• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Miharu Prologue, Day 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mishhu flagship flew into a slow circle past the Iori, part of its powerful array of quill weapons savaging another large part of the Star Army Lamias. The large ship was making a slow revolution around itself, twisting so that under fifteen seconds, all its projected aether bladed arrays would be able to fire at the Iori's defenses.

More and more aetheric beams flashed against the shielding of Akina no Iori in addition to the hammering of an incessant barrage of torpedoes as the number of M1s went dramatically down. Melisson didn't seem to be prioritizing destroying the Star Fortress as much as she was working to destroy the weapon pods raining fire on it, in effect working to disminish whatever fighting capabilities the Iori had before going to the kill.

<center>* * *</center>

Kotori nodded once, but remained silent. She seemed to be waiting...

Yukari's console then suddenly breeped a notice and a holowindow brought to her attention that they were being hailed on one of the secure Black Spiral channels they had been emulating. It was coming from the giant mishhuvurthyar battleship.

Behind Yukari, Kotori raised the points of her ears expectantly.

Shimatta! Yukari put a hand to her headset, not sure how to respond or where to route it to. She turned in her seat and looked back at Kotori. "It is on a Black Spiral channel ... should I route it somewhere?"

Kotori quickly twirled a finger around to bring up a holowindow and opened a communication to Mizuho (a similar window appeared in the virtual room).

"Yukisato-san, I have a call for the commander of the Black Spiral Nozomi scout SS Kurohyou. You are that commander. You are about to leave the system; there is little contribution you can offer with SAINT already here investigating Taisho Motoyoshi's death; instead, you are going to survey one of the locations the 5th XF plans to reorganise with the forces from Vaalad to support their evacuees and mount an operation to retake Taiie. Remember, you are not a Star Army commander - you despise those imperialist, human-loving scumbags; you eat broken glass and wire for breakfast and also enjoy putting fluffy pink bunnies on fire." Kotori finally added: "I'll leave the rest to you."

Kotori closed the window and gave her executive officer a meaningful nod. Now or never.

Yukari nodded and routed the communication to the Virtual room. She kept it through an image panel instead of something more grand, as it was still a Star Army vessel.

She then blinked ... and smiled. Perhaps she could help. "Kotori ... it is possible to use the subspace transmission line we have established with the vessel as a way into its computer array ... if the amount of information we take is limited, their officers will not notice without a detailed examination."

Kotori shook her head. "I don't want to risk our bluff more than we have to."

<center>* * *</center>

The volumetric window opened in front of Mizuho a moment after Kotori's smaller holowindow winked to a close, showing again the image of the pink fleshed mishhuvurthyar interpreter with the wavy, luxurious red hair.

"Well well... what is this little critter skulking away?" Melisson asked Mizuho.

Leutre reached up and touched the wound on his head. Ouch. I guess it's still a bit tender, but it's still much better than I expected. This whole having a doctor aboard the ship thing is great.

"Thanks f-for the help Miyo, you're a lifesaver. But really, I'm good to w-work. I'm fine. Fine, fine, fine. Fine." He paused and blinked in confusion for a moment. He tried to recall what he had been talking about, but couldn't remember. "What was I t-talking about? Oh well, nevermind. Maybe you're right about me needing to take a rest, my head is still a bit foggy. I think I'll head back to my room and take a nap for a bit. Thanks again, Miyo." Blowing her a kiss and waving goodbye, he made his way across the hall into the main passageway.

On the way to his room he noticed the halls were empty and void of activity. It's almost eerie... Not just the silence, but it feels like I'm forgetting something important. Maybe I just need some rest. He reached the door to his quarters and stepped through it as it opened. As he lay down on his bed, careful to watch the tender spot, he realized he was still in the environmental suit. He didn't seem to care much as he began to doze off, dreaming of starships and science officers.

Breathing a sigh of relief, Miyoko leaned against the examination table. While she was glad that her first real solo medical work had been such a relatively simple injury, it had still been rather nerve-rattling... and the patient's alternation between feverishly trying to escape and flirtation hadn't made things much easier. At least it had served to distract her mind from the situation beyond the ship's hull.

Cleaning up took a few minutes. When the last traces of blood had been removed from the floor, table, and the forceps, Miyoko left the room, heading back for the bridge.

What exactly is Melisson planning to do with the fortress? Nyton wondered. She seems to be toying with it to some extent rather than outright destroying it. Is there something there she wants? An item? Person? The fortress itself? With their sensors on passive he couldn't do anything beyond observation. He recorded all he could but outside of the low level scans he could not determine much else about the Mishhu attack. All he could do was observe. For now.

As Mizuho was now in dialogue with the enemy commander he tried to derive as much information as he could from the discussion.

"Uggghh... What.. The hell?" Chigusa muttered.

Some of the rocking earlier had caused her to fall over, and smash her head into the durandium plate that the Megami had fashioned for her. She was just now waking up. ".. What happened?"

Chigusa rose up and exited the fabrication room, her head still aching. "Owwie..." she muttered as she made her way to the wardroom, still wondering what the hell was going on.

(...sorry for the delay. >.>)

"...goddamn fluffy pink bunnies deserve it, if you ask me." Mizuho, mentally, set herself to clinging at that remark, using it to steady herself as the new window popped open, revealing Melisson. Here, she steeled herself, coming to a firmly attentive pose, amethyst eyes arched into an angry expression, mouth downturned in contours of an intensity not seen since her ranting about Yui...

"I am Commanding Officer of the SS Kurohyou." There was a distasteful flare to her voice as she spoke. "And I was leaving to survey the 5th Expeditionary Fleet in its reorganization. They will certainly intend to retake Taiie with the evacuees, and the forces from Vaalad, and certainly you understand the importance of not quibbling with your own!"

Arms crossed heavily, and the furrowed-brow look remained. "If you don't mind, I have business to attend to. Rats dont exterminate themselves."

"Where was that communication jamming?!" Melisson demanded angrily, snarling as she underwent a quicksilver change of mood. The open-lipped snarl offered Mizuho a good view of the interpreter's teeth which where nowhere nearly as comely as the rest of the mishhu woman's body: they were rows of triangular pointed teeth, much like a shark.

"There were elements of three more yamataian fleets." Melisson's ship shook from the assault of the not-so-helpless Iori it was fighting even as Melisson talked. "Three! Had I not had taken a 'divide and conquer' approach to weaken the Motoyoshi's lapdogs, my forces would have been the ones being 'exterminated'."

The door slid open and Miyoko entered the bridge. With everybody fixated on holowindows, she felt almost as if she were intruding. She quietly crossed to the center of the recessed area and bowed to Kotori. "I've seen to Veressis-hei, as you asked. He'll be recovering in his quarters for now."

Kotori quickly nodded back to Miyoko. "Please check up on the rest of the technical staff. Veressis-hei might have been incapacitated, but it doesn't mean he was the only one to be hurt."

Chigusa continued rubbing her head as she sort of haphazzardly drifted into the wardroom, which in turn led her to fall over onto the floor of it. She got up and brushed herself. "Argh.. What happened? How long was I out? Megami?"

"Wakarimashita." Miyoko turned and exited the bridge again, doing her best to keep her eyes off of the displays. If I can't do anything about the outcome, it's better that I just don't know how things are going...

"For most of the battle." The Miharu's MEGAMI replied to Chigusa. "You should report to the medlab if you are unfit for duty, or to Freeman-Heisho over the subdeck if you wish to render assistance."

One thing suddenly registered to Chigusa's sense - it was made painfully obvious by the word 'battle': the large viewports in the back of the wardroom showed a receding blue orb, a storm of brilliant explosions and energy beams running across the view in front of of the planet proper... and an dazzling cloud of roiling orange-red colors which seemed to slowly creep toward Taiie.

Chigusa suddenly leapt up as it hit her. "Dammit! Why didn't anyone wake me up? ... Are we already retreating?"

She was scared, and almost cried. "May I speak to Kotori-taisa?"

Tom Freeman passed the next few minutes monitoring the Miharu's systems from a control panel.

"Ok, looks like we're back up to 100% charge," he said. "Switching to passive charge mode."

The change was seamless.

"Good work, everyone. You've done a fine job keeping us in one piece."

He smiled and bowed to Masako.

"Teamwork, ma'am. We all did our part, but we're not out of the woods until we're out of combat."

Having said that, he turned back to his console and monitored the activities of the subdeck.

"Yes, we are retreating... and no, you cannot speak with her," the ship's MEGAMI replied to Chigusa. "There is no Kotori-Taisa aboard."

Pursing her lips, Mizuho shot back some rather improvised conjecture. Communication jamming. That could certainly make their escape a little rocky, this bit of information. But she maintained her composure, eyes idly following Melisson, filled with the impassive disrespect that she had mastered in her brief contact wtih Yui.

"My objectives were disrupted by extensive presence of SAINT operations. You don't seem to be exterminated at all, far as I can tell, so I can't imagine what you're bitching about. There was a hitch in plans and you adapted. Do your job. I'll bloody well do mine." The venom on her voice could have killed a half-dozen kittens. "Now shall we continue sparring, or can we save it for a more appropriate time?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back