• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Submission REE warhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zack

Inactive Member
Submission URL
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=faction:uso:rudaas_ees
Submission Faction(s)
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
I guess I didn't put the link in right last time?

REE was used as the name since Wazu-stuff tends to be named for exactly what it is and REE sounds better than just EE (and there is a ton of other acronym going on with the rest of the parts anyways so I wasn't going to spell out emergency enclosure like I did with 'emergency helmet').

Last edited:
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Rapid resubmission is not a way to get through the NTSE, is disrespectful of the NTSE, and is an easy way to get on the nerves of the NTSE. Now to top it off, you've in no way addressed my statement that there's no way for Vier to know about the events going on with the Exodus fleet, and my request for you to remove mention of it from your submission.

Isn't there a rule about the NTSE mods needing to be respectful / helpful?

The submission was re-submitted because it was rejected for having the links added in incorrectly. That problem is fixed now (double-fixed actually. Forgot that I don't need to fill in template with something anymore if I don't have an official template to use).

Also you only mentioned that you didn't want Vier to be able to save the people on the exodus fleet which is a request I honored. Her ships are following behind by a few light-days and then scooping up the light/sensor data so they can keep tabs on the fleet. The results of this was already used in the thread here: https://stararmy.com/roleplay-forum/threads/machine-learning.62032/

Also you only mentioned that you didn't want Vier to be able to save the people on the exodus fleet which is a request I honored. Her ships are following behind by a few light-days and then scooping up the light/sensor data so they can keep tabs on the fleet. The results of this was already used in the thread here: https://stararmy.com/roleplay-forum/threads/machine-learning.62032/

That, in my opinion, seems like an example of metagaming and/or powergaming via rule-lawyering the request @Alex Hart made, @Zack.

Can I get a review on this? It should be fairly straightforward and I have Jack waiting on the approval so he can submit his new ship.

Yes, as I believe that Vier had no way to be tracking the Exodus fleet all the way out of the Western sector and across the Kikyo sector, but if it's going to cause a problem and create a grudge that someone will hold longer than a dwarf in Warhammer fantasy, I'll let it go. Still, I'd prefer it if there was an alternate explanation.

To be honest, @Alex Hart given what you said, I don't think it should be cast aside in order to avoid a grudge, in fact, there shouldn't be any reason for a grudge to exist to begin with since - given what you said - it wouldn't be possible canonically for the fleet to be tracked, so no grudge should exist. Thus, I feel that a change in explanation is in order.

We talked about this before and Alex mentioned you didn’t want Vier saving the people in your RP so I kept her at a decent distance so you could do your own thing. The Exodus fleet doesn’t have any technology that would prevent someone from watching them either. They are flying around out in public where anyone can see them.

It is kinda rediculous I have to answer the same question repeatedly just to get a review within a 2 month time frame.

Alex is a GM, which means he's does have a right to state whether something can happen to his fleet or whether it is being tracked, as FM's we can't just go and ignore what a GM says. So, please change it.

Can I get a @Wes ruling on this?

The exodus fleet is out in space where anyone can see it. There shouldn’t be any reason that a ship can’t watch their trail. The event is already mentioned in RP, Alex and I already came to an agreement not to have my characters get involved, and this kind of watching has been used repeatedly in the past.

I find it dubious that Vier has the technology/infrastructure in place to accurately track the fleet across a distance greater than the width of the Kikyo sector, or to observe in any detail what happens to it.

Edit; they also went into a nebula at the time of the event referenced by this wiki article, and at no time in any of the RP did I have any intention of them being tracked by Vier.

It doesn’t take any more than a starship and a good telescope. Any character could do the same.

As explained before, Vier is following behind by about 1-2 light days with a good telescope so she can watch the exodus fleet. She can watch where they go, see them when they jump, and get a good idea of where they will come out. From there it is just a matter of flying around the endpoint until you pick up the trail again.

Telescopes - at least those based on visible light, which is what I’m assuming you’re referring to - suffer from light-speed limitations, @Zack, thus meaning that Vier wouldn’t be able to track them with any degree of accuracy; additionally, would you mind providing the threads and/or posts I requested here, please?

Edit: Based upon what Alex said here, Vier’s ships, which shouldn’t have even been tracking the Exodus Fleet in the first place, would’ve lost the trail once the fleet went into the nebula - so I am officially asking you to please come up with an alternative explanation.

Last edited:
I’d be ok with them tracking the fleet until the nebula, if Zack is going to complain about having to make a small edit.

Did the nebula happen before the incident where ships were lost? If not then we don’t really have a problem.

If so, and you want a more technical explanation. Nebulas aren’t very dense, and you can easily see through several star-systems worth of nebulas with the naked eye. They don’t hide ships.

But lets say there is a cloud dense enough to block line of sight... well it’d also be dense enough to collapse in on itself from gravity and that is just a gas giant. That also wouldn’t block line of sight to the ships unless they stayed inside of it.

But lets give you both a dense nebula and one that somehow doesn’t become a gas giant: you are still moving ships through it at near light speed, the nebula’s gas is still near absolute zero, and your engine exhaust is still super hot and would stand out enough to be seen.

And even if you have a situation where the nebula is thick and hot, the ships moving through at a good portion of C would cause lots of highly penitrating gamma rays that would blast out from their entire path.

Ultimately, you can’t control what actions are taken outside of your plot because of your actions.

They had been traveling through the nebula for a while before the pirate attack.

The nebula was also described as something of an anomaly so it’s reasonable for it to be thick enough to block sensors. (It was a p weird nebula)

If it’s thick enough to block sensors then it’s more than atmospheric thick which would reduce your ship speed to a few thousand KPH,

Even then the heat and radiation given off would be more than enough to track the ships, either from the outside of the nebula or by following the big, radioactive, hole you punched in the nebula to get through it.

Even after all of the above, unless you spend years in the nebula moving at sub-light speed, you’ve still only gone a few pixels on the map. It would be trivial for other ships to pick up the trail once they left.

It’s all kinda out of your hands if someone else wants to go see watch from a distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back