Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP Reactivated Intermission: Not so Rested, Not So Relaxed

Commissar Farzi

🎖️ Game Master
RP Date
YE 44.2.16
RP Location
Sandraker
Several Hours after Mission.

Morris sealed the airlock behind the squad and sighed, the mission had been a near disaster, but they'd pulled it off. It had only cost them the low low price of the possible death of one squadmate.

Cheapest deal yet he'd say, if it wasn't for the fact that the intel may amount to nothing but 'chasing nostalgia', and it was likely going to be the same of the tagged vehicle either.

They'd passed the intel off to the squire waiting for them, who had run off to the central gantry in a hurry, but not before telling them to get some rest. Poor bastard; as they underwent the standard decon procedures, he sighed. "Welp, haven't got any new orders yet," He commented as the last of the toxic dust was washed away in a slurry of decon spray, "And it looks like we've actually got some time off-best get some food and rest while you can." The air became almost unbearably hot for a moment as they were blasted to dry the fluid before the inner lock was unsealed for them to pass through. The big man walked forward, dropping his combat shield and impaler off with the supply smith, who immediately collected them for repair for the former and examination in the latter's case. Grandmaster had been awful insistent on getting more than a few of those lately.

Oh well, wasn't his business...and honestly he didn't give a shit at the moment; all he wanted was food, family, and bed-in that order...

Michelle, followed through the airlock, unclipping the belt from her Brigandine to hand off her pistol and shotgun before unslinging her rifle to turn that over to the supply smith. For once, she had been glad for the decontamination bath washing the grit and grease and blood from her armor. Sure, she felt naked without her camouflage, using the grease to stick dust and grit to her armor to make her seem a part of the storm. But it wasn't without it's downsides. Everything stuck to her. And her especially.

"So I can go back to my night? I got some fresh veggies and fruit I want to get to Freya before I go visit Tacho. I know it's not her first rodeo getting shot down, but that crash was really bad."

As Auli'i stood in the airlock, the faint hum of the machinery filled the small space. The door to the outside world, where the atmosphere was hostile and unforgiving, sealed shut with a metallic clang. The brief respite from the planet's toxic air was a relief, but the short fox knew what was coming next.

She braced herself as the decontamination process began. The spray hit her fur in a fine mist, and despite the protective suit she wore, the smell still managed to seep through. It was a sharp, chemical scent, something that always made her nose wrinkle. She glanced over at Morris and Mike, who seemed unfazed by the smell. They had long grown accustomed to it, but for Auli'i, it was a different story. Her heightened sense of smell made the experience far less pleasant.

As the spray continued, covering them in a slurry that was supposed to cleanse them of any contaminants, Auli'i couldn't help but think back to her earlier task. Cleaning the waste tanks had been particularly grueling, the stench lingering in her nostrils even after she had finished. It was one of the many chores she often found herself assigned to, thanks to her small stature and ability to squeeze into tight spaces.

The airlock grew unbearably hot as the drying phase began, the heat blasting away the remaining fluid on their suits. Auli'i endured it in silence, knowing it would be over soon. Finally, the inner lock opened, and they were free to step into the safety of their base.

Auli'i removed her mask, shaking her head as she pulled down her hood to reveal her fur-covered face. "Food sounds good," she said, her voice a mix of relief and exhaustion. "I'd love to treat my nose to a better smell, and my belly, and then I think I’ll visit Tacho."

Her thoughts had already shifted to what she might eat, eager to replace the lingering chemical scent with something far more pleasant.

Auli'i approached the supply smith, her footsteps echoing softly as she handed over her weapons. The familiar weight of the gear left her hands as she passed them to the smith. Her eyes drifted toward Mike, watching as her big sister unclipped the belt from her Brigandine armor. Mike moved with the practiced ease of someone who had done this a thousand times, smoothly handing over her pistol and shotgun before unslinging her rifle. Auli'i admired the confidence in Mike's actions, feeling a pang of self-doubt in comparison.

Turning her attention back to the path ahead, Auli'i moved forward, her thoughts spinning as she considered her next words. "Have fun on your date," she teased, trying to keep her tone light. There was a moment's hesitation before she continued, "And also later... would you be willing..." Her voice trailed off, uncertainty creeping in. "Never mind, you're probably busy," she finished, her words coming out in a rush as she stretched, trying to shake off the nervousness.

She made her way toward the mess hall, the thought of food a welcome distraction. But as she walked, her mind kept returning to the question she hadn't been able to ask. She had been thinking about requesting more weapons training from Morris and Mike. The idea had been on her mind for a while, but every time she thought about asking, she hesitated. After all, she was supposed to be a smith, not a fighter. Would they even be open to it?

Her uncertainty only grew as she considered another question she had been too scared to ask: their opinion on her conduct during the mission. Auli'i replayed the events in her mind, wondering if she had done well or if there were areas where she needed improvement. But the fear of hearing something negative held her back from seeking their feedback.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back