• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: LSDF Val'ta [Prologue] - Sing about the Valleys

LSDF Val'ta, Deck 3, Iron Church

Ashlinn was most certainly not expecting Mirage to take her up on Ghosts suggestion, or her request for a bit more instruction on what she should avoid doing... The larger Fyunnen's physique and rippling wall of muscle made Ash's eyes widen slightly as she glanced to Ghost as if saying 'If she pastes me across the floor, this is your fault' Ash may be a Nekovalkyrja, but she was under no illusions that she was the pinnacle of her race. She'd wait for Mirage to stretch and motion that she was ready, with a low bow Ash raised her arms and resumed her stance and put her on her best mask of serenity as she studied the larger woman.

There wasn't a warning when she moved, just a shifting of balance as she leaned forwards and snapped a feint towards Mirages left inside knee. Since it was a feint she would retract the leg and use the momentum to lift her up to bring her other leg about in a snap kick at her head. the bad part for the Fyunnen was the Neko's kicks could impact like a mack truck, The good news was she actually wasn't trying to hit Mirage.

LSDF Val'ta, Gym

It still pulled at her, calling to her arms and her feet and her tail, especially. A fluidity existed in combat that Elm found her body longing for. Strangely, it reminded her of singing. Watching them unfocused, she wondered again just what it was that called to her about it. Was it because this was all she knew, or because she had known this before the collar? Had she?

Suddenly it occurred to her that she should ask. Surely, the records were there. Yes, they were sealed. Her past, anyway, was something that she might never know again. But as to what replaced it, there was a chance that it could be on record. An interesting thought.

Ghost crouched off to the side, the delimma forgotten for a while as she watched her companions spar.

She caught others watching from the corner of her eye, and looked at them. One of them had something on her shoulder that Ghost didn’t immediately recognize. Biology was not her strong suit.

Still crouched back on her heels, she lifted a hand to greet them—or just to acknowledge that she had seen them, so that perhaps they would see her.

Last edited:
LSDF Val'ta, Deck Two, Bridge
"All signs green. FTL positive." Aviator Jil'ha spoke into their headset, looking at the avionics data. Admittedly, while it was clearly presented it was a bit confusing - the sequence was quite complex. "Seems like all's good, and our travel will take a bit. The guy who designed the thing is keeping an eye on our engines."

"Excellent. I'll be downstairs then." The captain replied. "Not much to really be alert for in friendly space." Porrim pressed a button on their chair, and it could be heard decoupling from the floor beneath it and sliding underneath, back towards her room. "I'll be in my bunk. Gimme a yell if you need me."

Jil'ha clicked her tongue. "Roger that." She replied with a sigh, looking over to Er'red, pulling the mic away from her mouth. "She's bored, probably."

LSDF Val'ta, Deck Three, Observation Bar
Walking into the Observation deck, the first thing seen was the large window looking out the bow of the Val'ta, down the nose of the vessel - the tip of the point obscured by the shape of the hull. The point was still there though, and the view - for the moment - seemed to be quite busy. Other LSDF vessels were kilometres away in space, moving silently through the void to and from. A Harvester-class went into FTL about fifty kilometres away from the Val'ta - leaving a trail in its wake.

The stars were there. They were always there. They were not going anywhere. What was also not going anywhere was the sitting space around this observation window. A comfortable looking bar. There was a depression in the floor lined with bench seating with a good view of the window, with tables in the middle, light reading stored under them, and place mats for drinks.

Off to the left of the window was the bar itself. A solid looking thing, carved from one large piece of stone and placed inside the interior - or perhaps created for that interior with a space on the back wall to get behind it - enforced by pointy Data Strip. Morale officers who knew how to serve a good drink were allowed behind the bar, as well as cooking staff. Drinks were given on a merit basis. Generally, the better performers got the better drinks - but you could always get some water and watch the ever shifting view.

Off to the right in the bar were more tables and chairs, while a space of floor immediately in front of the door was clear, with the Val'ta's logo proudly displayed in the middle in stone. All throughout on the walls, Data Strip was available if soldiers wanted to loaf on the data pad and read the news or some funny pictures.

Once the ship went FTL though - who cared about reading? The view was beautiful! So many stars and things and clouds in space streaking by, providing a constant and colourful stream of input. A couple of soldiers were already sitting down together and watching the view, treating it like an enormous multicoloured fireplace with fire coming out of every edge into their eyes - kept back by something alleging to be glass; Looked through it like it, tapped your finger against it like it, breathed on it and wrote silly things in the condensation like it too.

LSDF Val'ta, Deck Three, Gymnasium
In the spar between Ashlinn and Mirage, they had found a space of floor with a blue mat beneath them. A white circle inside a white square marked the battle lines for the spar. There was one other space off to the other side like this, but it was occupied by people doing stretches, who were distracted by the spar going on.

The mood of the crowed seemed to be quietly amused by what was going on - A nekovalkyrja fighting a fyunnen? People usually stuck with their own when it came to a good scrap. It may have all been in good fun for now but a couple amongst the crowd wanted things to escalate, Yamataians and Lorath barracking hard for their sides in particular.

LSDF Val'ta, Deck Five, Engine Room
"You can't play a digital game on an analogue computer!" The engineer Michael was talking to stormed off, frustrated.

"You totally can!" Michael retorted as they stomped away, and left him to his own devices. He heaved a sigh and deflated a little. He turned around and kept an eye on the engines. Aiesu was responsible for picking them and he never quite got how the engine worked - with energy, and stuff. He was more of a combustion man and a designer for the mechanically unspeakable, as well as doing the aerodynamics.

His eyes scanned the room, doing a quick rounds of each engine's readings before he saw JiJi. His face lit up and he walked over. "Hey," he said, speaking Trade. "Speak Trade? Or-" he tapped something on his shoulders, a pair of buttons which projected something just below his neck - currently a flickering cloud, "-do I need to use these?"

Below, the hologram coalesced into Ly'thir text, translating what he said. It seemed to be a two-sided translator, with a written Trade input on his side, and his output facing JiJi.

The view was something he had never seen before; something that Menelik Berhane doubted anyone he had grown up with in La Hanya had ever seen before in their lives. It was dazzling and strange, filled with the unknown and exotic in ways similar to the ship he was on now. And much like this new ship, Menelik loved the view here and more. His first time in Funky City had been interesting despite not enjoying the choking, smoggy streets of the megacity, but he loved all the new people had gotten a chance to meet and talk to. And by The Creator, the Val'ta was even better!

Menelik's mental monologue paused long enough for him to look at the shapely... backside of a passing Lmanel, his face coloring before he shook it off and went back to looking out into space. Yes, he was thrilled to meet all these new people who were so different from what he was used to, but he had a responsibility here, right? He couldn't be going around with his eyes locked on every shapely backside or sizable pair of breasts that crossed his paths, he had a duty to Nepleslia and her allies here! He had to set a good example and represent a Nepleslia that was proud and thoughtful, not one that was like... Menelik shook his head and frowned, remember the antics of that so-called man at the meeting earlier. If he hadn't been across the auditorium, he'd have done his best to make the pervert stop. But He'd been on the opposite side from the man, and hadn't done anything.

Taking a deep breath, Menelik let himself think about more pleasurable things. The Val'ta was a wonderful ship, and the Lorath honestly seemed like nice people. Hell, the Fyunnen even reminded him of some of the women from La Hanya he had seen before. And he had to admit, all the Lorath women were exceedingly attractive. Not that he was a xenophile or anything. With a shake of his head, Menelik tried to clear away the blush darkening his cheeks as he headed towards the bar to grab a glass of water.

It seemed this time Akemi's attempt to get another piece of Aran'ya's lips with his was met with a little more resistance. The surprise factor had disappeared -- now she was expecting him to keep trying just about every time they interacted. He missed the target as a result when she squirmed out of his grasp, instead being rewarded with the consolation prize of her long, shapely L'manel ear instead. It actually sent a brief tingle down her neck -- in retrospect she probably should have let the Neko kiss her outright, because if he kept that up Widow might actually start enjoying his affections, and we just couldn't have that.

The Medic covered it up well, though, staring at his hand rather incredulously. "Mmmf. You've got plenty of stones already, pulling a stunt like that, cat," she began with smirk, reaching up to toy with her various hand-crafted necklaces. "Here's a tip... Lorath do appreciate offerings of precious stones and metals as payment. It's a little more than currency though, or even baubles to impress the ladies: to some it's a symbol of who you are and what you have accomplished through hard work and sacrifice." This last part was a reference to the antiquated tradition of P'enn, which she adhered to, considering many of the things she was wearing contained semi-precious stones that represented people and places she wished to remember and carry with her.

"I'll admit we got here in good time," Aran'ya begrudgingly admitted as she walked inside the impressive room, scanning across the windows before finding the bar that still had seats left, hoping most were too distracted with the beautiful view to pay too much attention to Akemi's over-the-top entrance. "Look, I'm an insect-bond L'manel... these things are not going to get me much of anywhere, except down from a tree less painfully," Widow grumbled, folding her diminutive set of feathery black wings he was staring at back where they liked to rest an inch or so off her back. "If you want some babe who can grow her wings to fly, you're looking in the wrong place. Go bother Ny'za; she can at least glide with them."

Last edited:

"Whaaaat?" Akemi answered, slightly taken aback. "I just meant I thought you might like flying with me specifically because your wings are too small to do so on your own. I don't care if you can fly or not. I think they're cute. Besides, being able to run on walls is cool. I wish could do all that stuff." The Neko scanned the room very briefly before setting his eyes back on Aran'ya. "So, whaddya gonna order? Pick anything. It'll be my treat."

The soldier was far more interested in his new buddy than the light show going on around them. Space was nothing special to him. It wasn't going anywhere. It might as well just be a really fancy screen saver. Messing around with her was way more entertaining. It practically seemed like he could do no wrong by her or at least nothing wholly wrong. Plus despite all his fooling he did genuinely want to make a friend. If he didn't he wouldn't have made the attempt to show some decency by resisting the urge to ask her if she'd be choosing an aphrodisiac. Mentioning that was too strange not to want to follow up on.

Last edited:

Around this time is when the large bulk of Menelik sided up to the bar behind Akemi and ordered politely ordered the water the best he could in Ly'thir. But he seemed far more interested in Akemi and Aran'ya than anything else. He'd only recognized either of them from their shenanigans when he had gotten closer, and he wasn't at all appreciative of the Neko's forwardness. Or attitude, for that matter.

"Its probably not any of my business, Sir, but I don't think the nice lady here particularly likes your company or the way you've been trying to force your way into her's or any other woman's pants since you've gotten here." Mene started, sounding as non-threatening as possible. He really didn't want things to escalate, but by The Creator, he couldn't abide by the way this Neko treated everyone around him! A large hand came up to rest at the man's shoulder, its owner continuing. "So why don't you get some water to cool down, and take a look at the view? It's pretty something."

Akemi cocked his head back and stared at the man's hand with squinted eyes and a sour expression as if it was a giant tarantula or some ugly alien pest he wanted to remove with extreme prejudice but needed to be careful with or it might leave a gross stain. "I'm cool as a cucumber buddy, I'm just having fun with my new best friend." Naturally Akemi was unable to stave off his desire to throw his arm around Aran'ya's shoulder in yet another gamble. "She simply happens to be a much more captivating sight and touch than whatever's out there. Nevertheless, clearly being an intellectual exemplar of her people given her profession, she likely wanted us to contemplate the view together anyway."

Last edited:
LSDF Val'ta, Deck 3, Duel 1 Let's Rock

As the brief delay elapsed Mirage found that there wasn't any particular excitement to the event. Perhaps the crowd around her had stolen any positive outlook on the encounter. She just couldn't bring herself to deny the young woman the opportunity to learn something. After all what was this mission for if not learning?

The sudden strike as they entered the arena was expected and the feint was me with a quick shift of Mirage's legs that would have soaked the force of the blow that never came in the flesh of her thigh. This subtle movement gave Mirage more time to react to the real assault, a high kick aimed for her head. While still a more natural creature than the Nekovalkyrja she fought, Mirage found that she was was somewhat disappointed.

Her reinforced nervous system fired, signals coursing through her to activate muscle groups that even her caste bred for hundreds of generations to be engines of war did not have. Smaller groups of muscles set her arm into motion, much quicker than natural her hand coming up just as the more powerful slower cords of muscle engaged stopping the Neko's leg dead. The final bit of the chain of signals clamped her fingers over the Neko's ankle in a vice like grip.

Straightening Mirage tugged the Neko up off the ground, knowing that externally it would have seemed a single fluid motion, almost casual in execution. After all combat was partially a stage, even when you were fighting for your life. A fearful enemy made mistakes, make them think you're better than you are all of that. Old adages ground into a young mind.

With the Neko's leverage removed Mirage was fairly certain that she could handle any retribution that the smaller girl could muster, sending a questing hand for the back of the Neko's head which when caught would leave Ashlinn helpless.

Ashlinn found herself stretching further than she intended as Mirage caught her leg and then pulled her up into the air, upside down no less! Her mind was racing and in a moment of panic she coiled her muscles together and swung herself up using her captured leg as the pivot point to try and swung under Mirages grip and bury and elbow in her solar plexus. It was a far shot and she was at the disadvantage of being upside down. But at this moment, keeping herself from being immobilized any further was her plan. And it currently kept Mirage from gaining the back of her neck, which was a plus for the smaller Neko.

The growing crowd was background noise for her and, she didn't actually get any joy out of hearing cheers from other Neko's, She honestly wasn't here to prove one side better than the other, he was learning rather swiftly that her lack of training was going to be her handicap.

LSDF Val'ta, Deck 3, Duel 1 Let's Rock

Being in control of Ashlinn's position in space it was unfortunately rather easy for Mirage to nullify the sudden counter aimed at her solar plexus by turning Ashlinn's entire body in the direction opposing the angle of the strike. Instead of a needle like jab of pain and a shortness of breath, Mirage was instead rewarded with a firm tap against her abdominal wall. In this instant Mirage once again felt a pang of guilt. She was fighting a girl who had been alive for only a fraction of her own lifespan, one that had admittedly been spent on countless hours of mock battles, either in the confines of an arena or with the overture of being actively lethal in surprise live fire training supersizes. Few of her scars had been earned through personal folly.

An unnaturally powerful experience behemoth fighting and fledgling of a Yamataian purpose built soldier. While others might find no compassion for the small feline figure she held inverted due to their allegedly soulless nature, Mirage saw no purpose in continuing the already awkward encounter. As such she inquired while holding the Neko out at arm's length, well beyond the smaller girl's reach, "Would you mind conceding defeat? I can wrestle you into a hopeless position, or leave you to exhaust yourself. I believe the lesson of leverage, size, and weight has been made more than abundantly clear at this point. Your kind is better suited to hit and run on the flanks of larger targets than a straight fight as you tried."

Hopefully the so far pleasant Nekovalkyrja wouldn't have too much pride.

LSDF Val'ta, Deck 3 Duel 1 Let's Rock

From her crouch watching the fight, Ghost rolled through what she would have done in the Neko’s situation. It certainly wouldn’t have been the torso—probably the meatiest part of Mirage—that would have felt Ghost’s fists. It would have been Mirage’s elbow, in that little nook where the muscles joined. Even a Fyuunen’s arm would go ragdoll limp, if a canny fighter hit them there. The trick to winning a fight with a larger fighter was to disable them swiftly.

She rose, stretching her tail. Then she put her hands on her hips, relaxing her shoulders. They were too tense. She had tensed, watching the exchange, like a vraltak watching its pup fumble with tree-branches. The urge to just take it away and do it herself gripped her. Thoughtfully, she rubbed at her cheek, wondering if she looked flushed. Probably not.

“All your body is a weapon,” she coached, suddenly. Why not? Who cared? A normal Fyuunen wouldn’t take advice from a helashio, but maybe the Neko would. “Every joint is a weak spot.”

She received an odd look from a nearby Lmanel and ignored it, though it curled her tail anyway.

Ashlinn found herself dangling, upside down like the hanged man in the picture of an old tarot she'd once seen as 'ancient history' or something about superstition and people. As it stood she'd cross her arms under her breasts as she swung, her pony tail and bangs bent towards the floor while she grinned upwards at Mirage, her tail swaying along with her, an ear twitched slightly, the only visible sign of her annoyance as that too swiftly vanished and she tilted her head to regard Ghost with a smile, "I was curious how the direct route would have went. Obviously... Not so well." She did pause and cleared her throat, "Though.. In the future, perhaps grabbing my leg like the and hauling me up maaaay not be a good idea." She'd lift her other leg up and brush it along Mirages wrist, "The same fulcrum and lever maneuver I tried on your head would have been doubly more effective on your wrist.... I didn't want to put a friend in the infirmary with a broken wrist because of a game.." She thought of this as a game, moreso because her life hadn't been threatened, "I yield the floor to you, Mirage." She even managed an upside down regulation bow of respect, "And, Hai, Ghost. Next time I'll put your suggestion into practice." She sounded way too cheery about that thought.

LSDF Val'ta, Deck 3, Iron Church (Peaceful)

Smiling apologetically, Mirage was quick to work to right the Nekovalkyrja, a hand finding the smaller woman's back smoothly reorienting them so as to be upright once more before she placed her on her feet. It seemed kinder rather than leaving Ashlinn to fall to the mat or have to right herself with their natural capacity to float. In spite of the disappointed grumbles Mirage felt rather content, she hadn't had to draw out the engagement which could have potentially injured either of them. Slipping her shirt back on Mirage started on the buttons as she enjoyed the contented knowledge that she wouldn't have to keep fighting an ally.

"Thank you for your patience Ashlinn. Perhaps in the future we can try again, and you can try out alternate strategies... Now however doesn't seem like an opportune time to be fighting." Looking around the room gauging the mood of the crowd she added, "We're on our way to our first deployment, a planet that was evacuated during the Second Mishhuvurthyar War... We have no idea what we'll find there. I don't think either of use would want to go into the unknown injured. We all need to be fresh for this." Once again she smiled apologetically in an attempt to be polite before finishing, "Sorry to disappoint."

Ghost felt suddenly anxious.

She had conveniently shoved the mission into the back of her mind, but it had apparently traveled its way down to her guts in the meantime. Looking around, she noted the Lmanel who had noticed her earlier, and raised her hand as though she knew him. Glancing to her two current companions to make sure they weren’t really focused on her—which they didn’t seem to be—she approached him.

At the last minute, she redirected right past him into the locker room, where she began to gather her things.

Elm wanted to go find some bunk somewhere that wouldn’t put her in the middle of the ship’s evening traffic, or morning rush. These people would be here whenever she wanted, Ghost thought to herself, and easily found using the ship’s systems. Right now, she wanted to go and put what few things she owned in all the appropriate places, and she especially didn’t want to worry over the fact that for the second time in her short memory she would be first-in on a situation where she had no idea what to expect.

Or that she had basically told a green soldier to hurt another one.

She sat down and began to pull on her socks and boots, ignoring the people horsing back and forth around her.

Last edited:

Aran'ya gave the Nekovalkyrja a slight smirk as she slipped into the seat and placed an arm on the countertop in the way an expert would. "Ehh... well we each have something unique about each other, don't we. I guess I could book my reservation with Akemi airlines now," she began, before slipping into that familiar soft yet sarcastic tone that let you know she was relaxed. "Far in advance, mind you -- and, right after I examine this in-flight bar for a good downer. You've literally got me climbing the walls with your antics..." She could also pick up on the fact for all his bluster the foreigner probably just liked her because she was the only one taking him even halfway seriously. Even the L'manel herself wasn't quite sure why she didn't just outright leave the rude flying cat in the dust after the first moment, but maybe deep down... she liked the attention. It was more than she had in years.

Seeing as things over here were merit based, the Medic moved to inquire if her status as Trooper qualified her for a small cup of such a draught. Goodness knows the survivors of the Akahar were known to abuse such things, and did so with a certain unspoken approval. They had seen what passed for Hell in this lifetime, the things that the rampant Structol infection could do beyond many of her abilities to deal with. She couldn't help but think of Lazarus' eerieness and what the unknown fate of Merril was as she looked at her reflection in the data strip. Was this ship and mission also some kind of grand science project? At least there was no mystery and secrecy about its objective, outside of what could potentially lie in wait for them in Tange and beyond.

Lost a bit in thought, suddenly Widow felt Akemi's arm sliding across her shoulders and the imposing figure of a Nepleslian seemingly twice as tall as him moving to defend her from the controversial Neko. He was built like a brick wall, probably containing ID-SOL DNA somewhere in the mix her scientific mind thought to itself. Her reaction to the events, however, was smooth and cool as she gave the man-cat a deadpan look with hazel-tinted irises and awaited her glass to be filled. She didn't immediately remove the hand, though. "It doesn't take an expert biochemist to know he needs something stronger than that to relax himself," she remarked in an off-the-cuff manner mostly directed towards to her erstwhile rescuer, Menelik. Maybe having some good old fashioned competition would bring out Akemi's better traits?

Last edited:

"Yeah! So let's all sit and drink," Akemi quickly replied, hopping on a seat next to Aran'ya. "You wouldn't hit a seated opponent!" he said abruptly as if panicked, pointing towards Menelik with his index finger. Then he turned to the counter and scoffed at Aran'ya's inquiry. "Get this lady the most expensive drinks and food you serve. I'll cover it. And if that means bribing you for something you don't regularly sell then so be it." With that important task done he looked back at Menelik. "I'll buy you something or just plain off if you'll leave us be."

Last edited:

"I!" Menelik was taken aback, both by how Akemi's behavior still... was scandalous and the fact that he seemed to act as if he were entitled. He was speechless for a second, just blinking at the neko and his victim for a second; and then Akemi actually tried to bribe him. It was as if the cat was implying that -he- was the disturbing, unwelcome one here. That didn't sit right with Menelik, not in the slightest: he didn't like Akemi's attitude, and he especially didn't like being bribed, god dammit!

"First of all, don't you ever try to bribe me. I'm not some corrupt Black Faction low life, got it?" The large man actually reached over to grab Akemi's shoulder, and haul the Neko to his feet. "And secondly, I don't think the lady here-" he looked over at the Lorath woman, a slight blush across his cheeks, "Sorry sir, I don't mean to patronize." His eyes locked back on Akemi. "I don't think she should trust any drinks bought for her by someone like you, who's been talking like some arrogant fool with only sex on their mind all day."

Ash touched down on the ground with Mirages assistance and grinned up at her, none the worse for wear, if anything she was taking both Mirages and elms suggestions to heart as she glanced around, flicked her tail slightly and made dismissing motions with her hands, "Show's over folks." She'd glance around again for a few moments and seemed lost in thought as she turned to address Ghost... to find the girl was gone, "Well, talk about putting ones name to use." Turning around to try and spot the smaller Helashio was like trying to find a blade of grass in a yard needing to be weeded. She scuttled off to swap back into her uniform, locked in idle thought over the small sparring session and how things could have gone, or how to best not to get caught off guard the way she had. In the end she was drying her hair off with a towel, and letting it hang as she grabbed her bag and exited the changing space to find Mirage once more, "Hmn, should we go find Ghost and all three of us bunk together? Or are there separate sections for each of us?"

"Well if I'm so foolish doesn't that mean I'm harmless as any danger I pose could easily be anticipated and avoided?" Akemi asked haughtily while crossing his arms and tilting his head up and slightly to the side. "Plus now you're implying I'd drug someone and this guy would be complicit. On top of that you're suggesting this marvel of Lorath beauty and veteran of unspeakable horrors from the legendary Akahar is incapable of adequately voicing her feelings let alone defending herself. There's a reason it's called a matriarchy sir. I am shocked and appalled and shocked again. Also, you're fuckin' big." Akemi quickly spun Aran'ya's seat around and hid crouched behind her. "Get him away from me!" Naturally being at eye level with it the Neko stared for a good moment at the L'manel's ample ass before looking up at Menelik as if to imply he wouldn't be getting any of it.

Last edited:
RPG-D RPGfix
Back