Remember what I said about suffering, back when I gave you your medals?" Water continued to trickle down her body.

"Yes, I do," Tom replied softly.

He didn't move at all at those words.

"You serve me and I may have to ask you to suffer again for me." She said, fisting her hands. "I will not ask lightly. The suffering I will bestow you is suffering I will have to share with you because I will not be able to bear it alone. I will ask you to stain your hands with blood only so the people we care about back home will not have to endure the sacrifice we do. That is why you are here."

"..." The Yamataian trembled a little in the warm water, his insides twisting horribly. Kotori's words were like a knife to his stomach.His right hand slowly came to his gut, where it clenched his flesh, nails digging into his skin. After what seemed like an eternity to the Yamataian, he choked out his reply. "I pray that it doesn't come to that... but... if I must, I will do as you command."

"I know Tom. I have faith in you." Kotori said. "But the words had to be said."

The nekovalkyrja walked away, snatching a towel off a set of racks before walking out to the dressing room.

END

Nyton saw the holographic kanji and raised his left eyebrow with interest. .Always did love holographic effects. Ever since I was a child. he thought to himself. Nyton then followed Yukari over to the table and took the seat to her left, which placed her at his right. "Today is more of a bacon and eggs day to me then a sweet pancake one." he then said aloud as he looked for someone to take his order.

The same nekovalkyrja as the day before came around and distributed menus to the assembling crewmembers as each present took their seat. Western meals still seemed to be the order of the day.

"Stroganoff!" Leutre cried as he sat down and picked up a menu. As the scanned the menu his grin turned into a frown. "Oh fuddle duddles, that's not on the menu."

Flipping over the menu and gazing at the back for a few moments, he placed it back down on the table. "I'll have two waffles on syrup, a sweet roll, an apple, orange, banana, half a grapefruit, a few tomato slices, and some of those little blueberries if you have them. And I'd rather enjoy a glass of chocolate milk with that. Oh, and two cups of coffee. Thanks, love." He handed the menu back and gave the Nekovalkyrja a curt nod.

"Alright." The neko, dressed in a frilly white apron and wearing her black hair at shoulderlength nodded. "Anyone else wants to make an order now?"

Masako sat calmly and looked over her menu for a couple of minutes before looking up towards the neko in apron. "Three waffles topped with strawberries and cup of hot chocolate, please," the young neko replied as she listed her sugar/butter rich breakfast.

The neko waitress had gone away to transmit to the cook what Yukari and Leutre had requested and came back to hear Masako out. "Of course," she nodded to Masako before turning her eyes to Nyton. "And you, Sir?"

"Let me have some eggs over easy, an order of bacon and sausage, two slices of toast with butter, two grapefruit halves, a glass of orange juice and a glass of milk please." Nyton said and noted the breakfasts everyone else had ordered mirrored his own from yesterday. A lot of waffle fans here. If I wasn't in the mood for something different I would be ordering the same thing. he thought. One second after he thought this he sighed. "And a small stack of pancakes with butter, syrup, and whipped cream on them. Thank you." he quickly added.

The waitress nodded. "It should take only a few minutes." With a small bow, she returned to the kitchen.

Tom was torn with the very emotion that he had tried so carefully to bury: dread.

It was an overwhelming feeling the Yamataian could not subdue. He lashed out at Kotori in his own mind, trying however he could to subdue his despair and confusion.

It's easy for you to say those things, he thought angrily. You're a Neko. You may not like it, but killing comes easily for you. Well, not me. I've got years and years behind me, a life, an identity, a reason for living. I have a home, people who raised me to be a GOOD person, not a killer.

The anger wouldn't solve his problems, and Tom knew it, but he still found release as he pounded his fist against the side of the tub.

Why'd you have to tell me that?! Why?! The sacrifice you're talking about, it's different for me! I saw it in your eyes earlier... it's not the same for you... not the same...

His hand was red and raw from the pounding, but, at last, Tom stopped. He slowly left the bath, dried himself off and changed into his uniform. As he trudged toward the kitchen, he tried to find something, a memory of some sort, that would wash away the taint of Kotori's statement...

James took his time looking through the menu, mulling the choices over in his mind even as the others placed their orders. After all, breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

"Hmm...Soups, soups. There's the chicken noodle, but tomato sounds good too. But if I go with that and a sandwich I might get too full and I don't want to get sick if we do another simulation..."

He dropped the menu down low enough to peer over at the rest of the crew. More waffles? I wonder how long we can stand them on the ship without going insane.

"I'm stumped. It all sounds delicious."

The moment Yukari saw Tom walk in the kitchen, face mildly twisted in a grimace, she knew something was wrong.

Was he mad at her? Mad that she left him with Kotori? Mad that she didn't show herself to him, even though he'd done the same? The shame had been too much; she didn't want to do that and suffer whatever uncomfortable feelings would come with it. Not yet.

She raised her hand to him, smiling shyly, eyes unsure.

Tom saw Yukari and raised his hand in response, a half-hearted smile on his face. There was distress in his eyes, however, that he could not conceal. He quietly ordered some bacon and eggs and sat alone at the edge of the Miharu table.

Yukari gulped, but kept her eyes averted. She didn't want to make Tom any more upset than he was.

I will be able to speak to him later ...

Kotori made her own entry not long after Tom, wearing her own white paneled uniform. She sat herself at the table, opened the menu to review it and suddenly made a small exclamation.

"Ah, Tom." The Taii lowered her menu and her head to look at the dispirited yamataian. "I took the time to take care of the Miharu's inventory in the regard of hardware such as power armor and ammunition, but not much in regard to spare parts and foodstuffs. We're going to have a default supply for each category, but if there is anything in particular you'll need in term of tools, parts or ingredients for specific dishes you'll want to make, I think it'd be a good idea to think on it and give Yukari the information so she can communicate with Scorpio's logistics and make the submission before 1000 hours. I'd really like us to be able to launch in early afternoon if possible."

Tom nodded. He wasn't looking at Kotori but rather at the table.

"No problem, ma'am. Did you have any meal preference?"

Kotori returned her eyes to her menu. "I'm fond of anything involving rice and salmon. I'm not in disfavor of more common western meals. Other than that, I'm trusting you to include some diversity to broaden our overall palatte - not only including Raltean meals but things from all around Yamatai." The neko commander gave Yukari a sidelong look. "You might want to consider acquiring a few recipe books."

Excusing himself, James walked over to the waitress and ordered a bowl of chicken noodle soup with a side of bacon, sausage links and a glass of orange juice.

Returning to the table, he grinned at Tom. "Well, you're our cook now! Perhaps things won't turn out so bad, then."

Something's wrong here, the Geshrin mused, eyes dancing between Tom and Yukari. Why is everyone getting so somber all of a sudden?

"I, for one, am looking forward to getting underway," he offered lamely, trying to lighten the mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…