• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Psionic Warfare

Fred

Retired Staff
Question : How do psionic attacks function and how can player use them in the roleplaying/littary sense.

The NH-7, NH-17T and NH-22M nekovalkyrja series possess the capability to perform psionic attacks (see the comparison chart, even though the NH-17T is absent).

Also, the current rules for ESP can be seen here.

So, some characters with training in psionic warfare would be able to probe the minds of others for surface emotion, or make a more invasive probes to read their surface thoughts. Furthermore, it should be within their reach to perform brute force psionics as well.

However, what I'm wondering is how to apply this when it comes to be used in an actual RP? Some guidelines would be pretty useful : the only reference I could find was the NH-17T Naraku and her powers don't seem to match with the current ESP rules - hardly a good reference. I looked up Ayame as well, but there was even less there to base anything on except that her 'class' was a hemosynthesist... and classes aren't used anymore.

Also, it'd be nice to have an idea of how effective resisted psionics could be. As far as I know, the only characters that have a certain protection from psionic attacks (probably not an immunity) are the NH-22M (see 'Shielded Mind' here) and certain specialized cyborg implants. I've been told that the lethality of psionic attacks would be around that of a NSP... but it brings up other concerns :

I think about another person dying and it dies.

Pretty scary. How much effort would that take? How often could it be applied? How many people could be affected by that? Are there countermeasures? What about if it's two psionic attack capable characters facing off against each other? Could they sort of have a mental duel? How would that go?

I would think that would fall under the GM's judgement of the characters involved.

A situation such as a NH-17 standard unit Vs. a Misshu would result in the NH-17 having her brain promptly popped by the Misshu due to the command over telepathic abilities that the Misshu have.

Meanwhile, a situation between two Nepleslians whom have been geneticly altered to have telepathic abilities, it would result in the two combatants inflicting severe migranes upon one another, along with increased blood pressure to the head, thus causing nasal bleeding and stroke... of course, this is just my assumption.

It really comes down to the individual characters, and their individual ability to deal with the trauma inflicted by a situation of that manner.

No, He phased out magic, which caused a entire race to be promptly destroyed. He also phased out PARTS of psionics, such as telekenesis, and pyrokenesis. But there are things, such as Forced raport, Telepathy, and Tactile telpathy, that have not been wiped.

Actually no, he never intended for magic to be included. He made an exception once which turned out not to be such a great idea.

Keep to the question please? ^_^

The problem with the GM adjuciating all this is that the users really don't know what to expect from psionic attacks : it makes them hard to implement them in the first place. That's why I'm asking the question in the first place.

Also, Tomoe, it's quite clear that the Mishhuvurthyar hold an edge... but they hold that edge over the more standard nekos (the NH-17R, which is likely the most common kind) and humans. I'd think that nekovalkyrja designed for psionic warfare (the NH-17T and later models were built to counter that very thing, if I'm not mistaken) should be on par with the SMX.

Hrm... maybe a comparitive chart could be made to compare the psionic abilities of each race, offshoots of each race, and maximum potential of each race and the skills they can use... of course, i'll leave it to some one else since I am quite untalented when it involves comparing abilities.

Sounds like something that has been tried before and if memory serves right it didn't work out so well. I'm in favor of limited psionics to just communications if not removing it all together. After all it doesn't contribute in a major way to the storytelling or game play aspects because of the tendency for abuse of the powers and use to cut corners in both combat and social interactions.

If psionics are removed from the RP enviroment, there are several races and characters that would be severely impacted by the change, and it would severely harm the gameplay enviroment. Additionaly, the psionics issue has been balanced in regards to plot situations involving star army vessels. The solution is the usage of ADN devices to prevent the usage of psionics. If you don't like psionics being used on, or around, your character... i'd suggest picking up a pocket ADN.

I really don't think that is true. If anything psionics has been abused more than it has been used to improve the storyline. The Lorath among other races could use some better balancing and tweaking as it is for better gameplay.

The ADN is a throwback from the Ayenee days and sense the Ayenee and transuniversal angle of the storyline is being phased out as well it only makes sense to streamline the setting for better gameplay and less ability abuse.

The Lorath have already been tweaked to be compatable with the robbing of magic from the gameplay enviroment. Also, the race has been seperated into seperate branches to prevent the abuse of abilities.

Additionaly, the ADN is not a throw back from the old days, new SA vessels such as the Sakura Class Gunship have a ADN device built in as a standard countermeasure.

As for ability balance, if we are crying out for nerfing of abilities and playing enviroment, I would like to see the following removed: hemosynth, nodal devices, SLICS connections, aether beams, Yarvex and related armors, PANTHEON, hyperspace travel, artificial implants, genetic augmentation, natural biological toxins, shape shifting, stealth, super strength, toxin resistance, and educational information direct downloads.

We'll push ourselves back to running at eachother with baseball bats with nails embedded in them and sending pigeons to eachother to communicate over long distance.

The PANTHEON system uses psionics. That should be 'nough said.

I get the bitch. No one wants their character to get popped, and no one wants a lazy GM. But I've used psionics extensively in my plotline, and I've had no problems. It just depends on the quality of player and GM.

The rules as they stand make sense. The GM should adjudicate how effective a brute-force attack is. Along with that, the use of psionics as communication makes good sense.

What's the real argument here?

The Lorath could still use balancing so that they can work better in the game play environment IE lowering the tech level they claim to have with that of which is actually being presented. Other than that the race seems to be fairly well balanced if in the background.

Instituting magic was something that never should have been done in the first place. The ADN of course IS something from 'back in the day'. It has not been removed for both continuality and because psionics are still in use. Keep in mind that the ADN was originally intended to be used to counter Magic as well.

hemosynth, nodal devices, SLICS connections, aether beams, Yarvex and related armors, PANTHEON, hyperspace travel, artificial implants, genetic augmentation, natural biological toxins, shape shifting, stealth, super strength, toxin resistance, and educational information direct downloads aren't abused. In fact they contribute to the storyline on many levels and are actually intrigal to the plot in some of the plotlines. To ask for the removal of the technologies is to ignore the basic mechanics of this game.

What bothers me to no end about these systems is that only SA ships can use them because they can bypass the usual approval process. Even though that is annoying it does make for good game play for two reasons. SA characters on SA ships are often required to fight SA ships now. Outside of that Wes GMed plots often end up with bad guys that aren't listed on the site so they are tailored for whatever needs to be done for whatever reason. The second reason is of course: Going against an opponent that doesn't have some sort of advantage over you is really boring.

This is not a technology debate. This is not a thread to determine what is or what is not in the SARP. It's a thread so that psionic users whom have advanced capabilities beyond simple telepathic communications to know the extent to which they can use their capabilities, how to use them and their possible effects. If you want to discuss which race can have psionics, how strong it would be and such, take it to the Setting Discussion.

Personally, I'm waiting on Wes' reply... and so should you.

Doshii Jun said:
... and no one wants a lazy GM.

Ya sure know how to make a guy feel welcome. T_T :)

Props to Fred for asking a great question. The question, as I interpret it, is how should PCs deal with psionic attacks, both in the offense and on the defense. Also, what mechanisms are in place to prevent/discourage abuse.

If you ask me, on the offense side, any PC that was given the ability to launch psionic attacks has most probably shown enough responsibility to be trusted with not abusing said ability. Just like we don't just hand out car keys to any teenager who wants to drive in the real world, the Star Army will not just hand out NH-17T (or more advanced) bodies to any fresh recruit who wants to be in SAINT. That, I believe, constitute a reason not to worry too much about psionic attacks, both OOCly and ICly.

Defensively, wear a personal ADN card and you're fine, really. Some Star Army ships comes equipped with ADN devices, as has been noted. Although it should be noted that Neko soldiers communiate psionically during battle, and thus are still somewhat vulnerable.

Considering the fact that there are much more mundane and easier ways of killing someone, the person initiating a psionic attack is either arrogant, reckless or disarmed and desperate. (No offense to anyone personally.)

As for the effectiveness of the psionic attack, it would of course, depend on the relative psionic abilities, willpower, transient mental conditions (preparedness, panic, sleepiness, anger, ...), health, etc., of both the attacker and the defender. Thus, I would argue that it's best to let the GM handle it, rather than boil it down to some chart.

That's just my two cents.

Indeed, as GMs have handled abusers well in the past.

Also, if technology includes Psionic devices then naturally tech discussion must be carried out to an extent.

Telepathy in the SARP is used for communication only. The only form of "psionic attack" people can do is blasting their communication-type signal at excessive power levels. This could not be directed at an individual, but rather would be picked up by any person/device able to receive that signal.

So... is 'encrypted psionic blasts' a possibility? How much would take be able to hurt anyhow and do should it be written in a post? Could we have an example?

Kotori said:
So... is 'encrypted psionic blasts' a possibility? How much would take be able to hurt anyhow and do should it be written in a post? Could we have an example?
*shrug* I don't see why not. All encrypting it would do is cause one person to be attacked by a deafening "KYAAAAAAA!" and everyone else in the area to be attacked by a deafening "SQURRRBEEEPSSSSSHGAAA!"

RPG-D RPGfix
Back