• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Senate: Passed Proposal: Unified Law of Yamatai Star Empire, YE 30

Communication from Yaichiro:

Very good. I find all those to be very sound ideas, Taisho, and support them.

Clan-based security such as the Ketsurui Samurai are protected the same as a Police Force, as stated.

I must wonder though, will Sprites who have already served the Empire also need to take this test, or be exempt?

A reply arrived from Taiie:

Excellent,

Thank you also for reassuring me on article eleven.

If they serve a full term of duty and are honourably discharged with a civic information packet downloaded that should serve as enough for citizenship. If they desire it before they are subject to the test. Does that sound agreeable?

Signed,
Princess Shimizu Akina
taisho_1_tiny.gif

Taisho, Fourth Fleet

Another reply:

I believe Geshrin children born to parents, and that are under the age of 12 should be exempted and eligible to be added as citizens. The same should be applied to Yamataians. If either uses accelerated growth towards maturity, they should be evaluated individually.

Now, with the newest model of Nekovalkryja life becoming prominent in several areas, they should be addressed separately. Due to the fact the NH-29 child grows to maturity within standard three months, they should be exempt only until their first birthday.

In the case of minority races, the registry will keep file of their standard maturity and assign a uniform age after which they are no longer eligible for immediate citizenship from one or more parents.

Uniformly, special cases can be evaluated by the registry authority.

Signed,
Princess Shimizu Akina
taisho_1_tiny.gif

Taisho, Fourth Fleet

Okay...how about this then? This will be replace Article 2, Section 3:

3. Citizenship to the YSE is not obtainable by birth alone. To become a citizen, those applying for citizenship must participate in an interview, download a civic information packet, and take a written or oral test. If the applicant lacks a digitized brain, they will recieve study materials, and take the same test after a designated amount of time to study.

The following exemptions exist:

Geshrin children born to parents, at least one of which is a citizen, that are under the age of 12 should be exempted and eligible to be added as citizens. The same should be applied to Yamataians. If either uses accelerated growth towards maturity, they should be evaluated individually.

Sprites who have served a full term of duty in the Star Army of Yamatai and are honourably discharged with a civic information packet downloaded automatically become full citizens.

Due to the fact the NH-29 child grows to maturity within standard three months, they are only exempt only until their first birthday.

In the case of minority races, the registry will keep file of their standard maturity and assign a uniform age after which they are no longer eligible for immediate citizenship from one or more parents.

Article 2, Section 4 will become:

4. A citizen is an official member of the Empire, while a plebian is not. Plebeians include willingly conquered members of other nations, and unregistered Geshrin (Proposal 3, Item 4). Those once owned by Citizens or Corporations owned by Citizens now hold Plebian status.

Article 3, Section 4 will become:

4. Every plebian has the right to apply for citizenship

Two replies, one audio and one text, came at approximately the same time:

Faye Kikoru said:
I find nothing wrong with these article changes. I support it completely. Um... thank you for your time..?

Valen Sasorix said:
Most of these changes seem alright to me. I wonder, though, about Article 3.6 on the business grants... Is it possible for military personnel to obtain such a grant and remotely control a civilian business while still serving in the military?

(OOC: I would like to note that 'plebeian' is misspelled several times in the articles as 'plebian'.)

Hanako:

I vote for all changes but the new Article 4, which I vote against.

I also motion for a change: That "9. Citizens no longer have the right to own living property" is deleted from the rights section as this is not a right, it is a restriction. If put into another section, it needs to be changed from "living property" to "sapient beings."

I also motion for a change to expand "own thoughts and mind" to "own thoughts, mind, and exclusive control of any backup copies thereof."

Communications from Yaichiro:

There is nothing to stop this from applying to Stay Army Personnel as well. We are citizens too, Sasorix-san. And thank you, Kikoru-san.

Hanako-Taisa, while I support your changes, I do not vote for the deletion of Article Four. If Yamatai is to continue on its progressive trend, we must recognize that all life, as long as it intends us no harm, has the right to flourish. The point of Article Four is to guarantee that neutral beings we encounter have a defined set of rights, as they currently have absolutely none under our laws--something I feel is a grave flaw in the current legal system of our Empire.

OOC: I've seen both spellings used, and find both on Google Search...are both spellings accurate?

Hanako said:
It is no Empire's place to write laws for the people of other nations. We can only write laws for our own people.

We can, however, dictate how our agencies and people will treat those people should they encounter them. That is the intention of Article 4. To recognize a universal set of basic rights for sapient beings which is recognized by the Empire.

While amending it is something I'm willing to do within reason, I vote AGAINST the complete removal of Article 4.

(OOC: Ah, okay. Firefox told me that it was a misspelling. If you see it elsewhere as a legitimate spelling, then I suppose is correct.)

A reply arrived from Taiie:

I'm satisfied with this, Shosa. If there is anything else I think of, or my office notes I'll send a communication your way.

Signed,
Princess Shimizu Akina
taisho_1_tiny.gif

Taisho, Fourth Fleet

Arigatou, Taisho.

Everyone, here is what we have so far. Note the removal of 3:9, the addition of 6:12, and the modifications of 3:1 and 4:1 as recommended by Hanako-Taisa.

Are there any further modifications that are required?

Modifications:

Original additions will be in green in the new version, additions from discussion will be yellow in the new version, removals will be in red text in the original version.

This Article is unchanged:

1. Background Information and Notes

Military Laws will not be included within the Unified Law (Proposal 63, Item 1).

Laws passed are not retroactive (Proposal 31, Item 1).

Old version of Article 2, New version of Article 2:

2. Citizenship

Any person who wishes to become a citizen of the Yamatai Star Empire must go through the Department of Immigration (Proposal 3, Item 1).

Any person who wishes to revoke their citizenship is subject to confiscation of their personal possessions, especially pieces of technological or military nature (Proposal 3, Item 2).

Citizenship to the YSE is not obtainable by birth alone. To become a citizen, the owners of the child must register it (Proposal 3, Item 3) or the person must register herself.

A citizen is an official member of the Empire, while a plebian is not. Plebeians include willingly conquered members of other nations, and unregistered Geshrin (Proposal 3, Item 4).
2. Citizenship

1. Any person who wishes to become a citizen of the Yamatai Star Empire must go through the Department of Immigration (Proposal 3, Item 1). All beings are permitted to apply, even non-citizens from other nations, but the Yamatai Star Empire reserves the right to restrict citizenship for any reasonable reason. Those with military records will be screened by the military as well as the Department of Immigration.

2. Any person who wishes to revoke their citizenship is subject to confiscation of their personal possessions, especially pieces of technological or military nature (Proposal 3, Item 2).

3. Citizenship to the YSE is not obtainable by birth alone. To become a citizen, those applying for citizenship must participate in an interview, download a civic information packet, and take a written or oral test. If the applicant lacks a digitized brain, they will recieve study materials, and take the same test after a designated amount of time to study.

The following exemptions exist:

Geshrin children born to parents, at least one of which is a citizen, that are under the age of 12 should be exempted and eligible to be added as citizens. The same should be applied to Yamataians. If either uses accelerated growth towards maturity, they should be evaluated individually.

Sprites who have served a full term of duty in the Star Army of Yamatai and are honourably discharged with a civic information packet downloaded automatically become full citizens.

Due to the fact the NH-29 child grows to maturity within standard three months, they are only exempt only until their first birthday.

4. A citizen is an official member of the Empire, while a plebian is not. Plebeians include willingly conquered members of other nations, and unregistered Geshrin (Proposal 3, Item 4). Those once owned by Citizens or Corporations owned by Citizens now hold Plebian status.

5. The Yamatai Star Empire will designate plebian rights to citizens of any nation with whom such an agreement has been previously made in treaty.

Old version of Article 3, New version of Article 3

3. Basic Rights and Freedoms of Citizens

Every citizen and plebian has the right to their own thoughts, opinions, and mind (Proposal 3, Item 8).

Every citizen and plebian has the right to express themselves and speak freely, so long as their speech does not 1) libel, or present knowingly false information regarding a person or the actions of that person. 2) reveal information that the government, Star Army, or a Major Corporation has deemed as classified (Proposal 3, Item 9).

Any citizen or plebian may own a firearm, energy rifle, or small explosives launcher. Weapons of mass destruction and quantum weaponry will be the only restricted weaponry for non-military personnel (Proposal 3, Item 10).

3. Basic Rights and Freedoms of Citizens

1. Every citizen and plebian has the right to their own thoughts, mind, and exclusive control of any backup copies thereof. (Proposal 3, Item 8; revised by Ketsurui Hanako-Taisa).

2. Every citizen and plebian has the right to express themselves and speak freely, so long as their speech does not 1) libel, or present knowingly false information regarding a person or the actions of that person. 2) reveal information that the government, Star Army, or a Major Corporation has deemed as classified (Proposal 3, Item 9).

3. Any citizen or plebian may own a firearm, energy rifle, or small explosives launcher. Weapons of mass destruction and quantum weaponry will be the only restricted weaponry for non-military personnel (Proposal 3, Item 10).

4. Every plebian has the right to apply for citizenship.

5. Every citizen and plebian has the right to live safely and unmolested, as long as they do not infringe on the rights of others.

6. Any citizen, given the financial backing and skills needed, has the right to be permitted to start their own company if in compliance with Yamatai Star Empire law. Grants to found and maintain these companies are awarded at the will of the government, but can be applied for by any citizen.

7. Any citizen may vote upon and propose law for the Yamatai Star Empire.

8. Citizens and plebians have the defense of the Star Army of Yamatai and various non-military government offices to support their safety.

New Article 4, no equivalent. (Note that this pushes the article numbers off by 1):

4. Basic Rights and Freedoms of Non-Citizens

A non-citizen is defined as a being who is an alien to the Star Army of Yamatai and applicable allies. This is the base definition for all sentient life not holding membership or citizenship in the Yamatai Star Empire.

1. Every non-citizen has the right to their own thoughts, mind, and exclusive control of any backup copies thereof. (Proposal 3, Item 8; revised by Ketsurui Hanako-Taisa).

2. Every non-citizen has the right to express themselves and speak freely, so long as their speech does not 1) libel, or present knowingly false information regarding a person or the actions of that person. 2) reveal information that the government, Star Army, or a Major Corporation has deemed as classified.

3. Every non-citizen has the right to apply for citizenship, but they are not entitled to citizenship itself.

4. Every non-citizen has the right to live safely and unmolested, as long as they do not infringe on the legal rights of others.

5. Non-military non-citizens will not be singled out by race or political belief, unless the Empire has initiated a total war against that person’s government AND civilian population, IE: Mishhu. However, proper security measures can be taken as the situation demands.

New Article 5, no equivalent. (Note that this pushes the article numbers off by 1):

5. Other Statuses of Citizenry

1. The Yamatai Star Empire can grant Asylum to people from outside the Empire by the the Empress, the Mistress Taisho, or qualified persons meeting the requirements mentioned in section 1.1. These people will have the same rights as Citizens, sans the ability to vote or propose law.

1.1 In order to apply, or retain the ability to declare Asylum on behalf of the Empire as listed in this article the individual must have official approval from both the Empress, and the Mistress Taisho. Only individuals are eligible, and must be either: a ranking officer of Shosho or higher in the Star Army of Yamatai or leader of a clan that has previously been sanctioned by the Imperial Clan.

2. The Yamatai Star Empire, in times of emergency, can label a group of people as refugees and take them into their care. Refugees have the same rights as Plebians.

Old Article 4 (with parts removed from New Article 6 in red), New Article 6:

4. Criminal Law

The following are crimes and will be punished as directed by the Crimes and Punishments list:

It is illegal for a nonmilitary person in Star Army territory to kill a sentient being that he/she does not own, except when acting in self-defense (Proposal 13, Item 1).

It is illegal for any person in Star Army territory to force an unwilling sentient being that he/she does not own to engage in or be subject to sexual intercourse or sexual activity (Proposal 15, Item 1).

It is illegal to clone (make physical copies of) or ST-clone (make mental copies of) any Star Army citizen/plebian/soldier that you do not own without their consent (Proposal 39, Item 2).

All nekos already have a unique genetic ID code. Attempting to modify the code, or a neko as a whole, is illegal, and punishable by life imprisonment (Proposal 39 Item 4).

Any person who wrongfully takes, obtains, or withholds any money, personal property, or article of value of any kind with intent permanently to deprive another person of the use and benefit of property or to appropriate it to his use (or the use of any person other than the owner) from the possession of the owner steals that property and is guilty of larceny (Proposal 35, Item 1) Doing the above, but for a temporary nature, is guilty of wrongful appropriation (Proposal 35, Item 2). Doing the above, but with violence or threat of violence, is guilty of robbery (Proposal 35, Item 3).

Any person who in time of war is found acting as a spy in or around any place, vessel, or aircraft, within the control of the Star Army, or in or about any shipyard, any manufacturing or industrial plant, or any other place or institution supporting the Star Army, or elsewhere, be punished by torture, until death (Proposal 37, Item 1).

No person or organization is allowed to use restricted military or corporate technologies or enter restricted military areas without authorization. Restricted Military Areas include, but are not limited to: Military States (Such as Melanchol, Geshrintall) and Newly-discovered planets and systems on the YSE's borders. Restricted Technologies include, but are not limited to: Nekovalkyrja, HSCS, TDD, RDD, WARMS and like devices, Aether Weaponry, Transposition Cannons, Scalar Weapons, ST/SS Tech, Technology involved in the creation of Zesuaium, Interdictor Devices

6. Criminal Law

The following are crimes and will be punished as directed by the Crimes and Punishments list:

1. It is illegal for a nonmilitary person in Star Army territory to kill a sentient being that he/she does not own, except when acting in self-defense (Proposal 13, Item 1).

2. It is illegal for any person in Star Army territory to force an unwilling sentient being that he/she does not own to engage in or be subject to sexual intercourse or sexual activity (Proposal 15, Item 1).

3. It is illegal to clone (make physical copies of) or ST-clone (make mental copies of) any Star Army citizen/plebian/soldier that you do not own without their consent (Proposal 39, Item 2).

4. All nekos already have a unique genetic ID code. Attempting to modify the code, or a neko as a whole, is illegal, and punishable by life imprisonment (Proposal 39 Item 4).

5. Any person who wrongfully takes, obtains, or withholds any money, personal property, or article of value of any kind with intent permanently to deprive another person of the use and benefit of property or to appropriate it to his use (or the use of any person other than the owner) from the possession of the owner steals that property and is guilty of larceny (Proposal 35, Item 1) Doing the above, but for a temporary nature, is guilty of wrongful appropriation (Proposal 35, Item 2). Doing the above, but with violence or threat of violence, is guilty of robbery (Proposal 35, Item 3).

6. Any person who in time of war is found acting as a spy in or around any place, vessel, or aircraft, within the control of the Star Army, or in or about any shipyard, any manufacturing or industrial plant, or any other place or institution supporting the Star Army, or elsewhere, be punished by torture, until death (Proposal 37, Item 1).

7. No person or organization is allowed to use restricted military or corporate technologies or enter restricted military areas without authorization. Restricted Military Areas include, but are not limited to: Military States (Such as Melanchol, Geshrintall) and Newly-discovered planets and systems on the YSE's borders. Restricted Technologies include, but are not limited to: Nekovalkyrja, HSCS, TDD, RDD, WARMS and like devices, Aether Weaponry, Transposition Cannons, Scalar Weapons, ST/SS Tech, Technology involved in the creation of Zesuaium, Interdictor Devices.

8. Any citizen discovering a new star system must notify the Empire immediately. If sentient life exists in the system, the Rights of Early Contact ( https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?...ce_of_ye_30:documents:rights_of_early_contact ) must be upheld: To not do so is a serious crime recognized by multiple nations.

9. Any citizen, plebian, or otherwise who knowingly commits crime in a government installation is liable to be charged with additional crimes brought forth by the Star Army of Yamatai, as well as civilian charges.

10. Those who lie to obtain citizenship in the Yamatai Star Empire will be charged with Fraud with Intent to Infiltrate, and can suffer deportation or imprisonment.

11. Police, Star Army of Yamatai, Ketsurui Samurai, and other offices dedicated to the protection of the people, the clans, and the Empire will not face charges for taking life, causing physical or emotional harm, or causing collateral damage; as long as their actions are warranted given the specific situation. Gross excess in actions or abuse of authority which are disproportionate to the situation, however, can result in charges.

12. It is a crime for any citizen or plebian to claim or maintain ownership of another sapient being. Non-citizens may only maintain ownership of their sapient property while in Imperial Space with the consent of the government, to be decided on a case-by-case basis.

Communication from Yuki Toshiro

I vote in support of this bill. I think the non-citizen rights are a logical progression from the Rights of Early Contact, and that the rest are definite improvements.

Communication from Yaichiro

Naturally, I vote YES as well.

Otomo Suzune

"Ah... Well, it's... it's full of words, and it's... Well it seems to be giving new rights... Yes! New rights are good."

Ishida Hiroko

"What is this? Well, I approve of the removal of slave-ownership language and the modification of plebian status to be more favorable. Though... I must bring to mind. Why do we have a plebian-citizen distinction again? It seems strange. Cannot the plebian status be relegated more to simple pre-citizenship, and expectations and steps be made to ensure it doesn't take that long to become a citizen? It's about time we dropped some of this nationalist paranoia - I'm in the Star Army to fight criminals and enemies of the state, not shadows seen out of fear."

Communications from Yaichiro:

To Ishida-san:

Plebians and Non-Civilians have slightly different rights...they are comparable, but there are differences.

To everyone:

Thank you very much for all of your support. This bill will be law at no time at this rate!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back