• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

RP: YSS Miharu Prologue, Day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miyoko smirked slightly at the sprite's greeting. So enthusiastic... is this a military ship or a pleasure cruise? She dropped her bags to the floor, waving lightly to it as it touched down on the ship's surface. "Good morning. Saito Miyoko- I've been assigned to this ship. I assume it's ready for me to move into my quarters?"

Leutre couldn't help but grin himself when he saw her smile. "Ah, my dear, I know precisely how you feel. Can you hear it? Can you feel it?" He let out a loving sigh as slowly spun on heel and looked around. Slowly closing his eyes, he lifted an arm and reached out. "She's calling out to us. So many systems to fine tune, so many components to re-align. And I'm the one that gets to do it. This must be what love feels like."

Leutre lowered his arm and opened his eyes. Turning back to Yukari he said, "My Da once told me, 'Women are fickle and nothing but trouble. But a ship is solid. A safe haven that will stick by you, and will fight to the death if you order her to do so.' If that isn't love, what is?"

"Good morning. Saito Miyoko- I've been assigned to this ship. I assume it's ready for me to move into my quarters?"

Leutre blinked as he turned to the voice. Strange, he didn't remember meeting this one. Perhaps she was another addition to the crew? "Wonderful! The more, the merrier, the more, the mayhem! Glad to meet you, my dear." Leutre moved forward and grasped her hand without warning. Firmly shaking it, he gave her a nod and a smile. "I'll be your local gearhead for the duration of this fine voyage. Good that we met now, as I'll likely be spending the whole trip crawling through the bowels of the ship."

"Wha-!" Without warning, Miyoko's hand was wrest from her mid-sentence.

"I'll be your local gearhead for the duration of this fine voyage. Good that we met now, as I'll likely be spending the whole trip crawling through the bowels of the ship."

"Well." She straightened her clothes with a slight chuckle, still recovering from the drive-by greeting. Do you have a name, or shall I just refer to you as..." she glanced at his rank pin, "Santô Hei Bowel-Crawler? I assume that you already heard my name for yourself."

Yukari just blinked. She had understood the first half of what Leutre had said ... but the rest confused her. And it was strange to be called "fickle" and "nothing but trouble." She wasn't fickle, she told herself with a frustrated huff.

But once Leutre had nearly toppled over the violet-haired Neko toward the end of the concourse, Yukari could only hold her helmeted head and sigh.

Leutre shook his head solemnly when he heard Yukari sigh. Some people just didn't understand. Or even try to.

Turning his attention back to Saito, he cleared his throat and said, "Ah, do forgive my manners. Leutre Veressis is my name. Nice to meet you, Saito Miyoko." Leutre appraisingly looked her up and down for a moment. Nodding to himself, he said, "So long as you aren't pompous, timid, or concerned with petty things like legality, I'm sure we'll get along famously."

Tomi nodded to Leutre. "Of course; I'm sure we will." She'd been welcomed to so many places during her short life, the response came to her out of rote familiarity with the setting. "Ah, but if you'll excuse me for a moment..." She stepped past him and bowed to Yukari. "Santô Hei Saito Miyoko, science and medical staff. Reporting for duty as ordered." She glanced at the luggage the two were carrying. "It would seem that I arrived just on schedule, hm?"

"Ah -- " Yukari wasn't sure what to say; the soldier had walked right past Kotori, though Kotori seemed focused on something else. "Yes you did," Yukari said with a smile.

"Suzuka Yukari-Chui." She bowed a little. "I am the executive officer. It is good to meet you, Saito-Hei. I did not know we had a new crewmember."

She turned and gestured to everyone. "This is Nitô Juni Nyton Claymere, Santô Juni Kurohoshi Masako, Nitô Heisho Tom Freeman, and Santô Hei James Dige."

She then gestured to Kotori. "And your commanding officer, Taii Ketsurui Kotori."

Miyoko colored a bit, turning quickly to face Kotori. Wonderful way to start things, me- overlook your commanding officer right off the bat. Embarassment evident in her cheeks, she bowed deeply to the Taii. "Er. My apologies, ma'am. I didn't see you there." Rising from the bow, she rubbed the back of her neck in embarassment, mumbling, "NOW I'm reporting as ordered."

Well, since I've already made a fool of myself as it is, I may as well make a damn fool of myself while I'm at it... She flourished a deep bow to the rest of the group. "Believe it or not, there are those in command who believe that I'm intelligent enough to be a scientist."

James' eyebrow perked up at the mention of the new recruit's assigned job.

A scientist? I suppose that makes sense, seeing as we're an experimental vessel. Reversed-engineered cannons and all that jazz. There's a reason I never wanted to get too deep into that stuff.

He bowed back to Miyoko and smiled.

"I'm sure that they are completely justified in their reasoning, Miyoko-Hei. Welcome to our small little family."

Masako gave the newcomer a slight bow and smiled. "Greetings Miyoko-Hei," the warrant officer replied as Yukari introduced the crew. "And welcome to the crew," the young neko replied.

"Pleased to meet you Saito... I'm Tom," Tom said as he stood up and wave the newcomer. "Our names are pretty close! Sai-TO and Tom. Cool, huh?"

Tom welcomed the distraction of the newcomer. Perhaps it would help lift him out of his sour mood.

"Oh me? I'm just an engineer, as well as the new caretaker. I enjoy dancing, acting and singing... but especially dancing."

Kotori allowed the others to greet the newcomer first and then returned a nod of her own. "Glad to have you around, Saito-hei." Kotori figured the best way to deal with the embarrassment of a awkwardly new crewmember was to do like her previous CO Rufus and just make nothing of it. She had given a proper bow: she was safe.

The Taii turned to look over to the sand-haired sprite. "And you are?"

"I am the personification of the Miharu's MEGAMI intergrated electronic system." The orange-panelled neko answered as she placed one hand over her breastbone. "I call myself Mara."

"Pleased to make your acquaintance Mara. Can you lead us to where our quarters would be?" The commander asked.

"Sure. Just follow me up the zero-gravity passageway. The Upper Deck isn't a long way up. Anyone lacking anti-gravity control can just push off and grab on the loops of cloths going over the white cushions there to redirect themselves." Mara pointed the white cushions lining up the passageway with the strong hoops of cloth conveniently placed here and there before Mara propelled herself up from the level of the ventral airlock to the upper deck: it was only a dozen meters or so away.

"Yahoo!"

Leutre flung himself into the passageway head over heels, one arm swinging wildly and his box of books tucked beneath the other. Instinctively Leutre curled his legs to increase his spin.

Increasing speed to point three rotations per second. Four seconds until impact with the wall at an angle of twenty five degrees, Leutre thought as he spun through the air. Just as he did back on the Mourning Glory, he could envision the movement in his mind's eye. I hope I haven't lost my knack for bouncing.

As he tumbled towards one of the passageway walls, he quickly stretched his legs and landed feet first. Before could float away from the wall, he kicked himself off in another spin down the hall. And then another. Merrily laughing with each jump he continued to bounce back and forth along the inside of the passage.

At least for a while, Leutre was blissfully ignorant of both his companions and the task at hand.

Nyton finished watching everyone else make their introductions and greetings before he approached Saito. As they all floated towards the access of the ship Nyton pushed up next to her and gave a quick nod. "I'm Nito Juni Nyton Claymere, ship's Armor wing leader. Good to meet you." he said, keeping his introduction brief since they were in middle of embarkation.

Nyton's memory recorder was collecting the moment as they travelled up into the ship. The actions of the others were also of interest. Leutre is as I expected, still fooling around. His proficiency has yet to be proven but I am rather optimistic. I fear however his lack of bearing will stunt his career somewhat. At least in the presence of stricter officers. He is indeed showing his zero gravity skill. That is rather impressive. he thought to himself as he watched Leutre flip about the corridor. The new member, Saito. She seems to have her protocols down along with an ability to improvise and make the most of an awkward moment. Nyton continued thinking as he floated along.

James watched Leutre spiral for a moment before gently throwing himself up after Nyton, his duffelbag trailing behind..

"Ah, zero gravity. Isn't it wonderful, the things us land-bound folk can do with the help of modern technology?"

Grabbing one of the straps, he hauled himself up higher.

Slinging her belongings across her back again, Saito nodded to this delayed greeting and took up position near the end of the line. Dige's words replayed through her minds as she floated- Welcome to our small little family.

She glanced over to Nyton. "I'm curious, Claymere-Juni... has this crew previously served together? I was led to believe that this was a new vessel..." She gestured at the wildly bouncing form of Leutre. "... but I can't help but feel that it's a somewhat less formal setting than I'm used to."

Kotori, below Tomi, couldn't help but flinch as she overheard the newcomer. She wasn't exactly going after a tight ship - she really just wanted to look professional - but people like Tom, Yukari and Leutre sort of made her feel as if she should at least be more accomodating. After all, she wanted morale to be good and still wanted them to feel at home, despite the war going on.

She sighed, but refrained from going up yet. She had lagged because she had wanted to see how everyone did in zero-gravity - including Yukari.

Nyton floated along the tunnel with minimal effort, keeping his trajectory simple. His pilot training and experience in the Sakura tunnels allowed him to be proficient but no where near Leutre's level. Upon hearing Saito's question he slowed down with one of the straps and brought himself back to her position in the line. "Some of us have worked together previously on other ships. We've also been getting to know each other for the past few days so everyone has gotten on fairly familiar terms." he replied.

The concern in her voice regarding formality made Nyton think for a second before continuing. "Professionalism and formality cannot exist without the other. Professionalism requires formality in order to function. Formality must be done professionally if it is to be done right. Formality may be relaxed so long as it does not reduce professionalism. Professionalism is given a set of formal rules to guide it's development." he said. "To cut to the chase, so long as we remain professionals in all we do then formality may be relaxed to allow us the enjoyment of being professional." Nyton finished.

After Nyton finished his explanation, before Saito could ask anything else he noted the collar with the kanji aroung her neck. "Tomi. What significance does the character on your necklace bear?" he asked.

Whoa, that was pretty deep. Kotori thought as she picked up Nyton's answer. It made her feel a bit better about herself.

Her confidence in herself somewhat rejuvenated, she turned a mock glare on Yukari. "Well? What are you waiting for? Fly. I'm watching."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…