• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Rejected Character Reil Liebnen

Zeroshin

Inactive Member
Okay guys, thanks for the tips, I really appreciate them. I've decided to revise the character bio, taking note of what you said. Here it is:

Name: Reil Liebnen

General Information:

Species: Geshrin
Family:

Father: Ranson Liebnen
Mother: Nerissa Liebnen

Employer: None

Physical Characteristics:

Height: 165 cm
Weight: 54.2 kilograms
Build: Wiry on the thin side
Skin color: Light Tan
Facial Features: Asian, with just a hint of Caucasian
Eye color: Black
Hair color and Style: Thick, jet-black hair drawn up and back, with two locks of hair goung down at the side of the face
Distinguishing features: A strange circular scar behind his left ear, over the point where the skull hits the jaw.

Other: Due to a freak accident in one of his parent's missions Reil became paralyzed due to a virus and was implanted with extensive bio-implants to restore full sensory-motor functionality. Audiovisual implants have been implanted and extend Reil's effective audiovisual sensory range (since the virus afected ALL muscles, including involuntary ones) and serve as output interfaces for his implanted bio-computer. Cerebellar/medullar/gangliar inputs have also been implanted to aid movement and also enhancing reflex and coordination.

Psychological Characteristics:

Personality: Reil has an air of deserved arrogance around him that demands respect and a small measure of contempt from anyone whom he meets. He often wants to work alone, although a companion with a compatible mindset is tolerated. He is very optimistic, always seeing the silver lining on even the thickest nimbus cloud. He often lose track of time just thinking about his next task or just mulling about the nature of the universe. He is also very adventurous, always searching for new things, new knowledge, new worlds to explore. He always wants a quick yet effective fix to any problem, just like when he tries to hack and cheat through every computer game he could find.

Likes: Science, exploration, flying, honorable hand-to-hand combat, books (fiction and non-fiction, especially science and tech related) role-playing games, computer programming

Dislikes: Redundant tasks, crab meat (had a bad experience), personal development books

History: Reil's parents were a part of several explorers and vagrants who left the crowded Nepleslian/Yamataian worlds in search for new worlds to settle in. To finance their expenses, they usually played fetch for small corporations (sometimes contraband), and, to a much lesser degree, bounty hunting. Since they have no living relatives, they took along young Reil to missions like rare viral strain delivery, helping an ex-con escape and a particularly dangerous one involving a cat stuck in a tree (the cat being a 1 ton monster, all teeth and claws, making her nest in a 300 meter tall, rare species of Tami acacia). When Reil was about 12 years old, he was inflicted by a crippling virus that destroyed most of his nerve functions, forcing his parents to buy extensive bio-implants to serve as Reil's nerves. Not only did the implants restore Reil's motor skills, it also improved Reil's performance as a human. Although he has no formal knowledge during his childhood years, he eventually gained enough, as much as your ordinary schooled Geshrini. After his parents retired to Tami, he settled down in Nepleslia to study. Having finished his studies, he now looks for a job as an explorer/field researcher in one of the large corporations; but if unlucky, he might as well follow in his parent's footsteps or join the Nairan rebel group.

Skills:
Reil pretty much has working knowledge of everything, but it is in the following that he excels in:

Starship Operations: His parents taught him much of this, since they had their own scout-class ship and no one else was there to drive it when they were away. He has an excellent sense of space, and can navigate a ship out of the most difficult of situations.

Vehicles: Reil can do extreme high-g maneuvers in high-performance vehicles, limited only by biological limits; but with inertial dampeners he may as well rip the drive off a fighter. He is also a crack shot with vehicle weapons systems; he is quite adept at a running shot.

Survival and Military: The dangerous lifestyle that Reil lived during his younger years prompted his parents to train him in combat and survival techniques. Reil can pretty much use everything at his disposal in order to survive. He is familiar with a wide array of hostile environmnents, from space to barren planet, from polar to jungle, from desolate to urban.

Technology Operation: Reil can make full use of his bio-implants, even extending their effectiveness. He also has extensive knowledge about computer systems; he has been known to hack his way into MMORPG game servers in order to enhance his gaming experience.

Fighting and Physical: Before Reil was given his implants he was a frail boy, unable to join into most children's games. But due to his implants he can now hold his groud in a fight. His bio-computer has been encoded with basic knowledge of most fighting styles. He is still considered too weak to enter in the arena fights though.

Engineering: Reil's lonely times on flights between his parent's missions are spent on creating toys from anything available onboard. Some of his early creations are a miniature antigravity flying device, a miniature computer, and a jetpack which he built before the implantations. Reil dreams of building his own ship someday, with variable nanopod weapons systems.

Medical and Science: Due to the sensitive nature of his implants Reil must learn how to maintain his own health, since a small slip in his implants will cause paralysis. He can perform first aid, crude surgery if necessary; but it is in cybernetic/bio-implants that he really excels in this field.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
You should probably write:

Father: name
Mother:name

Rather than just Family. Also I am not that sure weather some of the implants, such as gravitons exist in Star Army, PM Wes and ask Him. Otherwise It is not that bad!

There is a problem with History.

We have a little bit of a policy here about not liking having events in your history which would require RPing out, and yours ... has quite a bit of that. Admitadley most of it is actually to do with your characters parents, but there is still quite a bit. It's a complex history, but for this issue I'll turn to Thad to make the concise judgment.

Also, some of the people on the site have a problem with orphans, seeing them as cliche.

He also seems to be quite an ubermenchen, overpowered, a bit. His skills are all extolling his virtues, and his implants seem to make him superhuman.

I will agree with Zakalwe that your history does have events which could be RPed and that there are so many orphens now it gets a little tedious, however I think the implants mainly ok, maybe remove the gravitons, I am not sure if we even have them, do we?

You could think about tuning down the implants so they do not make you so superhuman, maybe make the implants give you a little extra boost and have him physically train to make him stronger.

All right. History should be shortened, definitely. Orphans and cybernetic implants are both pretty cliche, I'd accept just removing one, but the character having both isn't thrilling. Things like this should be removed:

Reil has an air of great knowledge around him that makes him quite respected. It is through this aura that when he speaks, all conversations within the circle usually cease.

You haven't actually RPed the character and can't say whether that would actually happen. The rest of the personality was very good though.

If I were you, this is what I would change: have his parents still alive, tone down the cybernetic implants, tone down his knowledge a lot (especially when it comes to things like bounty hunting, which you may not even be able to pull off IC) and choose a different occupation. The character is workable, definitely. Perhaps you could say that his parents were just explorers? Thus, your character could have a knowledge about the universe, but isn't an uber-skilled eighteen year old. He could still be an explorer, and maybe he could be interested in becoming a bounty hunter, but you need to RP that sort of thing out.

Things like 20-meter jumping ability, "above-average working knowledge of everything," and the aforementioned issues should be corrected. I may sound very negative, but the character was quite good except in these areas. It shouldn't be too hard to rectify. If you need additional help, you could PM me, Zakalwe, Rei, Wes, or any other older players you see online.

By the way, I'm not too sure if Nairan is still operating. If it is, it would be a good choice though. Good job, and good luck completing the character.

I agree with Jadg on everything except the bounty hunter part. I think that the bounty hunter would be quite intresting and unique. I think it could be a very good RP on Neplesia if nowhere else. However having your parents as bounty hunters makes you most likely to have learnt everything they know. It would be much better if you learnt how to become a succesful bounty hunter IC, it could be something like you never knew that your parents were bounty hunters, as an example. Also test piloting might not be the best occupation to RP as most craft these days are pretty high tech and quite safe.

Sure Luke, I've played bounty hunters myself, and they are fun. But you have to start at the bottom to do it right. It's not like your character is going to have a terrible performance on their first job, just that they won't know all the ropes, either. I think Luke's suggestion was good, about finding out his parents were bounty hunters as well as explorers. It shouldn't be some sort of great big RP arc, you could even put it in the history if you wanted. It could make for very interesting RP. Assassins are a lot of fun.

Also if you are going to have Reil know his parents were bounty hunters, don't you think that it would make more sense if they didn't take you along on their dangerous missions as it would place you in danger, you would get in their way, slow them down and compramise their mission.

Okay guys, thanks for the tips, I really appreciate them. I've decided to revise the character bio, taking note of what you said. Here it is:

*edit:* deleted, please see first post.

Please, the problem now is we have a massive preference to editing your first post rather than posting another on the same thread.

Distinguishing features: A strange circular scar behind his left ear, over the point where the skull hits the jaw.

Why must everyone have a scar? They're cool, but everyone has them ...

All this travel and exposure gave Reil the experience and sufficient knowledge to be a full-fledged explorer like his parents, at the cost of his health. When Reil was about 12 years old, he was inflicted by a crippling virus that destroyed most of his nerve functions, forcing his parents to buy extensive bio-implants to serve as Reil's nerves.

This bit actually suggests that he's got the experiance to be a fully capable explorer by the age of 12. Is that what you meant?

But due to his implants he can win a brawl in a dark city alley without so much as a scratch.

I'd like to see that in an RP before I believe it. Show you can RP fight first before setting your character up as someone who can go throw brawls without a scratch. It's best not to state these things.

Otherwise, much better. I'm liking the parents not being dead.

Zakalwe does have a point, winning a back ally fight without a scratch would really depend on how many people you are up against and whether they have weapons. Try to show his skills more in IC RP than history!

@Zakalwe

The the area where scar is supposed to be is where incisions for major adjustments to the implant system are made.

About the 12-year old explorer part, I did not mean it to be that way; I mean Reil can't be THAT experienced and knowledgeable at that point. Sorry for the ambiguity. Bio updated.

And about the Fighting and Physical Skills, I'm editing them. Thanks for the tips. Bio updated.

I've deleted the second post. Please see the first. Sorry for the inconvenience.

It is much better now, but I am not so sure about the part in skills "pretty much has working knowledge of everything" that is over the top and quite silly.

Has this bio been abandoned?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back