• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: LSDF Akahar [Prologue] - From Dark

Luca

The Ultimate Badass
🎖️ Game Master
Space.

It is big, expansive, and it was one of those places which always made you feel small and insignificant. Even in spite of all of the exploration, charts and mapping, there was always that niggling fear of the unknown clawing at the back of your mind, and that was before the feelings of insignificance in the grander scheme of things dashed or amplified your ambitions.
About sixty or seventy interstellar light years 'South East' of Yamatai, the Lorath were trying to make the best of a bad situation. After all, a moon fell on their homeworld in the past, and one of their biggest supporters had fallen to the NMX more recently.

They existed between jobs, between paragraphs and between breaths. They seemed to exist on threads as people tried to live their life and protect their interests. However, in spite of all this, they kept on going. Even with all the known threats, and the unknown threats to them, they still fought for what little they had to call their own.

The LSDF Akahar was a Raptor Class Expeditionary Ship that worked for the Matriarchy as some sort of spacefaring mortician and gravedigger. Finding those ships lost in combat, and ensuring that its crew were finally given a proper rest, and whatever parts could be reused went where they had to go. Like most days between named jobs, the ship just wandered about, looking for whatever they could use, bringing it back.

Things had more or less been quiet now that the NMX had been on the short end of the stick from the combined efforts of Nepleslia and Yamatai. Occasionally the Akahar would be given smaller patrol runs within Matriarchy space to ensure that trade was going smoothly, as pirates and NMX stragglers looking for a quick kill were still a problem. However, compared to the usual work that the Akahar was engaged with, it all seemed trivial.

That is, until something caught their management by surprise.

The phone in the XO's office rung. The Executive Officer was in the midst of assembling a model of an old-style Vampire Class Cruiser inside a bottle, and leapt out of his chair, causing the miniature model to fall to pieces inside the bottle. When the dust settled, he looked at his ruined handiwork, and then over at the phone.

"Hello?" He asked with a grunt, pushing a button to bring up a holographic screen. The call was quick and somewhat frenzied. The captain of the recognisably Lorath ship was giving out some sort of distress signal. Blinking and subsiding his rage, he assured the person on the other end of the line: "Slow down," A couple of moments later, he realised that it was a recording. Remembering that static recordings can't answer back, he leaned in to watch the recording play.

"...I'm in the Tange System, orbiting Tange VII one hundred and sixty degrees from the main Star, requesting immediate help. We-" The message then cut out, almost as abruptly as it came to the executive officer's desk. The Executive Officer watched the static and the white noise in contemplation before he continued.

"Tch." He grumbled as he tapped a pen against his desk, pausing the video and looking over to his Artificial Intelligence. "Starmap of Tange." He requested bluntly before looking at the inter-dimensionally imported Newton's Cradle on his desk. It was still.

He rectified that by pulling back the first bead on it, and let go of it, letting it hit the other four beads, and sending the backmost bead out, then back in. It would repeat this cycle indefinitely. A holographic representation of the Tange system appeared, flecked with blotches of yellow and red to indicate former NMX activity, having razed the habitable planets - but the occupants having been evacuated by the Nepleslian Fourth Fleet.

"One hundred and sixty degrees, assuming zero starts at 'North'." He requested. The hologram drew a line that shot out from the representation of the system's star, and reached the edge of the solar system. "Stop it at Tange VII." The line stopped in the asteroid belt. He sighed and held up a hand to bring up the video, then perused it for any metadata.
Code:
xxcFormzat: LzzMV
Aauthoqcczr: LCdS Mok'Ro
Co-Ordinates: -w56.2n;, +9ii.855, +3ccccccq3.5v0
Dsshsateh: 16/4/34
Travfel Data:d Tange #23g4 > Mhisato #683g > fMisa,to #445 >x Misatvo #1bb46 >n Kotokmu #,672 > Kotokv,u #x442 > Krottoku #883 > Lotr #56 > Lbor #445 a> Lor #1
Coxxnmmennts: SOdS
"Quite a long time ago, and from so far away. It's probably travelled a lot of beacons by now and all that travelling has corrupted some of the vital data - AND it's closer to Yamataian hands, but..." He reiterated to himself in thought before bringing up another window, this time for an intercom. "Get me Braincase." He told the intercom service. While he waited, he put some candy into his mouth from a nearby bowl on his desk. He was practically ripe with anticipation - the Mok'Ro had all but disappeared from the radars several months back.

"Braincase, do you copy? It's Keib. Something big has fallen on our laps, possibly from the Higher Ups." He then smiled into the video screen: "It's the Mok'Ro. We have a modern-day ghost sighting!" While he was talking into the screen, he was trying to bring up previous transmissions and logs from the Mok'Ro in another window. There were only a scant few, and so many questions he had to answer.

There where a few things he had found out when he'd been assigned this command, some where beneficial, others... damning... overall the Fyuunen found the benefits to be worth it. His name is Ship Commander Hakahn 'Braincase' KaShan Fyuunen, he seems... average.. for a member of the warrior caste, short compared to his female fellows as their regimented breeding demanded. But his intellect was not held by this genetic tampering, it was the very thing which had led him down this odd path.

Either way his mind snapped back to the present, to the dimly lit drabbly undecorated ship office that made up half his personal quarters on the LSDF Akahar. A present being rudely shaken by a loud buzzing from his desk's small communicator, the face of his second in command. His manically odd expression present on the small monitor as his voice exploded into the once quiet office. A modern day ghost ship, Hakahn thought, a rarity indeed.

Thumbing a small button on the device the Fyuunen opened the channel, with a dull almost bored voice he answered. "A ghost ship you say, and that you mean another derelict for us to fly out and record?"

"My friend, I've been - or at least the higher ups have been telling me to - wonder where the hell the Mok'Ro put themselves for the last few months!" The mysterious, difficult-to-appease beings that Keib only knew as the 'Higher Ups' were much a mystery to him as they were to everyone else on this ship thanks to their indirect actions that, one way or the other, shuffled them here.

Just about everyone had some history of heresy, discontentment, outcastery or otherwise were just too strange to put anywhere else in the fleet. The rhythmic tick-tick of the Newton's Cradle could be heard as Keib made a pause for breath. "And this isn't just a derelict. It's a derelict with some pretty strange transmissions. Hold on I'll forward you their last couple of transmissions before they went AWOL."
Code:
Format: LMV
Date: 13/3/34
Author: LCS Mok'Ro
-Transcript-
...On the way towards our search run off at Tange, our sensors picked up something. Space scans indicated that it devoid of life in the vacuum of space, and contained precious metals, possibly useful ones.
*sigh* Our resident Engineer insisted that we pick it up despite the relatively small size of the item, as we had to fix the engine. So we bought it in, quarantined the item, as per protocol, and everything checked out. Turns out the metal was fit for repair, and I think the engineering boys are making use of it now...
Code:
Format: LMV
Date: 20/3/34
Author: LCS Mok'Ro
-Transcript-
...The head engineer came to me today complaining about noises in the ship's side passages. I didn't pay it much heed. We're mining asteroids and space hulks about six interstellar lightyears South East of Tange, mostly finding old Yamataian vessels and wrecked NMX cruisers.

Nothing to write home about really. Ship's still operational and the crew is content. I think I - Wait. What is it now? *someone heard in the background, too muffled to make out* For the fourth time, it's not something I can deal with. *muffled reply* Where? *muffled reply* Why don't you double check your work? By the Goddess...

...ugh, dumb engineers...
"The thing is, that's all we have that seems relevant. They didn't submit another report until their SOS, which was dated on the 16th of April, and we only got it today, several months later." That day was the 28th of September, "Doesn't that strike you as funny? Perhaps... odd?"

Keib took a handful of candy from the bowl. Upon closer inspection, the bowl never ceased to produce, "I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there was an ambush by NMX, based on what I'm seeing in the last logs. Or, perhaps they picked up some bad cargo during the week after their last transmission. Or maybe the captain got sloppy, you could hear it in her voice."

With Keib's summation and ideas put on the table, the order was made: "Let's find us some able bodied men and women, give 'em some rifles, armour, pack 'em in a shuttle, and we should be done with this by lunch. Greg, fetch me a cup of tea and start the search, will you?"

The mad Lorath was referring to his beleaguered Helashio servant named Greg. Pale skinned and orange haired, Greg wasn't male, or female, but ended up being Greg - it's a long story. Greg gave a cheery mumble and trotted off, dressed in an old labcoat, a singlet and rudimentary underwear. Unlike most of Keib's servants, Greg was a cut above the rest through elimination, and Keib treated it as some sort of lab assistant despite everything Greg put up with, and how most others in his profession treated Helashio.

Some time later, Greg returned with a cup of tea and some files in its other hand. It put them on Keib's desk. Keib gave the assistant a candy for their troubles and dismissed it back to its cubicle.

"Okay, here are some of Greg's initial recommendations, er, hurm," He started sifting through the files for adequate candidates for this mission, "Let's see here..."

Medic Merril 'Soft Touch' Ghere Lmanel was please to be back in action. It had been a while, what with the mediocre awards ceremony and the mandatory vacation for a "grace period" for her "shock and trauma" from the crash. But she honestly did not care about any of that. It was all just so. . .

"Boooring!" Merril giggled. The corporal had her duffel bag slung over one shoulder, crossing her back downwards towards her ample hips. One hand fiddled with her side ponytail as she walked, approaching the ship she saw docked. "Looks like something fun is waiting for me!"

Bastion stood right behind the gate of the airlock, where the ship was connected to the docks. It was one of rare times when LSDF Akahar was docked to replenish supplies and to let the crew off. But it was almost over and Bastion did not get to set a foot of the ship once again. She had to help in the cargo and now she was also sent by XO to meet the new crewmember.

According to data Bastion got this girl was supposed to be medic. About Bastion's age, maybe slightly younger. No one told her what the girl did so bad to deserve service on this ship. Bastion just hoped she won't be a quack, because the ship needed medical person who knew their way around the needle.

Otherwise all Bastion had was a picture of young blonde with some muscles on her. Also that she was called 'Soft Touch', which sound like good name fore medic. It made sense, same as the reason Bastion was called Bastion.

Finally the door opened and the blonde from the picture stood there. Bastion looked at her and smiled politely, looking down upon her. "Hello," she said with her soft voice. "You must be Corporal Soft Touch. I have been sent to greet you."

"Hello. You must be Corporal Soft Touch. I have been sent to greet you."

Merril grinned with her canines, taking in the sight of the massive woman before her.

"Hah! I'm still not used to that title. Heh, corporal. That's great!" She guffawed, losing her composure. She straightened herself back up quickly enough, however, and properly took the time to address her new greeter.
"Greet me, huh? Well, you the infantry commander or something? 'Cause I gotta know my people first."

Her fingers made little wriggling motions as she spoke. Not like drumming, but more like mimicking the motion of water as it swirls down a river.

Bastion looked down, watching the girl in front of her. She started to getting at the reason while they sent Soft Touch to the failship. This girl seemed a little happy-go-lucky and did not care much for ranks. At least judging by friendly she got with Bastion so suddenly.

"Me?" Bastion asked back and chuckled. "I am not commander of anything. I am part of what you would call infantry aboard this ship though. Luckily I get to use much more often then my sword. You will most likely treat only some cuts and broken bones. When grabbing cargo off derelict ship accidents happens. Anyway I am Trooper Bastion, but just call me Bastion."

Merril hardly seemed perturbed by the news. If anything, she seemed to revel in the idea.

"Huh. I knew wrestling that guy was a bad idea. So much for a front-lines post! Guess that means I get more time to sew!" She chuckled, placing a hand to her forehead as if she needed to brace herself. This wayward support disappeared soon enough, with her arm returning to her side to do those strange motions with the fluid imitation.

"So, do I get a tour of the ship or something?"

Bastion watched Merril's hands as they always did some strange gestures. Mars decided to not comment on it though. She was used to Howler, Soft-Touch's little gestures could not put her off.

"Sure," Bastion replied with mild smile. "Though you saw one Raptor, you saw them all. Well right now we are on deck 3 now. Bridge, Armoury and medical bay is here among other things. I assume you would like to see the med-bay. We can then go find a room for you." Bastion wondered if there will be place for the girl somewhere. She could probably take her to her pit meanwhile and see how that goes.

"Might as well see where I'll be spending half my time. Most injuries will probably be cause by me. I get a little rough when I get competitive."

Merril surveyed the interior where they were, finally taking a good look at what was round her. The semi-familiarity of the surroundings was only slightly strange to the shapeshifter.

"But yeah. You're leading the tour, Bastion. So lead away!" Merril commanded in a very passive tone, almost as if she were asking for a cup of tea or something minor.

"Follow me then," Bastion said and started walking down the hall. Every time they went by an entrance she named it. Armoury, Bridge, everything. While they walked Bastion started talking. "Competition is of course a good thing. It brings people to try and rise above their level. A duel or sparring now and then can also keep the spirit and body in top shape. Let me say one thing though." Bastion said, looked back at Merril with emotionless face. "Should let's say someone's competitiveness make one soldier hurt another out of jealousy for example, I won't tolerate it." Her body sort of solidified and she became tense.

Bation looked at Merril for seconds or two, before smile returned to her face. "Here we are!" She said and pointed to the entrance. Medical-bay was written next to it. "No one is here right now it seems." She said and sighed. "Doc probably had to go check if we got all the medical supplies we needed."

"Don't worry, I don't get jealous!" Merril dissuaded, casually dismissing the notion with a wave of her hand. When the duo arrived at the medical bay, the wildcat took a few minutes to examine the stores of things, giving a slight nod after each cabinet was fully checked.

"So you got another doc on this ship?" The girl asked as she finished up, placing a sewing kit she retrieved from her bag on one of the slightly less than pristine counters of the place.

Bastion answered with a nod. "Well of course." The overly tall fyunnen added to not be completely silent. "Even this bucket of rust." She chuckled and walked in. The mad-bay looked still the same. Ten empty beds. Luckily. "But yeah, I assume this is where you will be holding your shifts."

"Seems cozy enough," The Lmanel remarked, placing the kit in one of the cabinets. In an attempt to make idle conversation, she asked, "So, how did you end up on this bucket of bolts, then? You look like you'd handle yourself in a fight just fine!"

Merril switched shoulder's holding her bag, as one was getting tired. Such was her problem, having decided to walk from one end of the spaceport to another instead of waiting for a trolley.

Shrie'keng walked across the dock towards the Akahar. He had already been stationed on a Raptor-Class and had an easy time finding this one. Passing through the bulkhead into the interior of the ship he took a moment to look around. Surely there must be some sort of activity going on here. The Llmanel didn't have much to go on. Talking about this new posting before had only garnered sideways glances at his last assignment and no one actually could tell him much about this ship. Just hearsay and rumors.
Apparently there was no one here to direct newcomers. So be it. Shrie'keng knew which way it was to the bridge and by extension the commander and XO quarters. He'd just have to head that way. The newcomer turned and started padding down the corridor. Surely the ship couldn't be empty.

Bastion looked the girl in the eyes. Did she wanted to tell what got her on the failship. That she got one of the worst posting for last three years just for doing the right thing? Just so higher-ups could make something hush-hush. Well why the hell not, she thought in the end.

"Long story short," Bastion started and walked backed into the hallway. "I got to stop a mutiny and since something as a mutiny is supposedly absolutely non-existent in our great military I ended up here for last three years. See no one really cares about this ship and what kind of crew it has. But don't worry we are not bunch of criminals and slackers. Not all of us though. The Captain runs this show as tight as possible. But really if you need anything XO is the man, don't bother Captain." Bastion gave a little heads up.

Being in hall she could see another figure walking there. It was a young L'manell man. Since the LSDF Akahar operated on the skeleton crew, Bastion knew all of them. She never saw this man before. Or did she. His face looked a little familiar. She wondered about it a little and then took out her datapad, where she had info given to her about Merril.

She looked at the file and finally noticed. Yesterday when she first saw it she was tired and half-drunk so she just skimmed it through and today morning she just looked at the start where Merril was. But now she saw she could scroll down. Doing so revealed a picture of man from the hallway. Bastion was supposed to pick up two people, not just one.

SLAP Bastion hit her face with right palm upon her realisation. She walked towards the man. "Ugh, hello." She greeted him. "Welcome aboard Soldier Mist. I am Trooper Bastion. I was supposed to greet you at the bulkhead, but well....... well that does not matter. Here we are now."

"Neat!" Merril said with another fanged grin after hearing the short tale of woe. "Could always be worse! Ya could have been discharged dishonorably or something. With all the free time you're making it sound like we've got, I think I'll have to buy a couple bolts of fabric. Maybe I could give lessons, heh."

The sound of the new arrival echoed soon enough, with Bastion turning out to greet him. Merril followed after the mammoth woman, peering around the door gleefully.

"Oh, you're 'bout my height. You Lmanel too?" She asked, flashing another smile embedded with fang.

Shie'keng's posture was probably more relaxed than it probably should have been but he really didn't know who the person addressing him was and they didn't seem to have the brisk step that he had learned meant business.

"Right." Shrie'keng stated more to himself than the Fyunnen. "I hope I have not interrupted anything Trooper Batstion." Looking between Bastion and woman who had asked his house. "Yes. I am of Lmanel." Mist brought his hand up to bend his ear and show the notches that proved his heritage. "Might I know who you are though." His gaze shifted back to Bastion. "And what my place in this pack will be?"

Hakahn slowly stood as a circular floor pattern in front of his desk seemed to light up, holographic displays materializing from the air in front of him as he stood in there center. To three of his sides where each of the video logs from the ill fated Mok'Ro, with the continued live image feed from Keib behind him. Each provided possible theories and fates to the ship's location, none really provided any concrete direction for his mind to contemplate.

"So we have quite a few possibilities before us, let's get the sillier ones out of the way first," Keib said, tapping a pen against his desk.

"They where not abducted by little green men, period, don't bring it up." Was the first sentence out of Hakahn's mouth as he continued to observe the female in the videos, her facial expressions, her voice.

Keib seemed positively crestfallen about the first prospect being dashed but pointed out: "Take a look at the second to last log, the one about the complaining engineers. Listen to her voice." He pointed out, in particular, the stress and the distaste laced in her voice. It was supposed to be a formal report, not a venting box, "Also notice that she's ignoring what other people are saying. They could be valid concerns. I have the feeling she knows about something."

Hakahn furrowed his brow slightly, widening the second log, increasing it's resolution. "About the object they brought aboard possibly? Is there anything not in these logs about it? Scans? Random little bits of text data?"

Keib looked at Greg, who shook his head in reply, "The engineering team went quiet."

A slight frown came over the Fyunnen's face, "Noises in the side passages... parasites maybe?" Keib gave a nod in reply, giving some merit to the theory.

"Other possibilities? Maybe boarders? Piracy? We don't know how far she was out there." He noted as he turned back toward Keib's image hovering in midair.

"That's a given, the Tange area is ripe for salvage since the Mishhu went after it, and any enterprising opportunist could've come along." His eyes went away from his screen and picked up a doll of a Mishhu and shook it at the camera, "Or it could've been Mishhu stragglers who stuck around for more fighting." He gave the doll a stare and tossed the doll away behind him and it landed on a dresser, next to that tacky Phoenix Man! action figure.

"Or it could have been the squids." Nodded Hakahn as he stretched an arm over his head. "But overall I'd say you agree our chances of finding her at her most recent transmission point are slim to none existent. What do we know about the rocks beyond Tange?" He said, sighing to himself quietly at his subordinates odd habits. He ignored them for the most part, Keib's functionality outweighing anything else, although... 'Greg' was borderline.

Keib penned some numbers down onto his screen and made some calculations, tapping away and using his mind for the harder numbers. "If I am to assume that the vessel was blown up, and it simply drifted into space propelled by its death... carry the five, minus eight... Greg, fetch me another cup of tea." He kept on writing estimates and then crunched the numbers, smiling when he reached a good estimate, "It could've drifted about an interstellar light year or two away by now. Otherwise, if it's been staying still it'd be within the Tange system, or just outside the star's border. Thank you Greg." He sipped at his tea and nodded.

He then bought up a star map and penciled in both of his estimates, first a circle around the Tange system, then another, which encircled the entire system, originating at where its distress call was made. "This gives us two very large areas to search." He then finished the rest of his tea in a few quick gulps.

Once again the reasons he hadn't airlocked the insane Lorath came to the surface as his display mirrored Keib's, feeling the urge for his own refreshment the tall Fyunnen walked through the hologram, scooping a small steaming cup off his desk. Turning back around he went over the various displays, the Mok'Ro would be an elusive prey indeed.

He winced slightly as the burning black liquid slid past his lips, "What do we know of as far as possible threats to us in the area?" Hakahn asked, leaning back against his desk lazily.

Greg mumbled a little to Keib, "Hm?" Keib asked in return and was greeted with a prolonged mumble, "Excellent point. Er, anyway," He turned his attention back to Hakahn, "We have our opportunists and salvagers, pirates, mishhu itching for a fight, possibly Yamataians too since the system is currently neutral and the previous occupants were scoured."

A cybernetic command brought up the ship's inventory, its crew, and various estimates for longevity against certain threats along with survival chances. Taking another long sip of his coffee Hakahn's brain began crunching the raw data, "How are our replacements settling in?" He asked, looking back toward Keib's image.

"The ranger and the medic?" The image on the other side of the screen clarified.

"Unless you've acquired a fresh crop of Helashio that I'm not aware of... like last time." Commented Hakahn with some humor.

The reality-impared New Tur'Lista was looking away with a frown before he refocused, "They seem to be alright to me, even with their histories, but everyone here has a story to tell. Trooper Bastion seems happy to show them the ropes."

Hakahn's eye twitched slightly at the mention of 'histories' knowing his own, knowing Keib's, and being reminded of why they had all been dumped in this particular basket of rotten eggs. "Indeed she is." He said grimly.

"I still think there are some new arrivals on their way though. But first, we should get to building a team for the Mok'Ro search, starting with some recon where we got the Distress Signal, and work our way outwards." He shuffled through files of the crew members and passed a select few towards Hakahn.

The files appeared with the person in question's image at the forefront next to various pieces of information about the individual, Hakahn nearly snorted at the various 'offenses' that where listed under the Lmanel female's file, blacksheep they where indeed. "In the very least we have a medic." He said, although he wasn't sure on her capabilities.. despite what was said about her history.

Some of the other files included were of soldiers who'd proven their worth. A Llmanel sniper, hawk aspected and with a strike on his record for heresy, namely, speaking back to an elder. A Fyuunen bombardier who was noted to have an unhealthy obsession for combat, and a Llmanel general infantryman who stood accused of having relations with a neko. There was also a collared helashio who was light on her feet and seemed handy with a shotgun.

"The usual bunch of boots." Keib sighed, rolling his eyes.

"Indeed. The question is.. are they what we need for this?" Said Hakahn before finishing the steaming liquid off and dropping the small cup into the disposal. He had a squad this time in the very least that wasn't composed of a bunch of collared Helashio... though often they proved to be just as effective.

"If we're going to be putting them on a ship and scouring the area for the Mok'Ro, it's a given that they might encounter resistance, as we mentioned." The images of the four soldiers he'd picked plus Merril and Bastion. "If, Goddess forbid, that they do find it, we have a search party already to go, and to deal with whatever's left on the Mok'Ro, perhaps what bought it down."

There were two, maybe three useful spots left on Squad.

Bastion breathed out in relief. It seemed all went well and Mist did not mind being ditched. She smiled at him and lifted her hands, palms up in denying gesture. "No, No, No! You have not interrupted anything. I was just showing Soft Touch the med-bay!" Bastion said. At least it seemed this guy will be polite and she liked that. It was rare on this ship.

"As for your position," she continued and shrugged. "I could not really say. That will be for XO Howler and Captain Braincase to decide. I assume you might be with me in infantry though. Oh I should not forget!" Bastion turned to the side and pointed one hand to Merril. "This is Medic Soft Touch!" She explained and introduced the L'manel girl.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back