• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Questions on Damage Rating System

Vesper

Inactive Member
I have a few questions on the Damage Rating system.

1) Are structure points "worth" more damage absorbtion as the associated item class (Personal, Armor, Ship) goes up a step? So would a small Ship with 15 SP be able to absorb more damage than a Armor that also has 15 SP?

2) Somewhat related to the above, I read the conversion chart. Does the chart indicate that if a Ship attacked a Armor with a SDR 2 weapon it would deal 10 SP in damage?

3) What exactly is the Threshold for shields? I think that the threshold reduces a incoming attack by whatever its value is (potentially negating it entirely) but how does this work when dealing with a attack from a higher Class? If a Ship attacks a Armor that has Shield Threshhold 2 with a SDR 2 weapon does it a) reduce the SP damage the armor suffers by 2, reducing damage sustained to 8 or b) negate the attack entirely? It would seem a) is the more reasonable choice but I want to make sure.

If this is correct, does it mean that a Armor is incapable of damaging a shielded Ship (assuming its most powerful weapon is ADR5/ SDR1)?

4) Are their any provisions for dealing with multiple attacks in quick succession (or simultaneously), or is that intended to be handled by the GM?

thanks,
Vesper

1) 1 SP (Starship) = 5 SP (Armor). See the Conversion section.

2) Correct, a starship weapon does 5x damage to armor.

3) According to the current rules:

Rd - Th = Hd

Where:

Rd is the raw damage output of an enemy weapon, and
Th is the shield threshold
Hd is the damage that reaches the hull

Example: SDR 4 cannon is fired at a ship with 20 Structural Points, 20 Shield Points, and a shield threshold of 2. The ship takes 2 damage points to the shield and 2 damage points to the ship itself.

If a power armor with an ADR 5 weapon fires on a starship, it would do 1 point of shield damage.

4) Typically, a weapon's output, regardless of listed rate of fire, is based on its DR per combat round. Multiple weapon systems firing at once stack.

If you have suggestions for improving or clarifying the system/article, I'd be happy to hear them. I want to make it user friendly.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back