Questions about Anti-FTL and Link Device Technology

A

ArsenicJohn

If my ship can't use graviton beams to restrain ships then that definitely limits our options a bit. It's disturbing that two people can interpret the rules so differently. Good rules have only one interpretation and I'm not sure which is right in this case. o.x

Zack

Site Supporter
FM of Uso's Organization
Game Master
Jan 21, 2005
If it makes you feel any better this has been an ongoing problem for a while.

Even recently Wes was saying that speed doublers were allowed, until we dug up a post where he said the opposite.

Zack

Site Supporter
FM of Uso's Organization
Game Master
Jan 21, 2005
A graviton beam being used to stop FTL is just an interdiction beam.

A graviton beam pointed out in all directions is just an interdiction field.

Is there any way to lessen the effects of a graviton beam shutting down your FTL? If so, that just means Anti-interdiction tech is back.

raz

A Princess of Yamatai
Necromancer
Setting Submissions Mod
FM of the Kudhacari
Game Master
Jul 21, 2005
I was everywhere.
I don't think what Wes outlined was particularly difficult to understand. Finding loopholes and janky technicalities because you wanted to find them doesn't mean "anti-interdiction tech is back."

Zack

Site Supporter
FM of Uso's Organization
Game Master
Jan 21, 2005
So then what got banned from the setting? Interdiction beams are gravity-beams used to disrupt FTL travel. If we are allowed gravity beams to disrupt FTL travel but aren't allowed to use interdiction beams then what exactly has been banned?

raz

A Princess of Yamatai
Necromancer
Setting Submissions Mod
FM of the Kudhacari
Game Master
Jul 21, 2005
I was everywhere.
If we are allowed gravity beams to disrupt FTL travel but aren't allowed to use interdiction beams then what exactly has been banned?
I think the gist of it is that your Hayai-class Gunboat can no longer press a button to shut down FTL travel for anything it wants, but you can still have your science dude use his magic science station to delay an enemy's FTL capability somehow with a graviton beam.

That's just how I'm understanding what was already explained and believe it pre-resolves your specific follow-ups, though.

Zack

Site Supporter
FM of Uso's Organization
Game Master
Jan 21, 2005
The problem with 'You can stop it but only under specific circumstances' is that the system we used to describe that was the interdiction / anti-interdiction system. If you try and use it you end up right back where we started, or at least very close to it.

FrostJaeger

On Hiatus
Site Supporter
Setting Submissions Mod
FM of Elysia
Game Master
May 1, 2015
the East Coast, USA
goo.gl
The problem with 'You can stop it but only under specific circumstances' is that the system we used to describe that was the interdiction / anti-interdiction system. If you try and use it you end up right back where we started, or at least very close to it.
We...don't? When hit with a graviton beam, the defending ship can...
  • Science its way out by "counteracting" the graviton beam with the power of SCIENCE.
  • Shoot its way out by blowing up whatever's projecting the graviton beam.
  • Manuever its way out by "shearing" the graviton beam off.
  • Creativity its way out by placing an object between itself and the graviton beam.
...or do something else entirely.

Syaoran

FM of Abwehr
Game Master
Mar 16, 2014
I think the big difference between a gravity beam and interdiction is. Interdiction means you interrupt their FTL with a field or some kinda system. The gravity beam, unless you're Scotty and shooting a bullet with anotehr bullet while blindfold and riding on the back of a horse, is being used to prevent form from entering FTL in the first place. So one is pulling them out and ambushing, the other is simply not letting them run.

A

ArsenicJohn

Yeah, the question became to me because of my new plot. In the case of my plot, we're privateers so it's very useful to keep our target ship from running. I imagine there are many ways to get out of a graviton beam.

Zack

Site Supporter
FM of Uso's Organization
Game Master
Jan 21, 2005
Are there? The rules regarding this were removed so your guess is as good as mine as to how that will go.

Legix

Necromancer
Setting Submissions Mod
FM of Nepleslia
Game Master
Jul 20, 2016
Yeah, the question became to me because of my new plot. In the case of my plot, we're privateers so it's very useful to keep our target ship from running. I imagine there are many ways to get out of a graviton beam.
Frost pointed out just 4. There's definitely ways, but this is also a thing to point out a very common tactic in other settings to compensate for interdiction-slipping.

Swarm Tactics

Rather than have one ship, most pirates would use multiple smaller ships. In the case of graviton beams, it means that you can interdict the target from multiple directions as well as harass them. It also tends to be more cost effective having 3 smaller ships rather than 1 large ship, since you can often sacrifice one to save the other two if a job goes wrong instead of potentially lose your ship/suffer extreme damage trying to escape.

A

ArsenicJohn

Yeah, eventually we may have more ships. Right now we have a pretty good-sized Freespacer ship designed specifically for privateering tbh. If we make enough bank and enough interest we'll start our own little fiefdom out in the southeast.

Syaoran

FM of Abwehr
Game Master
Mar 16, 2014
It also makes sense for a gravity beam to effect you before you enter FTL but not once you're already in it. I don't know the exact ways, but physics does say that once an object is moving at (or in this case past) the speed of light, gravity effects it differently. So we don't even have to put any restrictions on gravity beams, just say that once you're actually FTL, they can't cause enough interference to actually stop the FTL.

Also one really good way to get out of a gravity beam is just fire on the opposing ship. If you can't figure out how to get out of a gravity beam, then maybe this'll be a good thing for you, you can broaden your tactical thinking this way.