• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: DION Senate [Proposal] Alliance Against The Mishhuvurthyar

"This I have no problem with," Davis said. "So we use existing facilities and a simple brown outfit to designate militia members. Guns will be sent to these centers, guns still covered by DARTs legislation, but restrictions loosened somewhat to permit weapons capable of injuring or killing Mishu. I do not mind sending obsolete power armor units modified for this purpose but stripped of capabilities that would cause mass damage if abused. Their protective capabilities alone would make it worth it."

He brought up a list of the topics for debate with what seemed to be the agreed upon conclusions.

"This is just for our knowledge as we continue this debate, as well as the current version of what would be voted on at this moment, were we to begin voting."

Proposal:

1. Reestablish peace with the Yamatai Star Empire via treaty and create a military agreement. (Nothing discussed so far)

2. Offer attractive/agreeable terms of surrender to Red military forces and end the fighting; Protect Red civilians. Any future Red violence from either side would be treated as a crime, not as a military matter. (Offer temporary amnesty to Reds in exchange for military service, discreetly ending the war and sparing their cripplied forces from wasteful annihilation. Work out the details after this war with the SMN is over.)

3. Diplomatically encourage Yamatai to secure a peace treaty with the UOC. (Nothing discussed)

4. Create a joint forces military network in which SMODIoN, the Star Army of Yamatai, and UOC Peacekeepers can work together to fight the Mishhuvurthyar. (Nothing discussed)

5. Repeal forced registration of weapons for Nepleslian Citizens, to allow them to more easily arm themselves against invading Mishhuvurthyar. (On a limitied basis, we are loosening restrictions. We are forming a militia system to help the citizens train and protect themselves.)

"With that update, I propse we begin discussions on the first topic," Davis said. "It is linked to 4 as well."

"Here's the treaty they sent us last year. If it's agreeable, we could sign it and instantly check that item off the list. If not, I think we should write a similar one that suits us."

Calero looked over the list. "The only two problems I have are with the Reds and the DARTS repeal. We can't sacrifice the resources or the political capital to pay the Reds off. I have few enough qualms with them to offer them the chance of a cease-fire for the course of the war, but rewarding them for starting a war is not something I can abide with any ease.

"Also, we're forming a militia body, with weapons issued by the State, not freeing up any man on the street to purchase an armory of anti-PA weaponry. I've already gone over the reasons for my support of the DARTS legislation, and I feel no reason to do so again."

"We don't have to pay the Reds off, we just need to give them a promise to stop killing them off--and mean it, so they can go back to being Nepleslian citizens again," John explained. "And in fact, not only would that not cost a dime, but we'd save millions in military spending, which we could use against the NMX instead."

The biological hand rubbed against the tired senators forehead as he listened to the talks continued. He hadn't quite developed the patience for this quite yet, but he had been told that he was kept around for his differing perspective. Whatever the reason, this was getting to be a bit messy.

"Can I make a suggestion? Can we have the deal with the reds and this alliance deal seperated for discussion? I think it'd be nice to not have to waste resources on subduing the reds, but working out the details of that is worthy of its own forum, as opposed to trying to squeeze it in with the rest of this proposal."

The Sky Marshall thought for a moment before nodding.

"Very well. I motion the arguments be separated and all further discussion be devoted to topic 1, alliance with Yamatai, and, should alliance be approved, topics 3 and 4."

Davis cocked an eyebrow as he spoke.

"Well," he let out airily, his voice tinged with an awareness of the irony of the situation. "It seems our people have reached an impasse on which is the better flavor-- continued distaste for Yamataians and particularly the Neko, or an alliance against a common enemy. Considering the fact that ... for lack of a better phrase... the collective asses of the universe are on the line, I see no reason why at least a temporary alliance with our neighboring nation would not be the most logical approach to our dilemma. Opinions?"

"I object to the motion, and motion to close by vote. I cast my vote in support of the original proposal."

"Y'know, for someone who keeps tooting their own horn about dealing with reds for some amount of time, you've an awfully naive view that it's that simple to just say "ALL IS FORGIVEN" for a group that's been an enemy for so long. Are we to send a message to the rest of the world that we can be intimidated into hasted action whenever something threatens us? I've no problem with figuring out some deal with them, but we can't vote on it when almost nothing satisfactory has been hammered out." Drake's screen flickered as something moved across it and his hands followed whatever the blur that flew by was.

It returned to normal a few moments later. "Alright, so a temporary alliance with Yamatai? Eh... No one likes it, but I think we can all stomach it so long as it's nothing binding. A simple coordination between our actions should suffice for the most part, and I don't see a need to be surrendering non-vital information on each other. As soon as the NMX threat is over, there should be no longer any need for such an arrangement." There was a slight pause. "Humanitarian efforts and such is another matter that can be dealt with when it comes up. Assuming we all live to see it."

Davis looked over at the Senator known as John.

"Senator, you're free to cast your vote as you see fit, but until we have everything handled, then I will vote against you, if only for the sake of not passing laws without consideration for their consequences."

Davis tallied his "NO" vote aside the "YES" vote.

"The debate and voting period is still open," he added. "I approve of a temporary alliance with Yamatai as well, but I would like to include an extension of mutual safety when ships travel through each other's star systems, as well as sharing of military resources. Resources meaning ships and numbers, not technology. We KNOW the NMX are knocking on our door, and we know of their intent. There really is no reason to wait until they annihilate Yamatai before we act. We would simply lose a valuable ally against this impending threat."

There was a slight 'thud' that could be audible as Regnier's screen flickered. It refocused to him leaning on one hand.

"Ugh, fine, if we're forcing a vote already on an unfinished, unpolished proposal, I'm going to have to vote "NO" as well... Goddamnit, John, it's your proposal, can't you just elaborate on what you were thinking or did this happen in the course of three minutes?"

Laj Vinross Yu leaned back into his seat, tapping his index fingers together lightly as he mulled over the proposal, as well as the comments of the other senators. The Delsaurian senator, jet black hair slicked back smoothly, weighed the pros and cons silently...giving special attention to more particular pros.

"After giving the proposal some thought, Delsauria will cast a vote of YES to the proposal. All of these secondary issues can be dealt with when the larger problem is addressed."

"I would like to add, however, that I am also in agreement with Sky Marshall Davis with the possibility of sharing resources and protection of vessels, both military and trade between our two nations. Right now, it is our industrial capability that will be handling the bulk of an impending war; not our ability to negotiate. We need to secure safe, reliable methods with which to expand and invigorate that industry if we hope to succeed."

"I am also a little...skeptical about the plan to create a joint task force between Nepleslian and Yamatai. Two different cultures with varying regulations and standards...I feel that the two nations are very capable of simply communicating with each other to coordinate aggressive and defensive strategies, and we should exercise these skills instead of dealing with a needlessly complex universal task force. Other than these two points, I feel the proposal encompasses the immediate needs, while finer details can be solved without the constriction of all the red tape."

"We currently sit at a 2-2 vote. Although I have voted 'no', it was only on a measure of technicality. We must move this issue forward. Therefore, I will consider the position of the Senator from Delsauria a worthy reason to change my vote, lest other, more convincing arguments arise."

"That sounds good," Whitman nodded. "Let's wrap it up."

"Alright, he does make a good point, I'd be willing to change my vote if those two stipulations are made. That of course being that we share resources and protection, but not creating a joint task force which will only drag us down for reasons already stated."

"There is no mention of a joint task force in the original proposal, only a joint forces network...for communication and tactical planning."

"Pardon me." The voice of Roy Garza filtered through the room, unheard in a very long time due to an extended vacation taken by the Senator.

"The only problems I have with the proposed treaty are the issues with the Reds, which I will leave out of the discussion for now, and the issue of gun control in Nepleslia." The senator paused for a moment. "Correction, the proposed course of action in dealing with the latter issue."

"This sounds like a very half-assed solution to a very trivial problem. If our citizens wish their rights on firearms to be expanded, give them these rights, after a required term of serving in the military. It ties up resources by taking bodies off the street, putting them in a militia, and giving them peashooters and body armor to defend against Powered Armors, not to mention devoting military personnel to train the proposed militias."

"Moving onto the main issue, I fully support an alliance between our nation and Yamatai, as long as the terms of such an alliance do not infringe on our sovereignty in any major way. When you open your arms to embrace someone, you're also opening yourself up to a knife in the gut."

"That being said, Nepleslia Prime will vote YES in favor of this proposed alliance. How two nations fundamentally different in military doctrine will cooperate effectively, I do not know. But it doesn't hurt to have more friends backing you up at the bar counter."

As the votes came in, the Sky Marshall's figure eased softly into his chair, a subtle indicator of just how much stress this proposal had on the man.

But it was all over now, and the Premier allowed himself a smile of relief as he uttered these historic words:

"It is with great pleasure then, that with a vote of 3-2, I state that this proposal passes. It is my sincere hope that this alliance is accepted by our neighbors and that our mutual needs finally bring peace to this universe."

He gave a few seconds for the impact to sink in before he continued.

"With Rok'Veru under siege, I pray for the men and women on that planet, as well as the safety of the Imperium. Let us not waste any time defending our nation."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back