• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Restrict "Human but Not" Species?

Species that are basically humans...

• ...should no longer be accepted

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ...should still be accepted

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
We're constantly getting submissions of a "new species" that is not a new species at all, just humans with modified ears and special ablities. We don't need any more of those; the Nekovalkyrja have the super-human niche well covered. Having almost every "alien" possess obviously human characteristics cheapens the RP setting. This isn't supposed to be Star Trek. So, I propose we ask species designers to stop coming up with modified humans (at least for the next few months) and instead post some alien life forms,.

Do you agree?

I agree with this. Nepleslians cover humans, Geshrin/Yamatains are super humans (disease resistance, etc), and Neko are the human-like machines with personalities.

There's enough room for variation (cybernetics, etc) within these three types of races. Even genes can be manipulated to a certain extent.

So yes, let's make some aliens! :)

I certainly agree with this, as long as we understand that not making 'human' like species does not neccesarily mean non-humanoid.

More I think we should go for a species which has a very different personality to humans, whose cultural identity is nothing at all like anything we'd recognise as 'human'. Their biology should preferably be different, and not just humans + something else, but something fundamentaly and completely different from humans.

Some really alien creatures would certainly be welcomed, but I certainly understand that these are harder to RP.

I shall abstain my vote for now.

I am kinda conflicted on the subject. If we introduce non-humanoid species, we'd end up having some trouble with interaction between player characters. >_> Not to mention they'd most likely get vaporised anyway.

On the other hand, some different lifeforms may be pretty nice to have, if only there was more incentive for new species to be introduced.

I heartily agree with the opening post. I'd elaborate more, but the important stuff has already been said.

As for Tomoe's remark, well, I say this: how come people in the SARP can deal with extremely advanced technology, but not culturally alien species to them? This is the stuff science fiction is made of!

I also totally support that new sentient species don't necessarely share the same level of military technology as the Star Army of Yamatai. Interaction doesn't merely means that it will be limited to the SAoY and the new alien race: there is more to that afterward when one race starts dealing with other races around them too.

Its a lot like that one episode of Star Trek TOS, where Kirk and Spock encounter that one silicone based life form in those mines. If it was not for Spock's mindmeld, the creature would have remained misunderstood. When it was only defending it's natural habitat and offspring. @_@

You know, I kind of agree here, but you've got to remember the balance.

On one hand, you have the Star Trek-type situation. Every race except for a couple is humanoid. In fact, most of these races are either identical or mostly identical to humans. And they have precicely the same tech level, and they're all evenly matched, despite supposedly being completely separate. Patently ridiculous, especially considering the lack of technological trade.

But on the other, it's really really really hard to come up with anything truly alien, at least while still remaining in the realm of believeability. There's a reason most alien races in sci-fi are still humanoid (besides a lack of creativity) - that's what humans think of when they think "intelligent lifeform".

So, should near-identical human races be restricted? Probably. But should we turn away everything that people come up with just because it stands on two feet? I say not.

This probably wasn't at all your intention, but I thought this would clear things up for some people.

Edit: ...crap, you already made all my points. This is what happens when I only skim the thread.

HATE forums...

FM said:
But on the other, it's really really really hard to come up with anything truly alien, at least while still remaining in the realm of believeability. There's a reason most alien races in sci-fi are still humanoid (besides a lack of creativity) - that's what humans think of when they think "intelligent lifeform".

I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree.

I've seen a sci-fi setting where, besides humans, there were:
A race of giant (human-sized) cockroaches.
A race of beings with a tiny torso and eight long legs (with at most four touching the ground at any one time).
A race of one-armed rock-like beings. There's a stump, one eye, and an arm. That's it.
A race of beings composed of thousands of thin, interconnected strands (think tumbleweed).

The setting was made for table-top roleplaying, and so was fairly balanced. The humans were adaptable. The rocks were clumsy but hardy. The tumbleweeds were weak but agile. The cockroaches weren't as smart as the humans, but probably recovered from missing limbs more gracefully, and so on.

We can achieve balance without making every race human-like. The only reason several species in the Star Army setting are human-like is very simple: they're all descendants of humanity; they're divergent branches on the human evolutionary tree (although the evolution is mostly artificial in this case).

Plus, I'm quite proud of the fact that this is the only setting that I'm aware of that have tentacle monsters. :3

Yangfan said:
We can achieve balance without making every race human-like. The only reason several species in the Star Army setting are human-like is very simple: they're all descendants of humanity; they're divergent branches on the human evolutionary tree (although the evolution is mostly artificial in this case).

Well, I said it was hard, not impossible. That said, I do believe we are missing one point: in a social RP like this, it's a lot easier to relate to humanoid characters, both our own and others. So there's an element of practicality to that. People are better at playing people than walking carpets.

I mean, how much personality can you give a walking carpet? ;)

A lot, considering what Disney did to the magic carpet in the Aladdin animated movies.

The only true reason why humanoid races in Star Trek are humanoid most of the time is because, well, our actors are humans. There are only so many aliens you can do with spots, tattoos, markings, bony deformities, etc...

In a written medium such as this one, it's our strength to be able to range out farther than this. Of course, we are still closeted by the range of our comprehension and outlook on those things, but this is mostly curtailed by the limits our imagination allow.

I, for one, know I can imagine some very alien species ^_^

We'll probably be fine as long as no one makes a tentacle race. >.>

"Good news everyone! We're here to deliver this tentacle monster to Hentai 9, the schoolgirl planet!"

...maybe I should have reconsidered my character's gender. XD

That said, I have looked at quite a bit of the materials, but not all. (Kinda hard to navigate, the site is.)

What are you having a problem with? Most of the information can be found quite easily as long as you spend some effort working out the system.

For reference's sake, I want to note that this restriction is currently in effect, at least for a few months or so, based on the results of this discussion and poll.

Wes said:
the Nekovalkyrja have the super-human niche well covered.

Your kidding right? To be honest the only thing "remotely" human about the neko is their appearance. I might be looking too much into this but its what is on the inside that makes someone human, and I'm not just talking about internal organs here. I know this isn't the thread for it, but I believe a reason a lot of people don't want to body switch is they don't want to give up being human.

The sacrifice made to gain power. The easy way out you could say.

Sorry just felt the need to get that off my chest.

Though I get the feeling somebody is going to argue that the soul is what makes us human. Interesting concept if you believe that humans are the only beings with souls.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back