• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Questions on death, guns, antigrav, rank

Jack Greyfox

Inactive Member
1. What are the rules on character death?

2. How come there aren't energy blades in the weapon shop? Having an energy knife as instead of a steel bladed one would be a lot better in a multitude of situations. Perhaps if steel bladed knifes are given as standard, why not give the option of buying an energy blade with your own money?

1. All characters are freely able to perform actions that would result in other characters' deaths (such as shooting at their head with a high-powered rifle); any character could die at any time, provided it makes sense. Permananent death can be avoided with smart moves and mental data backups.

2. The Gun Shop only includes weapons with artwork; also, there have been very few "energy sword" submissions that were approved, due to most of them not making much sense.

1. It's generally pretty realistic. Odds are if you are exposed and that another soldier shoots at you with a machine gun, you'll die. If a NH-27 neko stretches close to you, you might die as well ~_^. If you are on the business end of the weapon used by a NH-28 NIWS, you are defenitely dead.

The trick is not treating the SARP like an RPG in which you have Hit Points and extra lives. When you take risks, they might be the last ones you take, so, you have to exercise caution and make them be worth it. GMs generally enjoy having players participate and do good roleplaying and promote teamwork - usually, as long as you stick by your pals and try to get through a situation by surviving, you ought to be well off.

Medical technology allows to cope from impressive mental trauma, including severed limbs. However, bad things happen even to good characters - even if you do things right, you might die. The Star Army of Yamatai and the Elysian Celestial Navy uses Soul transfer devices to make recording of a person's mind. If the person expires and that she was a valued member of the crew, odds are he/she will have a new body grown and be restored to life, with memories going to up when they made their last backups (so, no remembering death).

<center>* * *</center>

2. About the blades, there are two reasons:

First, Wes likes retro stuff.

Secondly, energy blades in the SARP do one thing those you see in sci fi and anime not do: a shaped blade of coherent energy strong enough to cleave through flesh, bone, wood and metal as if there would be very little resistance would generate enough heat to shrivel the skin and boil the blood of its user.

That's why energy swords are usually reserved to power armor combat (see the Lamia, the Mindy, the Kylie and the most powerful: the Sarah power armor).

Kotori said:
would generate enough heat to shrivel the skin and boil the blood of its user.

I will admit my eyes widened as I read that part. Mmk...mostly understood. However, what if one finds that they cannot find a gun to suit their personal needs? Could one ask for a custom-made weapon?

Jack Greyfox said:
Also, can an Enlisted member become an Officer later on in the story?
Yes. Most officer PCs started as enlisted.

Well, if you want an example of a very fast rise in rank, my character Kotori went from a wet-behind-the-ears power armor pilot to an executive officer at the completion of her first mission. Her third mission qualified her for her own starship command.

It took me 9 out-of-character months to get there. That's an extreme though. I usually see other characters take 1 or 2 OoC year to get from new soldier to the beginning warrant officer ranks if the person is a good roleplayer and makes a sizeable contribution to the plotship's storyline.

What? You thought I was done? Silly children.

How would one go about obtaining a GP-12A, and how much is ammo, i.e. 40mm grenades and battery cells? Are the cells rechargeable?

Generally, buying them does the trick. As for the details, I sadly have no clue. Wes or Doshii would be better placed to answer this.

Yes, well, I see not a topic in which one describes how to go about buying anything, and the Gun Shop doesn't have details on ammo costs, nor details on if the cells are rechargeable or what kind of grenades are available.

Grenades aren't often employed in the SARP. So that's why you see no prices on them.

Where you buy a weapon depends on where you are. If you're in Kyoto, head for the Civilian District. You'll find KZ outlets there. Prices ... depends on the weapon. I didn't put prices in my small arms review for that reason.

Jack Greyfox said:
How does that topic on an old mission have to do with this question?

Look for Wes' post on the page. He has a part quoted directly from a mission describing a visit to a gun shop.

And could you clarify the Yamataian Floating abilty?
From NH-29 special abilities:

"Ability to manipulate gravitational, electrostatic and magnetic forces to allow a Nekovalkyrja's body to self-propel itself in zero to two gravities. They can hover around up to speeds of about seventy miles and hour in any direction."

Yamataians have basically the same thing.

From what I understand, the 70 mph is in zero-G. The more gravity you're influenced by, the slower you go. (... unless you're trying to make yourself fall faster, I guess.)

That would be 66.33 MpH forward hovering speed and full upward thrust at 47.63 MpH in earth gravity [ G= 10m/s ].

Yet one could simply disengage their "thrusters" to attain a lower altitude and re-engage it once one reaches the point they need. Can it be used indefinately?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back